What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 24 hour Circ Pumps  (Read 15351 times)

Kelley

24 hour Circ Pumps
« on: September 16, 2004, 10:18:39 am »
What are the pro's and con's of a 24 hour circ pump. Do they really make a difference? How loud are they as my spa will be out side the bedroom.

Hot Tub Forum

24 hour Circ Pumps
« on: September 16, 2004, 10:18:39 am »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: 24 hour Circ Pumps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 10:21:36 am »
On the spas I have looked at, I cound not hear the circualtor pump at all.  It should be a much smaller pump than the pumps used for the jets and should not be a problem for you.

But what do I know, my tubs isn't here yet, maybe next week.

Jonathan

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 11:10:59 am »
Both systems are perfectly fine but if sound is an issue circ pumps are a big improvement over having a 2-speed pump on for filtering/heating as circ pumps are so quiet you won't know they're on. Circ pumps also allow you to produce ozone 24/7.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 11:43:02 am »
If noise is a consern, some tubs are louder than others. For example The Coleman 470D in my store has dual 4.8bHP/2.5 HP pumps. When on high spped the water noise is much louder than the pumps. In fact I would GUESS that one pump on low is less than 5db louder than the circ pump on the D-1 Lotus Bay 5 feet away.

Beyond that I would say SpaTech has the answer to your question.
Homeworks Financing Representative

rick

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 11:46:47 am »
On my Coleman, I cannot tell unless I walk up to the spa and listen real carefully to see if the filter cycle is on.
It is that quiet.  Non issue.  
Can't knock a 24 hour pump cuz I haven't seen em but the talk is that they do tend to wear out early plus their efficiency in suction leaves something to be desired.  

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 11:53:09 am »
here is a previous topic that had some discussion about circ pumps.
It's full of info - possibly more than you care to know...

Circulation Pump - are they truly a cost saver
e

knowsabit

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 12:54:40 pm »
On my Coleman, I cannot tell unless I walk up to the spa and listen real carefully to see if the filter cycle is on.
It is that quiet.  Non issue.  
Can't knock a 24 hour pump cuz I haven't seen em but the talk is that they do tend to wear out early plus their efficiency in suction leaves something to be desired.  

24 hour circ pumps do not wear out quickly, and even if they did they are inexpensive to replace.  A huge, very expensive two speed jet pump that runs 70 times more because it is used to provide circulation for filtration and heating will undoubtedly wear out more quickly than its counterpart in a spa equipped with a 24 hr circ pump; which only runs when the spa is being used.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 01:21:26 pm »
Circ pumps also allow you to produce ozone 24/7.

This is what I think is the biggest advantage.

Ours is quiet as well so we don't notice it running.  We still use four 60 minute filtration cycles a day even though we have the 24 hour circ pump.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 02:39:30 pm »
There is no advantage for small 24hr pump:

They do not save money.

They filter much less water which equates to less turn over.

Noise is not an issue if the spa is built properly.

Wait a minute what I am saying there is a big advantage for the silly little pumps, they make me lots of money. So keep them coming HS, Sundance, D-1...

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 03:07:25 pm »
There is no advantage for small 24hr pump.

Are you saying that there is NO advantage to having an ozonator run 24 hours a day vs only during the filtration cycles?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 03:23:28 pm »
There is probably no advantage as far as filtering goes, unless you have a very fine, low flow filter such as the micro clean filter SD (and others now) uses.  For ozone and heating, my preference is the 24 hour circ pump.  I also like the idea of constant water circulation.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »
There is no advantage for small 24hr pump:

They do not save money.

They filter much less water which equates to less turn over.

Noise is not an issue if the spa is built properly.

Wait a minute what I am saying there is a big advantage for the silly little pumps, they make me lots of money. So keep them coming HS, Sundance, D-1...

Gary

"NO advantage?"  "SILLY little pumps?"

Hmmmmm.

OK, try this.  Turn off the power to your spa for 3 days after you use it heavily one weekend (make sure it's WARM weather).  Add any chemicals you normally would when not using it.

After these 3 days, see what the water looks like and THEN tell me circ pumps are "silly."

BTW, please don't waste my time with discussion on "low power setting" pump motors coming on for 15 minutes twice a day to "filter" the water in an $8,000 tub.

Just what IS he saying?

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

rick

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 03:48:49 pm »
I do not miss 24/7 ozonization as my water is and has always been crystal clear.  Don't let people tell you your water needs ozonization 24/7.  
Also on a side note, it would seem that your ozonater will wear out prematurely if it's constantly running.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 04:48:21 pm »
I do not miss 24/7 ozonization as my water is and has always been crystal clear.  Don't let people tell you your water needs ozonization 24/7.  
Also on a side note, it would seem that your ozonater will wear out prematurely if it's constantly running.

You don't NEED ozone 24/7, but it is a plus when compared to having ozone on 6-8 hours/day.

I think the logic that having the ozone on 24/7 lessens its life is silly. With that logic you might as well not have ozone at all as that way it can never fail.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

zzaphod42

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 04:52:10 pm »
I think the logic that having the ozone on 24/7 lessens its life is silly. With that logic you might as well not have ozone at all as that way it can never fail.

Good point

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 04:52:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42