What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Itchy Skin  (Read 7329 times)

matthaliburton

Itchy Skin
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:22:57 pm »
We recently bought a hot tub (last July).  For the first month and a half my wife had no problems using our tub.  One day she went in the sun without spf on and she develped a heat rash (as diagnosed by our family doctor).  The rash dissappeared a month or so later.  Since then, she has had problems with itchy skin after using our tub and is scared to use it.  Does anyone know if chemically I may be doing something wrong?   :-[We use bromine tabs in a floater.  The parts per million on our last test were 7.  Any help is appreciated.  Please email me at matt.haliburton@gmail.com.

Hot Tub Forum

Itchy Skin
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:22:57 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Itchy Skin
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 11:15:24 pm »
Matt,

We bought our hot tub last August and had similar issues.  It wasn't heat rash but we did experience a lot of itchy and dry skin.  We also started with a bromine floater with bromine tabs.

We have since changed to using dichlor instead of bromine and we've seen a SIGNIFICANT difference.

In addition to the itchy dry skin we had other issues with bromine.  We kept on getting into a situation where our bromine levels would creep to very high levels and sometimes would take a week or so to come down.  With an ozonator the ideal range for bromine is in the 1-2 ppm (if not lower).  We would see it up at 7,8, 10 all the time.  A result was that our ph would go through the roof.  This caused our alkalinity to drop and the end result for us was that we never had really clear water and had lots of foaming issues.

Now, we add 2tsp of dichlor after every use and 2-3 tbsp of dichlor as a shock once a week.  Water has been crystal clear and it's been great on our skin.  For us the idea of bromine initially was that we thought it would be easier... just add the tabs and your done.  Putting in the dichlor is not as big a deal as I thought it would be and we're much happier now.

I'm not telling you to switch but it's something to consider.  If you want to stick with bromine you may want to try something a bit different like Brilliance or another granular type of bromine where you can control the levels a bit easier.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

fletch49

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 06:44:55 am »
Matt,

In addition to the itchy dry skin we had other issues with bromine.  We kept on getting into a situation where our bromine levels would creep to very high levels and sometimes would take a week or so to come down.  With an ozonator the ideal range for bromine is in the 1-2 ppm (if not lower).  We would see it up at 7,8, 10 all the time.  A result was that our ph would go through the roof.  This caused our alkalinity to drop and the end result for us was that we never had really clear water and had lots of foaming issues.

Ken

The first couple of weeks I had the tub, I had the exact same experience with Bromine. The level would creep up into the 8-10 range, and this was causing my pH and Alkalinity to do strange things, all causing very itchy dry skin.

Although, I stuck with bromine, I am able to keep the level down to the 1-3 range with the bromine floater by almost keeping it closed, and using about 1 oz of shock after I have used the tub.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 09:13:41 am by Spazz »

thomaswave

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 11:13:19 am »
Turn the temp down on the hottub. If mine is to hot I itch also. I keep mine at 101

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:32:43 am »
Turn the temp down on the hottub. If mine is to hot I itch also. I keep mine at 101

That can certainly be a factor. I know if my sanitizer level is too high I notice it much faster at higher temps. In this case I mostly notice it in the feet and ankles. A quick rinse in cold water relieves the itch.  But at the proper sanitizer level I can stay in 104 for 20-40 minutes, depending on weather, with no itching.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

matthaliburton

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:25:47 am »
Thanks for all of the help folks.  We keep our tub set at 99 in summer and 100 in winter.  We don't like it too hot.  I am going to try to a switch to dichlor soon (next water change).  In the mean time I am trying to keep my bromine levels in a low but safe range.

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 12:59:45 pm »
Bromine is acidic, so a high level will inevitably cause low pH and dry, itchy skin.  A switch to Di-Chlor will likely resolve your wife's challenges.  With Di-Chlor, if you maintain the recommended level, your pH should remain stable.

lookin4

• HuH
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 08:55:34 pm »
Matt,
See if the mail man has an itch also.That is what I suspect. ;D ;D ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 08:55:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42