What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: price vs "deal"  (Read 5317 times)

salesdvl

price vs "deal"
« on: April 24, 2005, 10:46:29 am »
My reply post to a question lead to this thought.  
Having been in retail for most of my life I find it frustrating how the consumer is geared toward getting the "deal".  We all have examples but here is one of mine:
A couple of years ago a lady came in to my store needing a solar cover.  I only had one left in her size so it wasn't discounted or on "clearance" like some of the other sizes.  She got mad at me because it wasnt on "sale".  I explained to her that stores lower the price on things that they have alot of so they can get rid of it.  Lowering the price on something they dont have much of doesnt make sense.  She left the store mad even though she needed the solar cover.  It occurred to me that if I had lied and said "It's on clearance for..." she would have bought it.
Even my own wife falls into this scenario.  Everytime she comes home and tells me how much she "saved" at the "sale" at the mall I just cringe & smile.  In my mind, she wouldn't have bought the dress for $100 in the first place so buying it for $75 really didn't "save" us $25,  we are still out the $75 !  ( In reality, it is probably a $50 dress  marked as $100 then "on sale" for $75)

Maybe I'm warped by the years in retail.  I know that not all retailers are like this.  I also know that there really are sales out there... sometimes.

I know it will never change but I would like to go back in time and find the very first dealer that said "if you buy from me , "I'll throw in a solar cover for FREE"  or  "I'll throw in floor mats for FREE " and punch them in the nose, because what they started has gotten way outta control.  

In my opinion.

Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

price vs "deal"
« on: April 24, 2005, 10:46:29 am »

Bur

Re: price vs "deal"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:30:26 pm »
"I know it will never change but I would like to go back in time and find the very first dealer that said "if you buy from me , "I'll throw in a solar cover for FREE and punch them in the nose"

Actually you'd have to go back to Ogg the axe maker 100,000 years ago and punch him in the nose when he said "If you buy this axe, I'll throw in an extra handle for free."  :D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:23:30 pm »
salesdvl,

In the example of the dress scenario, if it was a needed item then yes it could be a deal but if was an extra item than no.  If it was going to be bought anyway (needed for a wedding), then you did get the savings because it would have been bought at $100.

My father (who also was in retail sales) once told me NEVER go to a going out of business sale toward the end - last two weeks. They always bring in junk to sell and you have no recourse.

I would guess that in certain cases a real deal can be had. If a retailer really needs to get rid of something - house, car or spa and it's the last of something (maybe not in the case of a pool cover but maybe a total model change) then the selling price could be cheaper than the going rate - is it super dirt cheap? NO, but it is cheaper but the downfall for the consumer is you take what's there!

I remember once going into a car dealership and having a salesman trying to sell me a 2 year old BRAND NEW car on the showroom floor. When he gave me the price I laughed at him and said that if I purchased that car 2 years ago the value would be less than the selling price - I expected the selling price to be way less. He didn't get the sale!

On big items I really just want to get a fair price, I sometimes get a great price but I leave that up to the individual I'm dealing with - I go with the "Best Bang for the Buck".

Vinny

Hankster

• A soaker seeker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 06:45:00 pm »
I have to say I think the hot tub industry contributes to the idea of people wanting to negotiate the price down.  Ever since I started reading this forum I've noticed it's sort of expected that hot tub customers are supposed to haggle down the price they are given.  That sort of thing strikes me as odd.  Do you try to haggle with the grocery store over the price of a carton of eggs?  Do you haggle with the department store over the price of a shirt?   I never understood it in the auto sales industry, and I don't understand it in the hot tub industry.  It seems to me there's a certain cost to manufacture, guarantee, and deliver a product, and a reasonable amount of dealer markup is expected. Naive me, I would have paid the asking price for a hot tub, but now I know better.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:52:49 pm »
Some dealers don't negotiate- they charge the marked price.  In my opinion, if a dealer lets you talk them down on asking price, they are either padding their asking price to begin with, or are hurting for cash.  Nothing wrong with it, it's just how it is.  

It's the chicken and egg syndrome.  What happened first?  Did a shopper bargain down a salesman, or did a salesman offer a "deal" to a customer?

Personally, I think the auto industry is partially responsible with their offering rebates or low interest financing.  It's become an albatross around their necks.
Whenever they try and end the promotions, sales plummet until they are reinstated.  And they claim it's these incentives that are straining their profit margins.
Brewman
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 09:23:12 pm »
Some dealers don't negotiate- they charge the marked price.  In my opinion, if a dealer lets you talk them down on asking price, they are either padding their asking price to begin with, or are hurting for cash.  Nothing wrong with it, it's just how it is.  

Brewman

It is the buyers perception they are getting a deal when you discount off the marketed price...for us it is a fine line because the price we have marked is among the most reasonable posted on line .... but most people do not know the what a good or fair price is as most people are very unfamiliar with spas and most shoppers do not do the research that a many here do.....the thing is most folks here on this board are a anomaly ....

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 11:53:11 pm »
if a dealer lets you talk them down on asking price, they are either padding their asking price to begin

That is exactly my point.  The retailer I used to work for originally posted prices on signs and that was that.  But once the dealer down the street started adding $500 to the price of their $1000 swimming pool and selling it for $1500 with "FREE" installation we started losing our bu**s.  They did the same thing with spa packages.  So it was either adapt or die.  I hated it.
Measure once, cut twice.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 01:28:44 pm »
You may call it hunting a "deal" but I call it "just-trying-to-find-out-what-the-heck-this-thing-costs".  

I've not been to any dealer's showroom where the prices were posted - not one.  Therefore, I have to ask the price of every tub I'm interested in.  I've not asked the salesman for his "bottom dollar" nor have I asked for a "discount" or "sale price" but those were the words always used when they quoted me a price.  

If sales people are not going to post the price of a spa and they use references to "discount" or "special"  when quoting prices - then what is a shopper supposed to think?

Honestly, I'd love to just walk into a showroom where the specs and price is posted so that I can just compare models at my pace without having to listen to a sales pitch.  Just my two cents.

Chris_H

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 01:39:36 pm »
Honestly, I'd love to just walk into a showroom where the specs and price is posted so that I can just compare models at my pace without having to listen to a sales pitch.  Just my two cents.

This is an interesting point, but one must remember that the specs for certain manufacturers can be extremely misleading.  Especially, when it comes to horsepower on the motor and the number of jets in the spa.  I can go into detail if you like.

Chris

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 01:42:47 pm »
True, but aren't these going to be the same specs that a salesperson would quote or reference?

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 01:42:56 pm »

We post all our prices. Is providing information about a the product you are looking at always a "sales pitch"....if you see 2 gentlemen both wearing a watch and ask each the time and they both give you the same time...but one is wearing a rolex and one a Timex are both watches the same.... there are differences in similar products cars...tv's.....washers....spas.....is providing the information about your product always again a sales pitch....I recently shopped for furniture and I was most appreciative of those who took the time, first to know their own product and secondly took the time to share with me and to show me hows theirs was built so that I could make a more informed decision for myself...

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 04:55:34 pm »
You may call it hunting a "deal" but I call it "just-trying-to-find-out-what-the-heck-this-thing-costs".  

I've not been to any dealer's showroom where the prices were posted - not one.  Therefore, I have to ask the price of every tub I'm interested in.  I've not asked the salesman for his "bottom dollar" nor have I asked for a "discount" or "sale price" but those were the words always used when they quoted me a price.  

If sales people are not going to post the price of a spa and they use references to "discount" or "special"  when quoting prices - then what is a shopper supposed to think?

just out of curiosity, where are you located?
i bought my new tub about 6 weeks ago. shopped several dealers, and asked lots of questions here. off the cuff, i would say at least half (or more) had the prices clearly marked on each tub, several of them even quite specific as to including cover, steps, "x" number of months worth of chems, etc.
one did make me laugh though...... BIG RED posterboard cut into a star shape, said HUGE CLEARANCE DEALS, LIMITED TIME ONLY!! the 2 tubs in front of the window had very faded "pink" clearance signs>>>>>LOL ;D ::) ::)
i myself, not knowing the industry, posted several questions that were basically.....
i found brand "x" spa for $"x"... is this a fair price for my market? its not an exact science,m but i appreciated the input.
my first queation wa usually something like "what makes that spa cost $1500 than the one next to it. at that point the sales rep starts talking......

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 06:50:02 pm »
Kansas City - tubs I've looked at are Hot Springs, Sundance, Marquis, Artesian and Coast Spas.  Not one price posted on any of these.

gtballer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 10:19:52 pm »
The Sundance dealer in Atlatna has the prices posted. They posted the optmia at $9,975. with no extras..... They alos said the do not offer sales or discounts. They are a new dealer and the water was dirty.... I passed on what a lot on people on here say is a top tub.

capmt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 10:35:53 pm »
I looked yesterday and all the places, i.e. Hot Springs, Sundance, Coast, had prices on MOST of their tubs.  However, in line with "deal" vs price, EVERY ONE wanted my name, and wanted to tell me what their "sale price" would be.  Sundance said their sale starts now for Memorial day, for instance, with sale prices.  Hot Springs said their sale would be the "equivalent" of either $1000 off the Hot Springs and $800 off the Tiger River to include cash, steps, cover in removal system, etc., in any possible combination and the salesperson would only say they were told at the times of a sale which combination that would be.  Jeesh.  I would like a bottom line price and feel it is fair.  After all,  as so many people keep saying, you have to wet test, and that takes time, and I don't feel the pressure of a "sales event" is fair.   It made my husband and I both feel like we were buying a car!!  Like ther is a "hidden" bottom price and we have to try to reach it.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 10:35:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42