What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Deck--Enough Support????  (Read 3351 times)

vwbuff

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
My Deck--Enough Support????
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:31:46 pm »
Suppose i should ask all of you this before I get the tub in case I have to do some reinforcing.  My deck is 16'x16'.  It is 30" off the ground.  I have 9 posts cemented the ground 4' down(3 posts in each row).  attached to these posts are 2-2x8's on each row and on top of these I have 2x8 stringers spaced 16"o.c.  When talking to both SD and Artesian dealer they said I should be just fine.  They said it was a big plus that deck is in no way attached to the house.  Now your opinions please.  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

My Deck--Enough Support????
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:31:46 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: My Deck--Enough Support????
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 07:47:35 pm »
I have a 73 Beetle.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:51:47 pm »
If your familiar with construction info here are some links:

http://www.awc.org/technical/spantables/tutorial.htm

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:J42m_gI_ctAJ:www.ci.maple-grove.mn.us/inspections-fbis/res_bldg_permits/DeckRegs.pdf+how+to+calculate+size+of+deck+footings&hl=en&start=11

If not you might want to run it by a lumber yard to see if it's strong enough. Other things to consider are the size of the posts (4x4 or 6x6) and the size of the footings (8,10 or 12"). Even if you have to pay some money, you'll have piece of mind.

The lumber yard I went to for my deck had a CAD program and designed the tub's deck at 150 PSF. Even then I added 2 more posts to make it stronger.

Something to consider - if you need a permit for a tub, the township might require you to "prove" that your deck can handle the load. A friend of mine was going to put a tub on his deck after it was built and he was told to get a Structural Engineer to certify the deck.

I too don't have the tub's deck attached to the house, I'm hoping that if there's any vibration it won't affect the house (I'm thinking noise).

I hope this helps!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 05:36:46 am »
Getting a second opinion is a good idea but I would say the only skimpy place is the 16 IOC. Maybe doubleing them up under the tub would be a good idea.

Something to consider also if your deck is not attatched to your house is support diagonals between your post's underneath. With nothing to stop it, a whole bunch of weight could make the whole thing fold down to the ground unless there is some tie in between the post's and the joist's (metal brackets available at lumber yard) or diagonal supports between the top of one set of posts to the bottom of the next. Kinda ties the whole thing together.
Retired

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 10:58:21 am »
After my drawings with material specs were approved by the city, the flooring was built and inspected during the process. After the project was complete and at what we thought was the final, the inspector wanted to see engineered calculations. Geez, that cost me another $5++. The builder had taken the local code approved framing specs and doubled them. No one ever questioned the calcualtions until it was done. We squeaked by. If you think it will come up down the road, you may want to shop around for a civil or mechanical engineer that will run the numbers. What a lumber yard does is not usually worth submitting as it will not be certified by a state board engineer. We are soaking and loving it but what final stress test that was.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 11:21:55 am »
Getting a second opinion is a good idea but I would say the only skimpy place is the 16 IOC. Maybe doubleing them up under the tub would be a good idea.

Our deck is WAY overbuilt but I'm happy it is......8x8 pilings topped with 3 2x12's topped with 2x10's on 8" centers under the tub and 16" centers under the rest of the deck.  The decking is 2x6's.  This baby doesn't move one iota.  So I agree with tman.....8" centers under the tub adds a little cost but adds a lot of support. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 11:50:03 am »
Our deck is WAY overbuilt but I'm happy it is......8x8 pilings topped with 3 2x12's topped with 2x10's on 8" centers under the tub and 16" centers under the rest of the deck.  The decking is 2x6's.  This baby doesn't move one iota.  So I agree with tman.....8" centers under the tub adds a little cost but adds a lot of support. 8)

Holy smokes DAWG, you build like me (or I build like you, or...whatever)

I was wondering why that addition cost ya 50 large. Now I know...

;D

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:35:38 pm »
Holy smokes DAWG, you build like me (or I build like you, or...whatever)

I was wondering why that addition cost ya 50 large. Now I know...

;D

Drewski

Duuude,
It didn't take long to eat up the bucks with an architect's sealed set of plans for the deck plus the tub, windows, doors and installation of all of the above.  I could've saved a LOT of labor bucks doing it all myself but it still wouldn't be done.....and wouldn't be done as well as it is.....I may not be smart or skilled enough to do it all but I sure do know how to pick the one's that do...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

cathtrac

• Hot-tub water doggie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05:41 pm »
We WAY overbuilt as well. Better safe than sorry!

One thing to keep in mind if you are in earthquake country is that you really need those diagonal supports to prevent sway during an earthquake.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42