What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Enough Deck Strength & Support??  (Read 3894 times)

Neohcouple

Enough Deck Strength & Support??
« on: May 08, 2005, 02:05:44 pm »
I am having my HS Vanguard delivered next week.  I am in the process of starting the deck tomorrow.  Just wanted to see & make sure that I have enough support.

The deck is 27'x16' & I am using plastic deck boards.  It will no more than 30" off the ground.  There are 9 posts (4x4x8) cemented in the ground 44-48" inches down(3 posts in each row).  Attached to these posts are 2-2x8's on each row.  On top of these are 2x8 stringers spaced 12"o.c.  Hot Springs says that the tub will weigh approximately 5,039 pounds when filled with water (400 gallons) & 5-6 people in it.  

Any thoughts or opinions??  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Enough Deck Strength & Support??
« on: May 08, 2005, 02:05:44 pm »

nicker

Re: Enough Deck Strength & Support??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:59:54 am »
This is a question that only a structural person can tell you.   Its allot of weight on a deck when you consider the tub, water, people in it, movement and what ever other deck items you will have on it.   I think you are on the right track.   How ever I would personnally change a few items.   My deck is about 24" off the ground.   I used cement pillars with rebar in them and then the set a bolt in the center of each on and used the deck hangers to put my beams in. Then put my joists on top on 12" on center.  The things I would change is I wouldn't cement the 4x4 in the ground, I would pour footings/pillars and use the galvanized brackets to hold your beams in place.  For decks its nice to avoid any wood contact with the ground surface.   I would also beef up the beams to 2x10 or 2x12 doubled up.  Its just a peice of mind knowing your deck is going to last.

Good luck

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:20:52 pm »
Our deck, which is 8' off grade, is way overbuilt but I'm happy it is......8x8 pilings in 2' diameter concrete 4' deep topped with 3 2x12's topped with 2x10's on 8" centers under the tub and 16" centers under the rest of the deck.  The decking is 2x6's.  This baby doesn't move one iota. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Orthofunk

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:22:58 pm »
I just had a deck built to support the Sundance Maxxus.  It is 12'X16' and about 24" off the ground.  
A structural engineer OK'd the following plan:

6 6X6 posts set in concrete with double 2X10 beams
2X10 stringers at 16" on center.

The deck builder notched out the posts where the 2X10 beams go for added support.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:22:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42