What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 3659 times)

coopie

Diabetes
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:35:08 am »
Hello everyone! My boyfriend is diabetic. Does anyone have any knowledge about whether hot tub use is OK for him?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Diabetes
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:35:08 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:48:03 am »
While there have been some studies, and New England Journal of Medicine published at least one study back in 1999, the ONLY person that can answer this is your boyfriend's doctor.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

nicker

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 10:14:14 am »
my wife is diabetic aswell.  But as mentioned. I would definetly get the doctors aproval first as everyone is different.  But from what we read is that hot tubs improve circulation and diabetics can have poor circulation so we have read that hot tubs can help.  Again everyone is different so double check with the doctor.    The key is also knowing how long you can stay in and that also can depend on what the temperature is at.  I know 101 is all I can take and about 1/2 hour is my limit.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 10:21:13 am »
I would definitely talk to your doctor.  I think a hot tub is good and recommended for SOME diabetics and NOT GOOD for others.  I think it is recommended that those with Type 2 Diabeties do NOT use them as it has an adverse affect.  (might be another type... I'm not exactly sure)  Bottom line is you need to talk to your doctor.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

mowgli1

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 10:29:22 am »
I am a diabetic also. Your friend's tolerance to hot water will depend on the side effects the disease has imposed on his body. I suffer from neuropathy  in my feet, so I have to be very careful about exposing them to extreme heat or cold. Damage could be done w/o even realizing it. Hypertension and coronary disease are other conditions that require caution.

My doctor's opinion is that hydrotherapy is beneficial as it improves circulation. His opinion is one hundred degrees would be the maximum temp for safety. Your friend should consult his own doctor for advice pertinent to his condition. Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 10:57:14 am by mowgli1 »

fatman

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 12:17:19 pm »
If he has open sores on his feet or is prone to open sores, be sure to tell other people who may use the tub. Even with all the filtration, chemicals and microban used on modern tubs mucous membranes still absorb foreign material, especially if tubbing at the same time as your boyfriend.

mowgli1

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 12:25:05 pm »
If he has open sores on his feet or is prone to open sores, be sure to tell other people who may use the tub. Even with all the filtration, chemicals and microban used on modern tubs mucous membranes still absorb foreign material, especially if tubbing at the same time as your boyfriend.

No one should be in a hot tub with an open wound
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 12:43:18 pm by mowgli1 »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 02:24:03 pm »
Here's some more details...

http://www.rhtubs.com/diabetes.htm
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 02:24:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42