What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tiger River Caspian vs Sundance Bahia?  (Read 4540 times)

WoodlandsTexas

Tiger River Caspian vs Sundance Bahia?
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:00 am »
To all who post here, thanks for some great info on a complex purchase - Greatly Appreciated and very helpful.

Wondering if anyone here would pay $1000 more for a similar model Tiger River/Hot Spring over a Sundance and why?

Visited three dealers today, D-1, Hot Springs, and Sundance to find a 4-5 person, open seating hot tub for myself, wife, and two children for relaxing/un-winding.
Regular use of a defribulator has restored heartbeat at each price unveiling as we toured the show rooms.  (I could use the hot tub now to recover)

Agree with other newbies that buying a hot tub is an uncomfortable exprerience due to lack of info on fair price.  Want to pay a fair price and keep a good dealer in business, but also don't want everyone at the dealership to be doing high fives with each other after I leave with a hot tub purchased.

Did not gain confidence/warm fuzzy from local D-1 dealer operation, so ruled them out, though the product looked good.

Owned a Sundance in late 90s in Austin, good experience.  Hanging out in the tub became a family ritual/tradition.  Just purchased new home in The Woodlands, TX and looking to add patio and hot tub.  

Out of ignorance, set aside/budgeted just $5K cash for hot tub for new house.  Now looking for a good value for family.  After wet testing today, we did not see value in $9K-$10K for the top of the line technology/jets/options., etc..  Like to own nice toys, but still drive old Honda that won't die.

Hoping to receive some feedback on fairness of quoted prices for these 2005 tubs compared to whay you paid plus any thoughts from any who have looked closely at these two tubs.  Would like to hear things you like about these tubs and things they wish were improved/better.  Would anyone here pay $1000 more for a Tiger River/Hot Springs Caspain vs a Sundance Bahia and why?

Both prices listed below are quoted without sales tax with cover, steps, delivery, start-up-chem, pneumatic cover lifter.

Tiger River Caspian:  $7,095
Sundance Bahia: $5,900

Both tubs seem pretty close features/size wise, but based on price, leaning towards the Bahia.  We wet tested similar models at dealership, dry tested these particular models.

Thanks for your help,

Hoping to restore family tradition in The Woodlands,

Hot Tub Forum

Tiger River Caspian vs Sundance Bahia?
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:00 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Tiger River Caspian vs Sundance Bahia?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 08:35:41 am »
Sounds like you made your choice.  If you liked the Bahia, go for it, it will make a good spa.  Tiger River would be fine as well.  Whatever one fits you better, fits your budget, etc....
Just wondering if these spas are both from the same model year.  Is the Bahia possibly a 2004 model, and the Tiger River a 2005?  
Reason I'm asking, is a friend just bought a 2004 floor model Bahia, for about the same price you listed, but he didn't get a pnumatic lifter, just a manual one.
So I'd say your price on the Bahia is pretty good.  Don't know as much about Tiger River/Hot Springs, so can't comment on the price of that one.
Brewman
Brewman

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 09:00:18 am »
Based on price and knowing both product, I would go for the Bahia.  It seems a bit below average on price.  If it is '04 go for it as well, the only thing that changed wat the nameplate, unles manufactured after May 16 warranty is 5 years instead of 3 on EQ.

One other thought, wet test them both and make that $1,000 decision.  Right now it looks like Bahia.

WoodlandsTexas

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 09:01:16 am »
Thanks for the post,  They are both 2005 models

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 09:02:09 am »
The Bahia’s price will be going up in the next month due to the increase in the warranty from 3 years to 5 years.  However, this will only be for spas produced after May 16, 2005.  
I would buy the Bahia over the Caspian if both prices were the same and if the Bahia's warranty was 3 years.

jet757f

• Sundance Palermo
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:37:02 am »
I am new to this forum but have been looking for a hot tub for the past couple of weeks in the southern california area.
Yes very confusing with so many manufacturers and options.
I am looking for a 5-6 seat in the 5-6K range. We have not wet tested anything because it is hard for my wife and I to be able to get to Spa Dealers when they are open.

I found a 2004 floor model Bahia at a local Sundance dealer for $5,800 total... tax included price. This includes cover steps ozonator and starter chemicals. I am just wondering if this is a good deal. I am concerned knowing that this is the lower line of Sundance (Sweetwater) Spas. What quality is missing??

I also looked at Jacuzzi and really liked the 385 but the price was around 7600.

What is the D1 that I see everyone talking about?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 09:41:44 am »
No quality is missing.  You get less of a warranty, different pumps, jets, controller, etc... Less options to choose from, but the overall build quality should be fine.
Brewman
Brewman

Michigander

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 10:32:05 am »
My wife and I were in the same situation.  She liked the Caspian more and I like the Bahia more.  When i told her that we still needed to spend about $500 on electrical hookup then another $2k on the gazebo (required by homeowners association).  The choice was clear.  We chose the Bahia.  For all intents and purposes the slightly more that she liked the Caspian was greatly outweighed by the the savings.

Of course you may find the value proposition in the other direction it is only a $1k difference and you should be enjoying the tub for a long time so the price difference is not that great.

jet757f

• Sundance Palermo
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 01:32:57 pm »
Have you been happy with your Bahia??

Texas_Tubs

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 04:31:21 pm »
I am live in The Woodlands Too.  Where in The Woodlands did you move too.  I work for a Spa Company who carries Caldera Spas in Conroe.  If you want to email me I can give you all of the info.  

WoodlandsTexas

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 06:33:59 pm »
"What is the D1 that I see everyone talking about?"

D1 is Dimension 1 Spas, mentioned several times on this web site as a a top tier along with Marquis, Hot Springs, and Sundance.  D1 website is http://www.d1spas.com..   Their high end line is very pricey (10K - 15K)  

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 07:29:58 am »
Hi,  We purchased the Tiger River Caspian in July 04.  We were also looking at the Bahia.  We chose the Caspian over the Bahia for the longer warranity, jet power, and how it is insulated since we live in Michigan where it gets really cold.  We love our Caspian, the highest electric bill we had this winter (temps 0-10 at times) was about $25 extra per month.  We are running about $10-$15 per month now.  Of course I recommend the Caspian because we love ours.    :) :) :) Lynnette
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:30:47 am by lynnette »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 07:29:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42