What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: monthly costs.  How much to expect.  (Read 15046 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
monthly costs.  How much to expect.
« on: April 22, 2005, 08:06:37 pm »
I live in Hamilton Ontario Canada and I was wondering if anyone local could share how much their hydro bills went up every month when they installed a hot tub.  I was told by the dealer about 1can dollar a day.  
  I was just told by a guy on my dads street that his bill has gone up over 150 a month.  I dont know if he hooked up 240 or 120.  I hope to god that my bill does not go up this high, I can honsetly tell you that my wife would most likely leave me.

Also chemicals a month.  Thank you for your input.

Hot Tub Forum

monthly costs.  How much to expect.
« on: April 22, 2005, 08:06:37 pm »

fletch49

Re: monthly costs.  How much to expect.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:51:04 pm »
Good question. I just figured that out after running for 6 months. I live about 40 minutes from you, so the weather patterns are very much the same, and our hydro rate will be the same.

Drum roll please.... I averaged $1.25 a day.  Slightly higher in the winter, and slightly lower in the summer.  Keep in mind that hot tub use was at an all time peak during my first winter with it, so I suspect cost will come down. I was surprised as well, but a dollar a day is actually fairly close.

I own a 7' Arctic Spa with 2 pumps and a 5.5kw heater. 220volts/50amp service.

Although I haven't totalled the chemical/filter costs, I bet I've spend an additional $1.00/day on that.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 09:12:45 pm by Spazz »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:12:49 pm »
I can't comment on electrical costs but I would think that it would be a lot less than $1.00 a day in chems.

Can you use Dichlor in Canada or do you need to use Lithochlor (sp?). If you can get Dichlor and if you can get it from Doc - rhtubs - you can get 10 lbs for about $40.00 and I would think that it will last you about a year - that's $0.11 a day. I was quoted $95.00 for 2 Artesian filters from the dealer and if they lasted 1 year ( probably would last a bit longer) that comes out to be $0.26 a day. That would leave $0.63 a day for the rest of the chems.

fletch49

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 09:20:58 pm »
I can't comment on electrical costs but I would think that it would be a lot less than $1.00 a day in chems.

Can you use Dichlor in Canada or do you need to use Lithochlor (sp?). If you can get Dichlor and if you can get it from Doc - rhtubs - you can get 10 lbs for about $40.00 and I would think that it will last you about a year - that's $0.11 a day. I was quoted $95.00 for 2 Artesian filters from the dealer and if they lasted 1 year ( probably would last a bit longer) that comes out to be $0.26 a day. That would leave $0.63 a day for the rest of the chems.

Agreed ...I think most of my costs are attributed to disposable filters and water changes every 2 months.  Although not included in the $1.00/day that I originally posted ...as a new owner, I felt the need to buy way more than I needed. I think I have 3 different kinds of shell cleaner and 4 kinds of cover protectant, not to mention that whole switch from bromine to chlorine back to bromine. Anyone looking for chlorine?...real cheap.  ;D

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:09:45 pm »
well, here is my detective work spazz

You own an arctic spa, under a year, close to me approx. 40min away, you seem to know about local issues and similar hydro....................

my guess you are from kitchener.  How close am I, I think right on.  Kitchener is the closest available artic dealer around you.  Thats my guess.

fletch49

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 10:20:11 pm »
very close actually. I live in Guelph. How is the spa search going? Have you narrowed it down?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 10:32:31 am »
Electricity............$30-$40/month
Chems/filters.......+-$200/year
Enjoyment...........PRICELESS
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 11:03:39 am »
Electricity.....15-35 per month
Chemicals.....(dichlor, baking soda) 10-20 per year

Northern Minnesota.
Retired

nicker

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 01:59:46 pm »
Welcome to the tub world.  I live in London Ontario and this was my first winter with our tub.  We use it at least 5 days a week.  Unfortunatly we moved into our new house and got the tub right away so I have nothing to compair it to.  But going from summer to winter our bill only changed about $22.00 .  So I would say that the tub cost about between $20.00 and $25.00 at most and chems about $200.00 a year provideing you keep everything in line.    I would advise that guy to have his tub checked $150.00 is alot!  Somthing is definetly wrong with his set up.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 06:32:59 pm »
Electricy cost vary based on the tub you buy. This is FACT.  Generally, the more you pay for the tub when you buy it, the less your electricy bills are monthly.  In other words. Buy the $3,995 Home Depot special (with poor insulation or worse a poorly designed thermal pane style insulation) and you can easily spend $80 more PER MONTH in power cost alone. Buy a $9K Foam Filled Hot Springs and pay about $20 more a month.  Or in my case, buy a $6,500 foam filled Jacuzzi premium and spend $25/month.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 07:04:56 pm »
shopping is finished.  I purchased the arctic spas tundra signature series.  It came with all kinds of goodies and extras.  I cant wait, im just having the patio put in this week or next.  I have decided to pick tub up in august.  I cant wait, did I already mention that?  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 07:04:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42