What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another newbie needs some guidance!  (Read 2485 times)

Tracy

Another newbie needs some guidance!
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:47:57 pm »
While shopping for a spa last weekend (for the first time) a sales rep tried hard to steer us clear of buying an acrylic spa saying the quality was sub par.  The spa he had in mind for us was a "Dimension One" spa made with a solid "ultra life" shell as opposed to acrylic which is layered with fiberglass.  Is this a valid sales point or a good sales ploy?!  The difference in price was about 3K higher....thanks to anyone out there with any advice!  

Hot Tub Forum

Another newbie needs some guidance!
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:47:57 pm »

Chris_H

Re: Another newbie needs some guidance!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:04:49 pm »
Do not buy a spa based on the shell.  All premium spas today have great shells that will last a very long time.  You should purchase a spa based on the therapy/service that you are going to be receiving.

D1 is a very good brand.  I would have them in the premium category as would everyone but Jim Arjuna.

Tracy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 05:11:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  Given that our current house is not our "dream house" I'd hesitate to buy a premium spa until we do "move up" in the next few years...we hope!  Any rec's on a respectable moderately priced model (or brand)  that offers room for lots of bodies and some good jet action (if I sound ignorant, I am in this case!) I definitely believe you get what you pay for, so I don't want to decide on price or be lured in by special deals, etc.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:13:05 pm »
 Is this a valid sales point or a good sales ploy?!  

If those are my 2 choices I'm picking "sales ploy". The salesman may very well believe his product to be far superior but I think that might be his sales training kicking in. I think D1 is a very fine product and I always recommend them along with a handful of other premium spa brands (Hot Springs, Sundance, Marquis, Caldera, while others are high on Master, Dynasty, Arctic, Coleman, etc.) but the D1 shell should not be sold as far superior to the others out there IMHO. Set that fear aside and continue looking at D1's other aspects. It's always wise to also look at a couple other brands as well for comparison (they'll have their own selling points) and by all means, wet test the 2,3,4 spas that you feel most interesting to you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  Given that our current house is not our "dream house" I'd hesitate to buy a premium spa until we do "move up" in the next few years...we hope!  Any rec's on a respectable moderately priced model (or brand)  that offers room for lots of bodies and some good jet action (if I sound ignorant, I am in this case!) I definitely believe you get what you pay for, so I don't want to decide on price or be lured in by special deals, etc.

If you were not interested in buying the highest premium spa, I would still recommend the premium manufacturers.  Most manufacturers offer “Chevy’s” instead of “Cadillac’s.”  D1 makes the “At Home” series.  My personal recommendations are the Sundance Caymen or the Tiger River Bengal (manufactured by Hotspring), both should be priced under $6,000.  I prefer the Bengal myself because I like the idea that you can run it on a 20-amp service and does not require the additional electrical cost of hardwiring.  

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:22:24 pm by Chris_H »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:24:40 pm »
As Chris and Spa Tech mention all of the better makers out there build a fine shell and with very few exceptions should out last anyone who reads this post ... the flip side to the D-1 story which by the way is a very fine spa is that if it ever were to some how crack...(not likely with any)...you will have a water leak ...with an acyclic that is fiberglass backed you most likely will one have a cosmetic problem but it is unlikely that you would loose water because of it ....but both work fine and again will most likely be around long after we are gone.....

J._McD

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:45:15 pm »
The horror stories of shell were back in the 80's.  If anything ever cracked and lost water, that would be covered under the structural warranty.  I have never seen a shell crack open.  IF the surface of any "acrylic" shell had any ill effect, that would be covered unter the surface warranty.  In the last 16 years, the 1 mfg I handle, I have replaced 2 spas that had something in the mold when it was formed.  No problem, we ordered a new one and changed it out.

Shells and their quality levels are important.  Manufacturers with experience know what they are doing.  Always, get a written copy of the warranty, there is absolutely no reason why it should not be given upon request.  We give it as a mater of standard practice, if others don't, that should start the yellow lights flashing if not the red ones.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:45:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42