What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What got you interested in Hot Tubs?  (Read 4778 times)

J._McD

What got you interested in Hot Tubs?
« on: May 02, 2005, 12:19:32 pm »
Some people shop for 2 years, some for 2 days.  What is it that got you interested in a Hot Tub and what were the motivating factors?   ???

How long have you been looking or did it take for you to find the right one? ???

Hot Tub Forum

What got you interested in Hot Tubs?
« on: May 02, 2005, 12:19:32 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: What got you interested in Hot Tubs?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 01:29:22 pm »
J mcd,
I've wanted a tub for quite some time.....just didn't have or couldn't make myself spring for the bucks earlier.  My house is at the beach on pilings 8' off the ground built in 1980.  The windows and exterior door were due for replacement.  Local coastal codes did not allow me to replace windows/doors without using the new hi impact rated units UNLESS one had a shutter system where shutters could be installled without the use of a ladder.  The hi impact units were very costly so I decided to refinance the house (rates were about at the bottom 2.5 years ago when I refied) and pull enough equity out to build an 8' high walkway around the house (in order to install a removable plywood shutter system) with a deck out the front which would be engineered to support a tub....and I included enough equity to get the cost of the tub included as well.  So, to answer your question, I searched for about 10 months to find the tub of my choice.  I wanted it to be installed before the deck railing was installed....as it turned out, the contractor made an +8' section of the railing easily removable so that the tub could squeeze in with a fork lift, which it did.  The total project also included new vinyl windows, exterior door, vinyl siding and plywood shutter system (which, if you are interested, is VERY cost efficient and can be seen at PlyFASTner ) and the total time for the project, from refinance to final inspection, was about 16 months.  Cost for the whole thing was about $55,000....and worth every penny. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:03:17 pm »
Well I have been looking for about 10 months with the last 3 or 4 being very serious. My wife has a very HIGH stress job Myself I am self employed= HIGHSTRESS sometimes ;D and just want a place to unwind winter or summer without the TV or Computer. Also to connect with our 11 year old son without the "plugs".

We have 2 big dogs so the weekend trips are limited because of kennel restrictions and placement :( So why not make our own little peice of paradise.  We also are constantly working on the house and are far from finished but this will be our treat for ALL the hard work ;D.

{And cause I may be startin the mid-life crisis thingy and this is safer than a HARLEY ;)  }

PS I "WILL" have a tub in by JUNE!!!! ;D ;D ;D [I think]

June

yea

June

yea :) :)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 04:17:02 pm »
Have fun and Enjoy!!   I did the Harley thing and the hot tub thing within the same year. I must be in a bad mid life crisis!!!

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 04:34:01 pm »
Sitting in a hot tub on vacation in the mountains, it dawned on me that I could do this every evening if I wanted.  Having a high stress job (aerospace) increased the motivation.  Being an engineer, I don't make impluse buys, so it took me almost two years

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 05:12:47 pm »
I've wanted a hot tub now for about 10 years after seeing a home improvement show with *gulp* Thermospas in it.

After lurking on the internet for the past view years, reading a lot of info and moving out of a townhouse 5 years ago - I'm finally able to afford one.

Although I've heard stories on what goes on in a tub ;), I'm really hoping it brings the stress relief and minor ache and pain relief that people say it does! It also sounds like I may be able to spend some quality time with my kids (I guess that depends on who your asking - me - YES; maybe kids - NO - LOL) as they are growing up way too fast!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 05:28:54 pm »
great question.  I have been looking for about 15 months in total.  Looking was the key word.  It was always a nice to have not a need to have and my wife said no way.  In February of this year we were on the way to the grocery store and I told my wife that I wanted to go look at the Arctic dealer.
   My wife was very nice and said that it was ok to go and look.  She said before we got out of the car, were only looking, I dont want to buy one.  Well 45min later, we had put a deposit down on one.  
    I had done over a years worth of research and had already narrowed my search down to two models and knew exactly what I wanted if I was ever given the green light.

Why did I get one?  Well as most of you know my wife and I both work for the police department and I find that my stress levels are through the roof.  I need something to relax me from a tuff day at work.  Also my job is very physical at times and you tend to get injuries, not to mention all the extra weight we carry with our vests and gun belt.

Anyways instead of relaxing at a cottage and spending all of that money and time driving to it, we said lets make the back our island oasis.  

I have huge plans this year for the backyard.  Everything is falling into place. I have started to take pictures of the process that I will share when complete.

I have 1700sq ft of exposed agrigate colored cement coming with a 34 by 14 patio in the back to start.  This will be done in two weeks.
Along the back a beautiful wrap around garden, an arctic spas tundra signature series tub, and I am building a cedar privacy wall around.  Just got the patio set, chimo fire place, muskoka chairs and a light post.  

Lots of money, but I hope this will be a beautiful oasis for my wife and I to get closer and for our son to enjoy as well.  19 months and loves the tub.  

Thank you for letting me share that.

fatman

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 07:26:37 pm »
My wife and I bought our house four years ago and a small 4 man hot tub came with it. It only had four jets but it felt great. This was the first time either of us had been in a hot tub before so it was quite a luxury. Now that I have been looking at new hot tubs and studying this forum, I realize that the one we have is very tiny. Anyway, since she is putting full trust in my decision(the married life is grand!) I am taking lots of time deciding which tub/dealer we want to go with.  Funny how dealers personalities and outfits vary from store to store. Hot tubs are supposed to be very relaxing but some of the dealers I have met are high pressure, uptight and wear ties. Not exactly the way to sell me a tub.  The search rolls on!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 07:36:20 pm »
We looked for over 10 years. Mywife's older sister had one, that sold us on the idea.  Several factors, our child growing up, no more tuition payments, and the aches and pains that came with being 40+. Once decided for sure it took up 3 days of shopping.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 07:53:29 am »
I was in a car accident 11/02.  After months of Chiropracter, PT, and massage therapy, I decided that if and when I got any kind of settlement, I would put it toward something that would maybe help my injuries long term.  I knew I would get something since it was the other guys fault 100 percent.  (he decided the red light wasn't meant for him)  I started looking and researching fall of 2003 and SA Reward was delivered July 2004.  My settlement ended up being just enough to pay for the tub (after the lawyer got paid).
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 08:48:12 am »
Ruby's post gave me an opportunity to slip in a cause of mine.  If you see an accident stop! Be a witness, you may need it in return someday.

20+ years ago we witnessed a guy run a red light and hit another car.  We went to court and the guy was found guilty of running the red light. We were the only ones who stopped.  Years later the guy who ran the red light sued the people he hit. We were called back in again in a civil suit.   The judge and the other people's lawyers let us know in no uncertain terms that without us those poeple would have been out lots of money.

20 years later we got re paid when someone hit Gina after running a red light and denying it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Kulta

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 09:07:19 am »
Another case of the aches & pains of advancing age plus an rx from our md. Also our addition of a glass enclosed room. One visit to the HotSpring dealer ; the Solana TX is perfect for us. The corner fit & 2 person capacity = great.  Not one minute of buyers remorse.

mowgli1

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 09:40:52 am »
We are moving soon from Michigan to Arizona. At first we wanted a pool and in- ground spa. We are moving to an age restricted resort community near Tucson. They have a beautiful pool complex almost across the street from our house. We decided to just use their pools for one year and see if we really want a pool of our own.

Just about all the people we talked to that had in-ground spas wished they had portable hot tubs for many reasons.Building cost, seating comfort, number of jets,  heating costs, and much better hydrotherapy were some of the big issues.

We have been looking since Jan. We had one really bad shopping experience before I dicovered this forum and became an " educated consumer". We thought we had decided on the D1 Sarena Bay but have now chosen the 2005 Sundance Maxxus. The Maxxus has everything we want and we really like the dealer in Tucson. They run a first class operation. So in two weeks we are on our way to Tucson to buy our Maxxus. We hope to be moved by fall.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 10:10:05 am by mowgli1 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 10:03:46 am »
That Maxxus is sure getting popular, I'll have to stop in my Sundance dealer just to take a look.

mowgli1

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 10:27:40 am »
That Maxxus is sure getting popular, I'll have to stop in my Sundance dealer just to take a look.

We switched to the Maxxus for two main reasons. First we really only wanted one lounger. Secondly we felt the foot therapy was much better for all seats in the Maxxus. Foot therapy is the most important criteria for me.The Sarena Bay is an awesome spa but the Maxxus met our needs better. Anyone looking for a large spa  should check out the Maxxus before buying.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 11:51:10 am by mowgli1 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 10:27:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42