What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Regional "factory direct" spa opinions?  (Read 4881 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Regional "factory direct" spa opinions?
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:53:02 am »
It seems that there are more and more factory direct spa manufacturers nowadays.  Has anyone out there had any positive experiences with these type of spas?

In my personal experience, I have yet to see a SINGLE ONE hold up beyond 10 years, most go to the dump within 5.  The horror stories are on a weekly basis in this neck of the woods.  People buy "factory direct" spas and then call us, sometimes within a month, wanting us to replace the pump, heater, etc.  When we tell them they should contact the people they bought from, they reply that the "factory" doesn't service them, that's why they are so cheap.  

Invariably, there is always something that voids the warranty.  My favorite was when a gentleman bought a factory direct spa on the side of the road.  The pump burned up and when he asked for them to replace it, he was told the warranty was voided because he ran the jets more than 15 minutes!  He was not a happy camper.

Terminator
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:12:27 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Regional "factory direct" spa opinions?
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:53:02 am »

thomaswave

Re: Factory Direct Spas Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 11:02:14 am »
I bought a United spa 5 years ago and during the winter it runs 24/7 and summer I set for timer. I have had no issues at all with it.It has been a great adition to my deck and the kids and my wife love it. We use it almost every night!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:46:05 pm by wmccall »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 12:47:25 pm »
In my personal experience, I have yet to see a SINGLE ONE hold up beyond 10 years

The tub or the manufacturer?

I haven't regretted buying a national brand from a local dealer who has supported me great.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:48:16 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wetone

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 12:53:36 pm »
It seems that there are more and more factory direct spa manufacturers nowadays.  Has anyone out there had any positive experiences with these type of spas?

In my personal experience, I have yet to see a SINGLE ONE hold up beyond 10 years, most go to the dump within 5.  The horror stories are on a weekly basis in this neck of the woods.  People buy "factory direct" spas and then call us, sometimes within a month, wanting us to replace the pump, heater, etc.  When we tell them they should contact the people they bought from, they reply that the "factory" doesn't service them, that's why they are so cheap.  

Invariably, there is always something that voids the warranty.  My favorite was when a gentleman bought a factory direct spa on the side of the road.  The pump burned up and when he asked for them to replace it, he was told the warranty was voided because he ran the jets more than 15 minutes!  He was not a happy camper.

Terminator

Terminator,

Your posts subject heading makes direct reference to our store name.

The name “Factory Direct Spas™” is a Registered Trade Mark!

“Factory Direct Spas™” is a large hot tub retail store here in London, Ontario Canada. That sells D1, Artesian and Coleman.

Please reword your post to remove any direct reference to our store name.

John Dyck
Factory Direct Spas™
4487 Wellington Rd.
London Ontario Canada

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:58:08 pm »

"more and more factory direct spa manufacturers "

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think technically he made a direct reference.  If East_TX chooses to reword that is his option. I think most users will understand the nature of his post and there won't be any confusion.

Nice looking website by the way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:00:13 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Regional Factory Direct Spa Opinions?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:08:05 pm »
How's that?

I was not aware that was your companies name, my bad.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wetone

Re: Regional Factory Direct Spa Opinions?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 01:39:43 pm »
How's that?

I was not aware that was your companies name, my bad.

Terminator

Thank You for changing the subject heading,

All spa shoppers that come to our store that are researching spas and not ready to buy are directed to this site to research further.

Hopefully that clarifies the concern with the subject heading and possible store name confusion.

John Dyck
General Manager
Factory Direct Spas™
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:41:27 pm by wetone »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Regional "factory direct" spa opinions?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 05:25:31 pm »
How come when I go to FactoryDirectSpas.com I get a company in Pleasant Valley, NY?

I notice that you use a little "tm" rather than an "R" in a circle. Doesn't this mean that in fact the "trademark" is NOT a registered trademark?

Like Bill, I too am not an attorney, but I'd think you'd have a had time trying to register a phrase that is basically a general description of a product, rather than an obvious name.

Also, if you haven't legally gone after the many other companies (and there are quite a few) that are using this "phrase" either in their name or in their advertising, it becomes more an more difficult to enforce any trademark you might have. There are actually rules regarding weather or not you enforce a trademak as to how valid it is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 05:30:41 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 05:37:59 pm »
Question: What is a "generic" name?

Answer: A word used by the majority of the public to name a class or category of product or service. A generic name cannot be protected or registered as a trademark or service mark. For example, no seller can have trademark rights in "telephone" or "oven." If a seller did have exclusive rights to call something by its recognized name, it could amount to a monopoly on selling that type of product

http://www.chillingeffects.org/protest/faq.cgi#QID407
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 08:52:51 pm »
If you really want to get worked up, google "monster cable lawsuits"

The audio cable manufactuer Monster Cables is going after anybody and  everybody that uses the "M" word. It's  :-X amazing.

wetone

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 08:17:05 am »
How come when I go to FactoryDirectSpas.com I get a company in Pleasant Valley, NY?

I notice that you use a little "tm" rather than an "R" in a circle. Doesn't this mean that in fact the "trademark" is NOT a registered trademark?

Like Bill, I too am not an attorney, but I'd think you'd have a had time trying to register a phrase that is basically a general description of a product, rather than an obvious name.

Also, if you haven't legally gone after the many other companies (and there are quite a few) that are using this "phrase" either in their name or in their advertising, it becomes more an more difficult to enforce any trademark you might have. There are actually rules regarding weather or not you enforce a trademak as to how valid it is.

TM. Is the mark used to identify a registered trade mark which also includes specific font, color, unique design and the name.

® is used to identify a registered phrase or word only.

One could assume that "Four Season Sunrooms" would be a generic phrase describing any sunroom suitable for year round use, yet it is a registered trade mark.

John

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 09:23:23 am »

Terminator,

Your posts subject heading makes direct reference to our store name.

The name “Factory Direct Spas™” is a Registered Trade Mark!

“Factory Direct Spas™” is a large hot tub retail store here in London, Ontario Canada. That sells D1, Artesian and Coleman.

John Dyck
Factory Direct Spas™
4487 Wellington Rd.
London Ontario Canada

I think this was handled in a mature and professional manner.

Geeze guys lighten up on the owner....I can see how this could get confusing for users.  He asked politely and got a nice response and the name was changed.

Just my opinion.........
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 09:26:11 am by Guttboy »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 09:23:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42