What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any microbiologists in the crowd?  (Read 4209 times)

fletch49

Any microbiologists in the crowd?
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:42:05 am »
OK - this sounds a little strange, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem before.  I recently noticed little brown rubbery bits of something floating around in the tub. I noticed more floating around after I turned off the jets, which leads me to believe that it is coming from the jets or the plumbing. The water is in good shape I changed it three weeks ago...it's crystal clear, pH is about 7.8, Alkalinity is in the 100 range and bromine is about 2-3ppm and never below.

The only thing...It haven't been using the tub lately as I have been working like crazy. The tub sat for almost 2 weeks with no use, but the filtration cycle is programmed for 3x/day.

Any ideas? Could it be brown algae?

Hot Tub Forum

Any microbiologists in the crowd?
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:42:05 am »

shabba34

Re: Any microbiologists in the crowd?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:30:45 am »
How old id the spa?  Maybe the acidity of the bromine has started to deteriorate some of the o-rings in the spa: air valves, diverter valves etc... ???

fletch49

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:24:17 pm »
The spa is seven months old...

shabba34

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:45:06 pm »
You got me ???  Try and pull one of your jets out and see if you notice anything unusuall.  If it feels rubbery to the touch, and you can roll it around in your fingers without it falling apart; not algae ???

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 03:59:53 pm »
I thought I would jump in and help a moment. Since I have departed the forum it seems many of the more knowledgable industry pros have likewise backed off some. I hope I didn't create that but I would like to help with this one.

What you have is a water mold...You need to do a chemical clean ASAP before it continues to grow. The moderator can hook you up with some of the topics that covered this in the past or if you would like email me at cyrano@allvantage.com and I will walk you through it.

It seems to be more common in the spring and fall....

shabba34

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 11:16:51 am »
I thought I would jump in and help a moment. Since I have departed the forum it seems many of the more knowledgable industry pros have likewise backed off some. I hope I didn't create that but I would like to help with this one.

What you have is a water mold...You need to do a chemical clean ASAP before it continues to grow. The moderator can hook you up with some of the topics that covered this in the past or if you would like email me at cyrano@allvantage.com and I will walk you through it.

It seems to be more common in the spring and fall....

Ouch..... Well, looks like I gonna have to find a new career.  I seem to be lacking the microbaterial backround neccessary to excel in this industry..  So.... Signing off for now yada yada yada...... Ok, I'll stay ;D
Stuart can very well be correct, as I'm sure he is or he is sure he is (something like that)  But to make a guestimation without enough information is hasty.  Do these particles smere and break apart when touched or are they of a solid mass?  Noing this  will help determine if infact it is a water mold, black algae, or "soap poisoning" (Christmas story reference)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 12:29:09 pm by pkud »

fletch49

tRe: Any microbiologists in the crowd?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 01:07:19 pm »
The substance is rubbery and has the thickness of a layer of skin. It does not smear when you roll it in your fingers.  It is brown in colour with black spots in it. And it is getting worse. The little bits floating around are small...maybe a 1cm or 2 square.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 01:11:32 pm by Spazz »

shabba34

Re: tRe: Any microbiologists in the crowd?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 01:28:59 pm »
The substance is rubbery and has the thickness of a layer of skin. It does not smear when you roll it in your fingers.  It is brown in colour with black spots in it. And it is getting worse. The little bits floating around are small...maybe a 1cm or 2 square.

Looks like Stuart is correct, but we aleady new that ;).  A fungus growing in your plumbing system and is discharged when the pumps are activated.  Super chlorination w/ a heavy jet pump run (2hrs should sufise)  Spa is just a little sick and needs some medicine.  Good luck!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 01:39:38 pm »
Ouch..... Well, looks like I gonna have to find a new career.  I seem to be lacking the microbaterial backround neccessary to excel in this industry..  So.... Signing off for now yada yada yada...... Ok, I'll stay ;D
Stuart can very well be correct, as I'm sure he is or he is sure he is (something like that)  But to make a guestimation without enough information is hasty.  Do these particles smere and break apart when touched or are they of a solid mass?  Noing this  will help determine if infact it is a water mold, black algae, or "soap poisoning" (Christmas story reference)  ;D

With experience comes confidence, way to go Stuart.
You're missed by many of us oldtimers!

Punked I mean pkud, a little respect would go a long way for you, why don't you try it.

Spahappy :D

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 02:04:46 pm »

With experience comes confidence, way to go Stuart.
You're missed by many of us oldtimers!

Punked I mean pkud, a little respect would go a long way for you, why don't you try it.

Spahappy :D

Sorry to offend you happy.  Or stuart for that matter.  Must be one of those misunderstandings of I'm typing on a computer and not speaking directly to you with word inflection, annunciation, and most of all sarcasm.  I have tremendous respect for all the professionals on this board,  just trying to bring a little humor in every once in a while.  Once we figure out how to convey personality across the internet, all these situations would not arise.  And to Spazz, only trying to make sure for your benefit, at least i think that is why this board is here.  So again Spa Happy, sorry for ruffalin the feathers, and you too Stuart, if there even ruffled :'(

fletch49

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 02:42:44 pm »
 A fungus you say...that explains the itch...what about the... ;D

So, this can happen while I maintain a safe bromine level...ie 2+ppm, or did I let my sanitizer level drop?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 02:43:18 pm by Spazz »

shabba34

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 02:53:35 pm »
Even though you have filtration cycles running normal, the plumbing system can hold stagnant water when not in operation making that warm water very prone to growth (fungus, algae, mold etc...)  Even in sanitized environment.  Once the growth forms, it replicates so rapidly that you require a superchlorination as stuart said ASAP.  You cant tell exactly what tipped it off without a full scale water makeup.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 02:53:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42