What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cameo Owners  (Read 3234 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Cameo Owners
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:35 am »
Any Cameo owners wish they would have bought an Optima?  The Cameo didn't make my list since it has a lounger.  

My local dealer has a 2004 Cameo floor model loaded (less stereo) for $6800.  The only catch is the mechanical warrantee is cut from 5 years to 2 years.  I'm 6'1" and the lounger actually feels pretty good to me sitting in it dry.  Unfortunately, they don't have a wet Cameo or Optima on their floor.  They do have a wet Maxus but I want to wet test the same spa. The spa will be used primarily by myself and my wife--we also have two small kids.  I would hate to buy the Cameo and then not like the lounger.  

The only other way to wet test a Cameo would be to drive an hour away to the next closest dealer.  I don't want to waste his time.  Do dealers ever reciprocate in these situations? What should I do?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Cameo Owners
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:35 am »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Re: Cameo Owners
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:20:39 am »
The only other way to wet test a Cameo would be to drive an hour away to the next closest dealer.  I don't want to waste his time.  Do dealers ever reciprocate in these situations? What should I do?

I say make the drive. If you wet test the Cameo at the other dealer during regular working hours, how much are you really  inconveniencing them? I imagine most people in sales (I'm not) are use to "100 no's to every one yes" in successful sales. What's more important? The right decision for you or someone else's sales quota? Who know, they may even give you a better deal!

I found that dry vs wet testing the lounger seats were the biggest reason to do a wet test, due to the floating issue.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:44:39 am »
 Do dealers ever reciprocate in these situations? What should I do?

The opinions of the dealers here will be interesting, but if your up front with this remote dealer and he is willing then go for it. Both dealers probably depend a lot on good will and word of mouth.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 08:52:17 am »
The only catch is the mechanical warrantee is cut from 5 years to 2 years.

This would bother me... If this spa was in their showroom for the past year I would assume it's been cared for properly.  Why would they not offer a full warranty?  If they had said 4 years then I can maybe understand as it's been in use for a year.  But 2?  They're suggesting that 1 year on a showroom is like 3 years of 'normal' use...  Something doesn't seem right there.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:51:38 am »

This would bother me.

Agree, especially since it's dry...has it ever been used?

To put things in perspective, I paid $7299 base price (before any of the listed extras/delivery/taxes) for a 2005 Optima. Sounds fishy to me.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:59:26 am »
I found out the 2004 Cameo is a return gone over by the factory as new--drain repaired.  It looks perfect but only comes with a 2 year warrantee.  Maybe not the way to go?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 04:02:40 pm by Gomboman »

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:00:37 pm »
Try offering them less than $6800, see what they're really willing to take for the spa.
Brewman
Brewman

Soakin

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:34:01 pm »
... Unfortunately, they don't have a wet Cameo or Optima on their floor...  The only other way to wet test a Cameo would be to drive an hour away to the next closest dealer.  I don't want to waste his time.... What should I do?

It seems to me that if your dealer wants to sell a unit that had a problem (factory refurbished or not), with a downgraded warranty, and you are a serious prospect -- he/she should be willing to fill it so you can wet test it to make sure it works for you, as well as confirm the repairs are complete.  It seems unreasonable for them to ask you to make the drive, or use the other dealer to provide a service he is unwilling to.

By the way, how much of a discount is this compared to an 05 with a full warranty?

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 04:23:24 pm »
I think they are like everyone else and want $8500 for an 05.

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 06:15:09 pm »
Simply explain your serious interest and would like to wet test that particular unit if for some reason it is discounted that you would like to confirm it meets your expectations.  At best, I would think it is what might be referred to as a "red tag" sold by Sundance at discount making available a good quality product at discount.

Ask if the 2004 had a 5 year EQ & plumbing warranty, why would it only be 2 years now??  Is something deficent.  Then it's a $1700 decision.  $6800 is very attractive though.  I don't envy your dilema.  Good luck with your decision. :)

naperguy12

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 07:22:00 pm »
Sundance Cameo owner here too.  My opinion on this would be YES, good (not great) price for a refurbished model.  I would try to push them a little bit to try and fill it for you to make sure any leaks had been repaired properly.  If they are confident of the repairs, they shouldn't have a problem with the filling of the spa.

As far as price goes, it's a good price and is directly in correlation with the warranty involved.  I would shoot for a couple hundred more off the price.

They probably won't budge on the warranty, but that wouldn't be a big concern for me after having my Cameo.  I had a few minor initial problems within the first 3-4 months of owning my tub, and none since.  I am now going on my 5th year with it.  And don't get me wrong, the initial problems I had were in fact very minor and repaired quickly.

It is a nice tub, and to answer your very first question, if I had it to do over again, YES I would in fact pick the Optima.  I don't care for the lounger that much.  It does feel comfortable in a dry test, and it's comfortable wet also, just not my favorite position to be in while tubbing.

Hope this helps.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 07:22:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42