What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Microban filter question  (Read 4960 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Microban filter question
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:14:42 pm »
The arctic spas are now using the microban filters.  I was just wondering if you still need to was the filters with chemicals and so on with microban.

I spoke with a sundance dealer and he told me that with microban you just leave them in and toss them every 6 to 8 months.

Any thoughts.

Hot Tub Forum

Microban filter question
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:14:42 pm »

fletch49

Re: Microban filter question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:36:44 am »
Do you mean MicroPure filters?  
http://www.micropure.ca/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they are using Microban in the filter. These filters are great, they keep the water crystal clear. They claim to filter down to 1 micron. The only issue is that you cannot add descummers, enzymes, or liquid chemicals to the tub, as they will clog the filter.

Has anyone switched from the standard reusable filters to these filters? ...I like to hear what you think of them compared to the reusables.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 06:38:23 am by Spazz »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 06:43:37 am »
no liquid chemicals?  do all necessary chemicals come in powder format then.   Should I be using this new filter or should I just stick with the old style.

fletch49

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:27:19 am »
You're best to email the manufacturer with any technical questions, but from what I gather, the advantages of a 1 micron filter is to eliminate the need for defoamers, clarifiers, cleaners, enzymes and descummers, as the filter is trapping particulate in the range causing foaming, scum, and higher overall TDS counts. Standard pleated filters are in the 30-50 micron range, so other chemicals are needed to chemically minimize contaminants.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:31:11 am by Spazz »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:11:09 am »
that sounded great to me.  I remember the dealer saying that with the new filters, you do not need the chemicals that you listed due to the fact that they can take the smaller particles out of the water.

Thanks

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 09:42:25 am »
 I have mixed feelings about these filters. First off, let me freely admit that the spas I sell do not offer them.

But having said that, I know that the typical filter will last two or three years - many times that for our new Tri-X. They are not hard to clean, and keep the water in our tubs nice and clean. I'm saying that they do the job just fine. Very few tub owners here have mentioned any real problem with their filtration system, and with one or two exceptions, we all have the regular type of filter in our tubs.

While I can see the appeal of filtering to a smaller particle, most folks don't need it. And if you do, you can simply add a floculant such as "Bright and Clear" or "Sea Clear" to the water as needed.

I would like to see Unicel or other filter maker offer these as retrofits to other tubs - only then could we do a comparison test to see if there is a real difference - to see if they will make the tubs easier to own.

I'm always looking for things which will make it easier to own a tub - but I don't want them to add to the cost. By 'cost,' I mean the ongoing cost of ownership - as in buying a $15 filter every few months, or every time somebody oils the thing up or whatever it is that brings people in after a party to ask me if I have them.  

I'm trying to find a source for those disposable filters for our Sundance owners who don't like the Sundance dealer anymore... anyone? I would like to buy a case or two to keep on hand.

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 10:11:28 am »
The filters are in the water and your water is supposed to sanitized so what is the point. I like Microban in the shells as it can help a little above the water line but it seems a little silly to me in a filter.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

fletch49

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 11:03:19 am »
It's not a Microban product. This filter has nothing to do with the antibacterial product found in Microban. The MicroPure filter is a disposable 1 micron filter. It will not assist with the sanitation of your tub.

The filters are in the water and your water is supposed to sanitized so what is the point. I like Microban in the shells as it can help a little above the water line but it seems a little silly to me in a filter.

calispagurl

• Cailifornia Spa Gurls Rule!~~~
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 03:57:19 pm »
What's tri-x ...

and a customer who doesnt like their Sundance Dealer?!?!?!? whatta shame?!?!? why.?!?!? who is it? what city.. the dealer  should be ashamed of themselves...
and about the Micro-CLEAN filter.. it is a proprietary sundance filter..and cannot be distributed by any others.

~ cali spa gurl :)

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 06:13:58 pm »
It's not a Microban product. This filter has nothing to do with the antibacterial product found in Microban. The MicroPure filter is a disposable 1 micron filter. It will not assist with the sanitation of your tub.

She/he asked about Microban filters and that is what I answered. They do make them if you did not know.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

fletch49

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:33:53 pm »
Hi Gary - I think bosco0633 was talking about a product called MicroPure, a product that Arctic Spa uses for their filters. I'm assuming he mean't to say micropure, not microban, as Arctic doesn't use Microban in their filters (as far as I know) :-/

Microban is pretty ubiquitous. Seems like it's in everything. I even have it in my kitchen countertop, I have no doubt it's in filters as well.   Let's hope it does turn out to be an issue like teflon.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 06:37:20 pm by Spazz »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:33:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42