What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vacation Tub Care  (Read 5718 times)

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Vacation Tub Care
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:18:06 am »
I'm going away for Ten days, use Chlorine. What do I need to do to ensure water quality.  No I don't have anyone to take care of my tub while I'm gone, thats probably not such a bad thing.  Thanks!    :)

Hot Tub Forum

Vacation Tub Care
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:18:06 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Vacation Tub Care
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:14:43 am »
Turn the temp down. Bacteria and other nasty things grow faster at 102 than 75.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 10:36:48 am »
We have been giving a good dose or dichlor (about 3 tbsp) before we leave and set the temp down to 80 or so.  Lowering the temp shuts off the circ pump on our Optima so the filtration is only done with the 4 - 1 hour cycles each day.  After a week the temp only drops to about 90 though and when we get back we drop in some more dichlor and all is good.  Each time we get back from being away I expect the water to be nasty but it's crystal clear every time...

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:44:27 am »
Thanks Ken, I  didn't know how much to add and was worried  about putting alot in because  I didn't want to damage the cover. Sounds easy enough, we'll see.    :)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
Thanks Ken, I  didn't know how much to add and was worried  about putting alot in because  I didn't want to damage the cover. Sounds easy enough, we'll see.    :)

Just follow the same procedure as when you do a weekly shock.  I leave the top open for 20 minutes or so with the jets on if I add that much.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 12:20:59 pm »
Ken beat me to it, but I do the same!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Soakin

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 12:48:52 pm »
Ozone (if you have it) and a Nature2 cartridge provide some extra security while you are gone.

gtballer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 11:13:14 pm »
Would ozone and nature 2 be enough if you were going to be away for 2 weeks?

autoplay

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 10:11:51 pm »
Another tip.......don't let your neighbors watch your house,and offer full access to your house and hot-tub ;)

Just returned from a 10 day vacation,and the spa when I left was just cleaned,ready for usage. When I returned,I have/had never seen it as dirty lol. Apparently,the neighbor kid,who is 3,decided to use a "noodle" in the spa,and some of it flaked apart,and in doing so,logged into the bearings/races. Also,mega dirt and a tad bit of leaves were scattered around.

Drained the water,added new water,then scooped bout a half-hours worth of foam. Took off all the headrests,and also removed all the bearings. The bearings were the worse part of the fiasco,as they can be easily damaged if not handled with care,while disassembling the bearing for inspection/cleaning. After removing the grit/"noodle" stuff,I then soaked em in vinegar.

So far I have about 2 hours into it,with probably another 2 hours to get it back to it's state,prior to vacation.

Bottom line,nothing was broken,no one was hurt,and ultimately,they enjoyed themselves,which is what life is for :)

Enjoyment for me was being on vacation,and now,looking forward to going back to work ;)

Peace Out

Soakin

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 11:37:51 pm »
Would ozone and nature 2 be enough if you were going to be away for 2 weeks?

I haven't done it personally, but others on this site have reported coming back to clean water after 2 weeks.  If you start with a superchlorination, you probably have a pretty good chance.  We arrange to have someone water the plants, check the house and throw a tablespoon of dichlor in at least once if we are going to be gone that long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 11:37:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42