What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: O.E.M. anyone?  (Read 5082 times)

ladeyday

• Lookin' to get wet
O.E.M. anyone?
« on: May 12, 2005, 02:36:32 pm »
Last evening, I visited the new Cal Spa showroom here in Albuquerque. The salesman told me that there were only 4 O.E.M. (“Original E_ _ _ _ Manufacturers”) & that’s what I should choose from as they’ve been in business for quite some time, and parts would always be available. He said that the O.E.M. are Cal Spa, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, & Sundance. Was this legitimate information or a sales pitch?
BTW, I have the bad habit of leaving on the TV while asleep & last night just happen to awake to a Infomercial about Hot Springs. Does anyone think that prophetic?     ???
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 02:38:10 pm by ladeyday »

Hot Tub Forum

O.E.M. anyone?
« on: May 12, 2005, 02:36:32 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: O.E.M. anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 03:00:50 pm »
That sounds like some kind of squirrelly sales pitch to me and has no bearing on what brand of spa is the best one for you.

As far as your prophetic moment, far be it from me to try and dissuade you from pursuing it further! ;D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 03:05:06 pm »
From what I know that is a false statement ... Everyone buys some parts from people who produce for them ....

Soakin

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 03:05:18 pm »
Sales pitch.  While there is definitely merit to the idea of staying with reputable manufacturers and dealers, there are more names than that on the list, and usually CalSpas isn't one of them.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:25:58 pm »
In my line of work the term OEM has a Different meaning and has for years.  I've certainly never heard  it used in this context. Good day!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 03:26:12 pm »
I think your waking to the HS infomercial was a prophecy to discontinue looking at Cal Spa and look at the quality manufacturers!!

Just my opinion, take it fwiw, I own a HotSpring Vanguard!!!   ;D
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 03:36:43 pm »
Sales pitch? I think not. Exaggerating is one thing, but to go from the over 150 spa manufacturers in the US to a claim of only 4 is way beyond a simple "sales pitch".

Although............ just exactly what is being considered as an OEM????? Most of the spa "manufacturers" acquire 90% or so of the parts for the spa elsewhere and assemble those parts into a portable spa.

"that’s what I should choose from as they’ve been in business for quite some time, and parts would always be available."

So length of time in business is an important indication??? Ok, many many small regional and smaller national manufacturers have also been in business a long time (I'm thinking 15 to 20 years is a "long time")

Cal Spas was sold to completely new owners about 4 years ago (it may have been longer). It has almost the same chance of failing as any other 4 year old company (almost).

Jacuzzi bought Sundance a couple of years ago. More than one company has gone under from too fast of growth.

Hot Springs has the curse of a Colorado spa "maker" promising to put them out of business within 2 years.

I personally know a company that makes less than 1000 spas a year, considerably less. They have a very high quality product and provide some of the best customer service I've heard of, and have been doing so for over 20 years.

Please note, none of this mean Cal Spas would be a bad choice for you, just that the salesman you talked to was a putz.

Remember, if no one bought from putz salesmen, we'd all still be driving a horse and carriage.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 03:46:11 pm »
I personally know a company that makes less than 1000 spas a year, considerably less. They have a very high quality product and provide some of the best customer service I've heard of, and have been doing so for over 20 years. .

Should I be the one to ask you who that is  ;D

Lots of good points.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ladeyday

• Lookin' to get wet
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 03:46:20 pm »
Well, also got my Hot Springs catalog that same day..........
Who's the manufacturer making less than 1,000 spas per year? Getting wet doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought it would be.   ::)

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 04:29:07 pm »
Well, also got my Hot Springs catalog that same day..........
Who's the manufacturer making less than 1,000 spas per year? Getting wet doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought it would be.   ::)

Nah, I'll leave that way alone 8)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 04:30:16 pm »
Last evening, I visited the new Cal Spa showroom here in Albuquerque.

I suggest you avoid a return engagement until you do a thorough search on this website and others regarding CalSpas.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 05:15:54 pm »

Should I be the one to ask you who that is  ;D

Lots of good points.

You can ask, but it's not my company.  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 05:21:21 pm »
 HotSpring is a good company, they make a fine tub, and they back it well.  

They offer a great variety of jets, and most dealers will invite you to wet test.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ladeyday

• Lookin' to get wet
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 05:45:12 pm »
You better believe that I kept in mind what I'd read here about Cal Spa. Went there because it was on the way home.
Just thank my lucky statrs I discovered this site.  :D

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 05:47:59 pm »
In my line of work the term OEM has a Different meaning and has for years.  I've certainly never heard  it used in this context. Good day!

;Dcute code, subliminal advertising, you should be banned ;D

"Cal Spas was sold to completely new owners about 4 years ago (it may have been longer). It has almost the same chance of failing as any other 4 year old company (almost). " ???

Unless Casey (or is it K.C.) Lloyd sold, he was the largest outstanding creditor that took it over when it went down and out in '96 and all of their past owners are still trying to get unavailable proprietary parts they can't find anyplace. >:( :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 05:47:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42