What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chlorine question  (Read 1883 times)

aquaman

• justice league is on the hot line !
chlorine question
« on: May 02, 2005, 05:13:35 pm »
i`m switching to chlorine(cheaper/easy to get/clearer water) and my question is on the use of trichloro-s-triazinetrione-its one of those 4 in 1 granular chemicals. My nieghbor uses it in his tub and has clean, clear water and its easy to mantain and he`s never had any problems.  So i thought i`d try it and bought some( haven`t used it yet).  After looking through my manual it says not to use tri-chlor chlorine, is this the same thing and does anybody know why not to use it.? thanks

Hot Tub Forum

chlorine question
« on: May 02, 2005, 05:13:35 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: chlorine question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 05:53:49 pm »
There is only one manufacturer that I know of, Emerald Spas, that recommend using trichlor. I believe it has to do with 2 reasons 1 - trichlor has a low PH and can lower your PH a lot faster than dichlor and 2 - it apparently doesn't do the job in hot water that dichlor does.

I know that saving money is important but I wouldn't risk losing you warranty because of using trichlor. Go to Doc's website - rhtubs- and look under sanitizers - he sells a 10 lb jug of dichlor for about $40 and it should last you A LONG time. When you think about the amount of dichlor you will use 1-2 teaspoons a day and 2-3 tablespoons a week for shock - your not talking about a lot of product.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:47:09 pm »
In the owners manual for my HS Envoy it says "DO NOT" use trichlorine.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:19:09 am »
Many manufacturers will void their warranty if trichlor is used over dichlor.  As cheap as dichlor is (+-$23.00 for 5 pounds which will last a long time), I just don't see cost differential between the two as being an issue......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

shabba34

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 11:36:11 am »
Tri-chlor has a ph of 3.2, highly acidic, and slow disolving.  All of which can damage the surface material of your spa when not used properly. ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:44:56 am »
Many manufacturers will void their warranty if trichlor is used over dichlor.  As cheap as dichlor is (+-$23.00 for 5 pounds which will last a long time), I just don't see cost differential between the two as being an issue......

For some reason many stores don't carry the 5 pound containers and the one pound ones go as high as $16. I just recently found my local HS dealer carries a 5# container at the price you mentioned. Its right near my work, so that helps.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 11:46:43 am »
 I would follow the owner's manual and stick with the Dichlor. I fnd it works well for me.  8)

aquaman

• justice league is on the hot line !
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 04:43:51 pm »
thanks for the replys. i think i`ll take it back and get the dichlor. thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 04:43:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42