What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete or other base  (Read 8598 times)

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
Concrete or other base
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:50:09 pm »
I am wondering what you are using under your spa? I dont really want to pour concrete and I'm not putting it on a deck. It s a fairly wooded /country and I dont think it would look right. What do the manufaturers recommend?

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete or other base
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:50:09 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Concrete or other base
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:28:20 am »
Of the spa's I researched, all recommended at least 4" of concrete.  Whatever you use as a base for your spa, be sure it won't invalidate your warranty.  
Other than concrete, I've heard of people using EZ pads and similar products, compacted gravel, pavers, and wooden decks, and just setting the spa on level ground.
Brewman
Brewman

nicker

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 08:38:50 am »
I would follow what your dealer/mfg states.  But I think most use concrete or a deck.   I think the problem with mini pavers (patio stones) is they will shift and not all the same way so you would eventually end up with an unlevel surface which could cause structural damage to the tub.

Just curious why no deck?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 09:40:05 am »
I am using cement.  My driveway and back patio should be getting finished once the weather is nicer.  My arctic spa comes with the forever floor, and I was told that it does not matter what type of bottom you put it on.  Still piece of mind knowing that it is on cement is nice.  A friend of mine just dropped his on patio stones.

I was wondering as well, why no deck?

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:28:24 am »
The problem with dirt is that there is a possibility of shifting/settling over time.  A hot tub is a pretty hefty thing!

A floating slab isn't going to completely eradicate that problem, but with the inches of drainage rock underneath the slab it should help.

Having said that, though, make the concrete slab flush with the ground, and only make is at big as the hot tub base, and, when you put the hot tub on it you should not see the concrete at all or, if you do, maybe just and inch or two all around.

Or, get a good tamper, tamp down the ground, lay down railroad ties or EX-Pads, and hope for the best! 8)

-Ed

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 11:47:33 am »
i just got my new tub last week. i built a mini deck. used 9 cement "deck blocks" as a base. each one sits on a 12"x12" square patio block. standard 2x8's for joists, and used 2x4's spaced 3"s apart as decking.
this is for a caldera niagra, 900lbs+ empty, and 500gals of water means total about 5000lbs?
the whole thing took me approx 3 hrs to build and was less than $200 for everything.
that hardest part was getting all the blocks level. after that the rest was less than 1 hr. i do however, own a framing air nailer. with out one should only add about 30 min's more top the job....

tansu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 11:55:46 am »
peagravel, $50

PPOL

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 12:50:50 pm »
I agree, we have placed tubs on level pea gravel bases before.  

You can also use railroad ties if you wanted.  The major point being is that the tub itself is level.

catswamp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 02:45:29 pm »
In the past we have used about 1 1/2 ton Quarry Process for an 8'x 8' base, topped with 1/2 ton pea gravel.  You do have to be sure its level.
   This time , at another house, we used Granite Pebbles (pea gravel) 3-4 inches deep with a" Handi-Spa Pad" on top, again all must be levell.  Our dealer reccommended this product (www.conferladders.com)--we'll see how it holds up.  ps.   It was a nice product to work with. ($290. for an 8'x 8' pad)

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 03:47:34 pm »
Thanks for the replys. The deck question has comeup a couple of times and the real answer is MONEY ;) With that being said we are still renovating our home and have put a TON of MONEY and hard work. We are still not thru but are at the point where we deserve a TREAT  ;D That would be the SPA! When we get ready for the outside decks yard etc etc we will probably move the spa to a deck most likely where it will go for now.  So I thank you all for the replys and for my next question which SPA ;D ;D ;D ;D I will post another thread but already have a couple in mind Thanks again Gary
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 03:49:18 pm by Gary1911 »

autoplay

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 09:24:53 pm »
A Caldera naturally,Gary ;)

Which spa in all honesty,is the spa which comforts you the best in WET mode :)

GL

Greenraisin

• See you down life's highway!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 09:52:19 pm »
I used Dek Blocks and it was quick and easy. Check them out at:

Dek-Blocks Home

FAQ on Hot Tub use

From there, you can navigate around the site and see plans, ideas, frequently asked questions, etc. A great product and a quick solution. Mine is only about 11" off the ground at the highest point.

Decks Built for Hotubs

Remember, too, that if you put your tub on the ground, you have a propensity to track whatever you walk through into your tub! A deck or concrete slab larger than your tub will allow you to wipe off your feet, or leave your shoes, flips on the edge and not track anything up the stairs and into your tub! Nothing worse than tracking grass, gravel dust, etc. into the water!

Check out Dek Blocks! I had mine, (10'X10') built in 2 hours, once the materials were in the backyard!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:39:39 pm by Greenraisin »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 05:06:26 am »
I used treated 4x4's and treated 3/4 plywood and made my own base. I also filled the cavitys created between the 4x4's with foam board to quiet the thing down and add extra insulation. This platform sits on compacted class 2 limestone. It's stained to match the tub and a couple inches bigger all around.

Retired

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 07:07:40 am »
I used Dek Blocks and it was quick and easy. Check them out at:

Dek-Blocks Home

FAQ on Hot Tub use

From there, you can navigate around the site and see plans, ideas, frequently asked questions, etc. A great product and a quick solution. Mine is only about 11" off the ground at the highest point.

Decks Built for Hotubs

Remember, too, that if you put your tub on the ground, you have a propensity to track whatever you walk through into your tub! A deck or concrete slab larger than your tub will allow you to wipe off your feet, or leave your shoes, flips on the edge and not track anything up the stairs and into your tub! Nothing worse than tracking grass, gravel dust, etc. into the water!

Check out Dek Blocks! I had mine, (10'X10') built in 2 hours, once the materials were in the backyard!!

I could swing that ! Thats a great idea. Are they $$$?

autoplay

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 07:10:31 am »
Tman...What's the deal???  I don't see any place to store any beer.  Just when I thought I knew ya,you go showing a pic of the real you,and your spa :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 07:10:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42