What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moving a used Sundance Tub  (Read 2273 times)

squinnman

Moving a used Sundance Tub
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:09:20 pm »
Yesterday I moved a "gifted" sundance tub (1989 Cabernet)that I had seen function prior to lifting it out.  Once it was hoisted, the insulation underneath was soaked...what to make of that?  Is this a serious issue or normal wear and tear from a 15 year old tum that I'm gettng for free.  Is it worth the hassle?

It is sitting in the original yard on its side as I'm awaiting direction and advise from here...cancel the deal or take it and have fun with it.  It does work...but will it be a nightmare.  Nothing is ever free right?

Hot Tub Forum

Moving a used Sundance Tub
« on: May 10, 2005, 12:09:20 pm »

Soakin

Re: Moving a used Sundance Tub
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 02:10:10 pm »
Like you said nothing is ever "free", but getting a functioning spa at no cost is a good place to start, leak or not.  Whether to take it or not depends on a lot of factors.  Here are a few that pop to mind:

1.  Are you able to handle repairs to plumbing and electical components yourself?  A free 16 year old tub is a good place to learn about spas, but would become expensive quickly if you have to bring in a professional.
2.  Will you be placing this in a location where a leak could cause damage to something else?
3.  Regarding location, do you already have place to put the spa, or do you have to spend time and money on site prep and electrical?
4.  Does it come with a good cover, filter and chemicals, or will that also add to costs?
5.  How much time and money are you willing and able to spend on this project?
6.  If you decide down the road that it is too much trouble, can you get rid of it inexpensively?

If those questions still leave you wanting to take this on... to the question at hand!  The wet insulation is probably a leak, but since you said you had to lift it out, I suppose it is possible that it was sitting somewhere water collects, and the insulation just soaked it up (not likely).  Either way, you will need to evaluate the the frame for rot and check to make sure on the leak.   Ask the previous owner how much water had to be added and how often.  Look for signs of long term water damage on the spa and in its previous location.  Perhaps removing the wet insulation while the spa is on its side will lead you to an obvious failure.  If not, to check for leaks you will need to place it somewhere it can be run (ideally on blocks so you can get under it to see where the water is travelling) add water and dye, run it and then follow the trail of the dye.  

Good luck!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 02:19:08 pm »
Put as little money as possible into this spa, it's nearing the end of it's life- it's not an Arctic, you know!!  ;)

Some things to consider-

Are replacement parts still available?
How much will replacing the now useless insulation cost?
Are local service people able or willing to work on the spa if you need that service, or is it too old?
If you get a year or two out of it, how will you get rid of it, how much might that cost?
Can you move this spa without damaging it?

You may come out all right, you may end up with a white elephant.  
Brewman
Brewman

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 07:35:07 pm »
Look at it this way, the price is right.  If you can accomplish the move, do it. soakin and Brewman make some very good points, at least in the moving process if it crumbles simply take it to the dump.  If it holds together, get it home wire it up, use it for 3 or 4 months and then decide if you really like hottubing.  If you do, start shopping.  You will be better informed by your experience and dealers may look at you as a second time buyer. ::)

What have you got to loose.  Go for it, and get your buddies snowmobile trailer and get it over to your place, then come back and we will help you with your challenges. ;D ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:23:34 pm »
Squinnman's bio puts him in Van Nuys, CA.
Not sure how many snowmobile trailers might be around!   ;)
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:23:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42