What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Problem with jets or poltergeist?  (Read 2830 times)

cathtrac

• Hot-tub water doggie
Problem with jets or poltergeist?
« on: April 20, 2005, 02:55:35 pm »
We're loving our new Artesian Grand Bahama but had a strange experience last night while sitting in the tub...

We were sitting in the warm tub under the stars with all jets turned off (except the silent 24 hour circ pump, of course) listening to the frogs singing, when all of a sudden BOTH of the jet pumps turned on. Made hubby and I both jump. The pumps stayed on for about three minutes and just as suddenly both turned off at the same time!

Do these tubs occasionally do this for some reason, is there a problem with the tub, or do we have a poltergeist? Hubby feels that it is the latter since we have had lots of weird things happen in this 100 year old house since we moved into it. But I'm a skeptic and thought I'd consult the experts here.

By the way--we are LOVING our new tub, have I said that yet?

Hot Tub Forum

Problem with jets or poltergeist?
« on: April 20, 2005, 02:55:35 pm »

shabba34

Re: Problem with jets or poltergeist?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:59:42 pm »
Step into the light Carol Ann ;D
I think she owned an Artesian Grand Bahama back during the filming of the movie! :o

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:06:38 pm »
The're baaacckk.  Isn't if freaky?

Chances are it was the begining of a filter cycle and it seemed like 3 minutes but was probably 60 seconds or 120 seconds to initiate a start time for a filter cycle.

What time did this occur.  Check your cycle start times and let us know.  Otherwise, this could be a job for the exortist or ghost busters, LOL.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:10:15 pm »
Your manual will probably explain this away as being programmed to occur at certain intervals. However, I'd tell the kids its possessed and that they probably shouldn't go in with you and the hubby after the sun goes down.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 04:33:48 pm »
Our Optima has a "Blowout" cycle at noon each day, in which all of the pumps and the blower turn on for a couple minutes, to force any stagnant water out of the plumbing.  Perhaps this is what you're seeing?
Brewman
Brewman

cathtrac

• Hot-tub water doggie
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 04:55:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I knew I could count on you-all as being the voices of reason!

I did check the manual and nothing was mentioned about filter cycles, blow out cycles (although that makes perfect sense to me!), or any other time that the jets would turn on; stating that all was done via the 24 hour circ pump.

I do like the idea of telling the kids, visiting family members, and nosy neighbors that the tub is haunted!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:15:54 pm »
I would call your dealer. The pumps aren't supposed to come on with the 24 hour circ pump.  The filter cycle controls the amount of time the ozonator runs.

It might be nothing or it could be a glitch in the electronics. The only thing that I've read in the manual is the freeze protection if the water reaches 55* (I think this is the temp) and the pumps come on for 1 minute every hour for a 24 hour period - unless the water was just refilled (less than 24 hours) and that feature kicked in.

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:22:47 am »
Brewman nailed it.  This is a programmed function to purge the plumbing.  It happens with our tubs here in the showroom... nothing to worry about.  As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing.".  Don't ask me how I know that.   :-[

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 11:41:55 am »
Brewman nailed it.  This is a programmed function to purge the plumbing.  It happens with our tubs here in the showroom... nothing to worry about.  As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing.".  Don't ask me how I know that.   :-[

What else do Artesians do that isn't written in the manual ??? I've read the Platinum, Gold and Island series manuals and I don't believe it in the manual!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 02:38:10 pm »
Our Optima has a "Blowout"

My Dynasty does this once a day as well.  I also learned the hard way that it does the same thing one minute after power is applied. pump #1 runs on low to provide filtration, but pump 2 does the once a day or power on thing. The jets to pump number 2 are some of the higher ones and I found out if you apply power before the water level covers these jets, it can make a wet mess.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 02:38:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42