What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone use in an indoor spa  (Read 13010 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Ozone use in an indoor spa
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:19:26 am »
 What health concerns should I have using the ozone sanitizer in my tub that will be installed indoors?

The room will be separated from the rest of the house, as if it was an outdoor space. I plan on using ventilation, should I need a small amount running 24/7, with much more air moving while we are in the room, just to be on the safe side?

Thanks
John

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone use in an indoor spa
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:19:26 am »

J._McD

Re: Ozone use in an indoor spa
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:40:17 am »
John, thanks for the side line that identifies your spa.  My answer is No.  We can take the time to discuss chlorine "gass off" or bromine "gas off" that is blamed for "lifeguard lung".  But here we talking about Ozone "off gassing".

Interior applications have less air circulation, thus the reason there is talk about it.  Also, those who do not understand it or want to sell you on an alternate choice may choose to create fear in your mind by bringing up the subject.

There is no discussion of these issues outside because of the air circulation, but that is where the life guards get their problem too.  Anything you smell is "gaseous".  and, if we really want to be intimidating, we can talk about other, more dramatic, examples that can also create enough fear to question anyone's judgement.

Your particular spa has a CD ozonator with a unique setup that is specifically intended to reduce the potential of "off gassing".  Ozone, which is a gaseous form of air bubbles that is introduced into the spa in a variety of ways, is intended to create the tinyest, water soluable air bubbles possible.  Different manufacturers use different methods of injection and mixing, the most common use in all is a mazzie injector which is also present in your spa.

SD and your Optima have a unique development in the feed line that is specifically intended to increase the levels of ozone concentration in the mixing process and holding it in suspension during the "contact" process causing a more efficient and effective "kill & oxidize" interaction with the specific intent to reduce "off gassing" that affects the pillows and the underside of the cover.  

While their motive also includes dismissing consumer concerns of common discussion (or gossip if you may) of technical issues without background data, their primary interest becomes warranty or product concerns that affect customer complaints or warranty issues, thus the pillows and covers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 09:18:41 pm by J._McD »

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:53:59 am »
Just an FYI, but as far as I'm aware, all ozone systems except for D1's UltraPure system stop generating ozone the instant a topside control button is pressed (lights, jets, temp., etc.).  This takes care of the safety concern with ozone gas while you're using your tub.

To the best of my knowledge, this is something that is regulated by safety standards boards (UL, etc.) based on the amount of ozone off-gassing produced by each given brand/model.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:13:42 am »
 Thanks for the great replies, and yes, I read about the concerns on a web site dealing with general spa FAQ’s.

Does ozone have a particular "smell"? If it does, my better half will notice immediately, as she can tell if someone's smoking a half-mile away!

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 10:21:25 am »
Just an FYI, but as far as I'm aware, all ozone systems except for D1's UltraPure system stop generating ozone the instant a topside control button is pressed (lights, jets, temp., etc.).  This takes care of the safety concern with ozone gas while you're using your tub.

To the best of my knowledge, this is something that is regulated by safety standards boards (UL, etc.) based on the amount of ozone off-gassing produced by each given brand/model.

Both Hotspring and Sundance generate ozone 24 hours a day even with the jets or lights being on.  They both have been doing this for over 3 years now.

Cgar

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:29:35 am »

Both Hotspring and Sundance generate ozone 24 hours a day even with the jets or lights being on.  They both have been doing this for over 3 years now.

Cool.  Thanks for the correction Chris_H.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 10:41:57 am »

How come the little Ozone indicator on the panel goes off as soon as you turn on the jets?  You're saying the ozone is actually on when the indicator is off?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 10:50:11 am »
I am unaware of any ozone indicator on Sundance spas.  Where is it on the control panel?

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 10:53:40 am »
I am unaware of any ozone indicator on Sundance spas.  Where is it on the control panel?

If you go to the Sundance website you can pull up the user manual for the 2004 850 series.  Page 16 has the layout of the panel.  The bottom picture shows the ozone indicator next to the heater indicator.  It's a little round thing that kinda looks like the sun.

Chris_H

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:18:03 am »
For Sundance Spas, I am pretty sure it is on all the time, but I also have never paid attention to that indicator light.  However, it could “appear” that the ozone is on (putting out bubbles) due to the Mazzei injector.

At this time, I must take back my statement that Sundance puts out ozone at all times.  I will find the answer this weekend.

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 11:19:45 am »
My Master spa Ozinator is on all the time as well. It definitely doesn't turn off when you hit a top side switch!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 11:20:25 am »
For Sundance Spas, I am pretty sure it is on all the time, but I also have never paid attention to that indicator light.  However, it could “appear” that the ozone is on (putting out bubbles) due to the Mazzei injector.

At this time, I must take back my statement that Sundance puts out ozone at all times.  I will find the answer this weekend.

I know the indicator goes on and off but you're right that it does appear to always be running when the circ pump is running as you see the little bubbles even when the ozone indicator is off.  I'd be interested to know how this really works.

Ken

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 11:43:13 am »
On my 2003 Reward the light (purple) on the ozonator is still on when the pumps are running.

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 12:01:22 pm »

This is not an accurate statement.  The production of ozone is terminated the moment a function button is depressed in the Optima and remains off until 5 minutes after the last function button has been depressed.  

This is engineering by design and is based on experience which makes a difference between the makers we shop.  Some are Quality by design, other are replicas or what you might call "knock offs".

The bubbles that continue to appear are air bubbles not ozone.  The electric is terminated to the ozonator ceasing the production of ozone and turning the function indicator off.  The hydraulic connections remain connected to the mazzie injector and suction continues to suck air.

The question and issue relates to interior vs. exterior concerns relating to the concept of "off-gassing", chemicals "off-gass" as well.

The smell of ozone is recognizable and can be related to the clean smell of air after a rain storm.  Ozone is brought down from the upper atmosphere taking impurities out of the air leaving the clean fresh smell in the air.  Ozone is the primary source of smoke eaters or eliminators in places where smoking is allowed.

Your dealer should be able to demonstrate the output of a generator but remember what we smell is the gaseous form of ozone that we are trying to eliminate or reduce before it gets into the atmospheric air.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 12:15:48 pm by J._McD »

Cgar

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 12:36:22 pm »
As others have said, the bubbles are simply an indicator that the circ. pump is running and drawing air via the mazzei (sp?) injector.  Originally at least, D1 was the only manufacturer who was able to continue to run the ozone generator while the jetting pumps ran (because their mixing chamber virtually eliminates off-gassing).  This may have changed as other companies begin to use similar technology.  I do know that the other two brands that we carry (Coleman and Artesian) shut off the ozone generator as soon as any button on the topside control is pressed.  As I understand it, this is regulated by UL (and perhaps by some additional safety standards boards).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 12:36:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42