What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Cover Lifters  (Read 6121 times)

catswamp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot Tub Cover Lifters
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:45:12 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the Cover-Up cover lifter made by CoverPlay in Medford, Oregon?  My Dealer sells these and says they are one of the best.  What do you think?     Thanks for any info on this. ;)

http://www.coverplay.com/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:54:51 am by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Cover Lifters
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:45:12 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Hot Tub Cover Lifters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:03:30 am »
I'm considering something like it. I've broken two lifters because I have a large cover 92"x92"  5"-3" thick cover and when it starts to get water logged it gets heavy and puts too much strain on the cabinet and the lifter itself. I'm also considering a shelf type.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 09:17:31 am »
Does anyone have any experience with the Cover-Up cover lifter made by CoverPlay in Medford, Oregon?  My Dealer sells these and says they are one of the best.  What do you think?     Thanks for any info on this. ;)

http://www.coverplay.com/

I think you would be limiting yourself to buying a whole new cover and lifter when this cover/lifter combo wears out as opposed to just buying a new cover with a separate cover and lifter combo.  And I would seriously question any cover manufacturer that advertises as this one with the following statement:
"The cover lift that integrates with the spa cover, creating a spa that is up to 40% more energy efficient."  
Are they saying their setup is more efficient just because the lifter is buried in the cover?  I think not......
I suggest you forget this approach and get a good lifter (there are many) to go with a standard cover. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:02:47 am »
I have seen one of these lifts on the spa of a military family who moved into town some years ago. They didn't have the cool brackets to mount the thing, and it was ripping the siding apart. They only had the little triangular bits with the springs.
I sold them an "EZ lift" which worked the same way and mounted to the base of the tub.

The various optional brackets they offer look like a real improvement - I have no idea if the one I saw was simply missing those parts or if they are a new addition to the product.

Also, the one I saw wasn't burried in the cover - that's very interesting. I see nothing mentioned about it on the site - anyone have one of these or see one somewhere? Is that a special cover that they make or is it something they can offer from a cover maker?

??? ???

On the other hand, you can go to www.rhtubs.com and order any of a dozen different lifters.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

catswamp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 12:31:58 pm »
I don't mean the Cover-Pro (that's the one with the horizontal tube imbeded in the cover).  I was wondering about the Cover-Up, with the horizontal tube on top of the cover seam.  Both are made by CoverPlay of Medford, Oregon.  I hope this clarifies things!  Thanks.
javascript:wink()
Wink

catswamp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 01:43:37 pm »
Their website is www.coverplay.com

Soakin

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:29:28 pm »
This qualifies as pot-stirring, but at least Arctic has the courtesy to publish studies (controversial though they may be) to back up their claims of energy efficiency.  It seems to me that Coverplay should at least have an asterisk, leading to fine print saying "40% more efficient than a spa without a cover!", or "because we say so". ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 02:30:08 pm by Soakin »

Daveflave

• Go WSU Cougs!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 03:21:27 pm »
I just purchased a hot tub yesterday but one of my concerns was about the cover lifter.  I have a 180 degree view that I want to preserve and enjoy in the hot tub.  I have the main seats facing the view but the step to get in is between them so I can’t mount it on that side.  The only option that the dealer had was to mount a cover shelf on the view side of the cabinet but down so that the cover would be flush with the lip of the tub.  Has anyone used this as an option?  Are there better options out there?  Thanks.

catswamp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 04:04:27 pm »
I really was not asking about the Cover-Pro model, but rather the Cover-Up model lifter.  They explain more about the 40% more efficiency on their website.  The Cover-Up model does not make this claim--does anyone have any experience with the Cover-Up model lifter?  I would be using it with a standard Hot Springs Vanguard cover. :)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 04:31:28 pm »
The regular cover-up is a nice lifter. The tubing they use in smaller in diameter than any other lifter so as to not put as much stress on the cover's hinge. They claim to make up for the lessor strength of the smaller diameter by making the actual metal thicker.

We sell quite a few and haven't had any complaints, that I can remember.

With regards to the other lift's claims of being 40% more efficient............ I think there must be a TYPO and they mistakenly added a ZERO into their figure.......... or they're basing the calculation on a one foot square cover. Even with a Sunstar brand spa cover (Sunstar has the widest gap between the 2 cover halves of any brand) , the uninsulated area of the hinge accounts for only about 1% of the entire cover's surface area.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 10:35:53 pm »
having no problems with my EZlift..........Think it works ok...Jt :o

catswamp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 10:55:45 am »
Well, we decided to go with the dealer's recommendation & install the Cover-Up lift.  It went together nicely and works well, and seemed to be a fair price at $159.95.  Though installation would have been easier for first timers like us if an installation video was provided by either dealer or mfg.  The mfg. does have a video available, but we didn't know about it until afterward.  They make no mention of it on their installation direction sheet.  Thanks to all for your input!   :) :)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 12:27:27 pm »
Too late now for you, but if anyone else ever needs, the video is available online here;

http://www.coverplay.com/video/install_b.wmv
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 12:27:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42