What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Evaporation  (Read 7854 times)

drprwnap

Evaporation
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:29:51 am »
I was at my brother's last night.  When I went to uncover his hot tub, I noticed that the water level was down considerably. When I told him, he said it was do to evaporation.  I guess I would like to know how much evaporation I could expect with a tub? I realize it will depend on useage, model,  and location. Just looking for some feedback  :)
Thanks!

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

Evaporation
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:29:51 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Evaporation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 08:38:18 am »
A lot depends on the climate.  Dry cold air will hold more moisture than a hot sticky climate where you might get no evaporation.  I just added about 25 gallons to my spa, for the second time since late October.  But it's not all evaporation.  Every time someone exits the spa they take water with them.
Generally between water changes I have to add about 20 to 30 gallons of water on average, to my 500 gallon spa.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 09:25:58 am »
That water that comes out with people can be minimized. Certain types of suits hold less water than others, human skin being the best - and if you can just get up and stand still for a moment or two and allow the water to run back into the spa before you step out it will make a noticeable difference.

In cold climates, this may not be possible, but here in paradise we learn this trick early on.

Also, opening the lid slowly to allow the water on the underside to run off into the tub helps. I keep saying I'm going to get a squeegee for my bottom....

Not that it's a big deal to add water now and then, but these are tricks we do to keep from dragging more water out of the tub every time somebody gets out.

During a wet test in the showroom, it becomes very obvious: some folks who have never owned a spa will simply stand up and get out. If I'm not right there to stop them, it makes an amazing puddle on the floor. If I can ask them to get out more slowly very little water will hit the carpet.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 09:55:53 am »
then of course, if you are at my house, and you have 3 children who use the spa almost daily, and 1 is only 3 years old and thinks the new spa is her personal swim spa/ water park ride,  after only 5 days you have to add some water! ::)
after adding the water this morning, had a talk with the "offspring"..... we'll see.....might become an adult only spa for a few days...LOL

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:17:09 am »
We have a 425 gallon 92"x92" tub and even in the cold dry winter we only lose about an inch every two to three weeks.  When I found myself losing an inch every day or two I had a leak.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 11:14:28 am »
When I found myself losing an inch every day or two I had a leak.
Forget it: I'm not even going to go there.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bigbender

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 11:30:19 am »
Up until last week, our outside temps have been hanging around freezing in the evenings and I've been adding at least one 5 gallon bucket of water to our tub every week.

I've found that it depends on how much we use it and how many people are in at a time. Last saturday, I had it filled up to the waterline and that evening there were four of us in the tub for an hour. When our tub is clear full and four people get in there, the water can get splashed out fairly easy. Chas is also correct about carrying it out in your suits. If you add in the evaporation, our water level goes down faster than I expected.

I just added 2 - 5 gallon buckets of water last evening to get it back up to full.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 11:30:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42