What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ceiling Fans  (Read 6956 times)

JJ

• Vita Nuage
Ceiling Fans
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:20:30 pm »
I am preparing the site for my new Vita spa by pouring a slab under an existing deck.  I am planning to put a ceiling under the deck and wanted a ceiling fan as well because it gets REALLY hot here in Atlanta (and its not a dry heat) in the summertime.  Is there any reason, code or otherwise, not to put a fan above the tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Ceiling Fans
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:20:30 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Ceiling Fans
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:34:33 pm »
Call your local inspectors. They are the best ones to answer this question. They may have stricter codes than the national codes.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 10:01:45 am »
 Yes, call your inspector. There are different codes for outside vs inside pools and spas, and I don't know how they would categorize your setup.

For my inside spa, my city uses the 2000 IRC, which states if the fan is within 5' horizon of the inside of the spa wall; it has to be 7'6" above the maximum water level and on a GFI circuit. If it is 12' or higher, it doesn't need the GFI.

Light fixtures are the same, unless they are rated for "damp locations", such as a shower recess light. Then they can be closer.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 11:33:33 am »
I can't imagine it being called an indoor location by any stretch of the imagination. No walls, no screens just a covered (8 ft ceiling) patio.    Just want to move some air around enough to keep the bugs off and keep faces cooled off. I plan to use an outdoor rated ceiling fan on a GFI circuit with all controls on the wall of the house or on a remote. I can understand that standing in the tub reaching up trying to turn the fan on, off, or changing speeds would be an indicator of questionable judgement.  Does anyone else have a similar setup?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 11:38:30 am »
 I haven't heard of it a ceiling fan install over a spa, but I have heard of people installing mist nozzles for their spa.  Supposed to work quite well.  
You'd for sure want to check with your local inspector on installing an electric fan above you spa.
Brewman
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 02:09:12 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Kulta

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 01:45:42 pm »
Yes check the local codes. re the ceiling fan check with Air King Ventilation Products about their Builders Choice 52 " Porch Fans made for use in humid areas . <<877-304-3785>> Other than being owners we have no connection with Air King  

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 03:05:31 pm »
So Brewman, I should ask for permission instead of forgiveness? ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 03:09:35 pm »
That little saying doesn't count for building inspectors, it mostly counts for spouses, significant other's, and bosses.
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 10:54:37 pm »
 We have some friends that put a fan over their inside spa; the inspector made them take it down.

Of course, as soon as he left, they slapped it back up again. And yes, after a few brews, they will climb up on the cool down seat to adjust the fan speed. ::)

If the man won't let you install the ceiling fan, you could always get one of those portable stand mounted jobbers. Tacky, but would get the job done.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 08:58:56 am »
We have some friends that put a fan over their inside spa; the inspector made them take it down.

Of course, as soon as he left, they slapped it back up again. And yes, after a few brews, they will climb up on the cool down seat to adjust the fan speed. ::)

And, of course, that is the reason.  Also related to the reason for not allowing an electrical switch or receptacle within 5' of the edge of the tub.  Not only is there an electrical shock issue, there is the potential for a fall when reaching for a switch.....like standing on the cooldown seat.  Follow johnvb's advice and get either a stand mounted fan or a wall mounted fan that is not over the tub.  Or put the fan over your tub and take the chance......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 08:58:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42