What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drain twice a year??  (Read 3671 times)

Sunny

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Drain twice a year??
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:14:28 am »
Hi everyone!  I'm new around here.

I'm shopping for a 6-7-person tub, and I think the most important thing I've learned from this forum is to go with a quality top-tier manufacturer & a dependable dealer.  I want to minimize maintenance headaches & I really don't want to shop for the next six months.

Here's where I am:
-- I found a good dealer (I hope, I think!) 15 minutes away from my home.  (There are not that many dealers around here.)  They only carry Watkins, so my choices are Hot Spring & Caldera.  The salesman says first decide if I want a lounger (wet test) and then decide by features.  He says generally Caldera is considered to have more forceful jets than Hot Spring.
-- Tomorrow my whole family (4 of us) is going to wet test & we'll take notes.
-- This dealer is having a sale where they'll throw in steps, cover lifter & water care package ($525 value) that ends tomorrow, but he may be able to extend the offer for a week or so.  Plus $300 off the tub, I think.
-- I want to wet test twice, consider how the various jet configurations work for us, consider all features & hopefully make a decision within two weeks.

Any advice, comments, am I on the right track?

Also, the salesman said something that startled me.  He said you really only need to drain twice a year, in spring & late fall.  He said that's what he does.  Is this some deep dark secret that many tub owners do?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Drain twice a year??
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:14:28 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Drain twice a year??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 07:45:20 am »
I drain four time per year, per my spa maker's suggestion.  I've heard some do three times.  
Two seems a bit of a stretch to me, but if it works for you...........You'll know when your water is shot.
You put in a lot of chemicals, not to mention people, in six months.  I think Chas said something to the effect that changing water is the cheapest most effective water treatment that exists.  (Sorry if I mis-quoted you Chas).  
Absolutely don't go six months on your first water.  That one you may consider changing early.

As for your spa shopping, take your time, and don't be pressured into a decision by anyone.  If you get a top quality spa you'll be spending anywhere from $7,000 on up, so don't fret about a few hundred dollars in "perks".
Most likely that free steps deal will be there whenever you buy.  Let the sales people know you are shopping their competition.  

Take your time, enjoy yourself.  You're off to a good start.

Don't forget to price in the cost of your electric and foundation.
Brewman
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 07:46:27 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:38:45 am »
Good Luck!  Do some research and see if there are other dealers/manufacturers in the area....we have found some that dont come up from the manufacturers websites. Let folks here know where you are and they may be able to point you to dealers within 100 miles.

Dont worry about the "sale"....if the dealer wants your business then those items will be there later at a similar price.

Remember to compare apples to apples.....steps are a biggie....if you want the synthetic steps by HS they run 400 bucks or so as compared to the wooden ones for 100.

Remember to ask here for advice and we will be sure to give it!!!!

Good Luck!!! :)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:03:18 pm »
I drain every other month (i.e. 60 days).  It is easy, cheap and keeps me happy.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:32:31 pm »
I agree .....Your sales person may be over stating something to make it seem a bit more easy ...for most people 3 to 4 times is more the norm and at times can be more than that ....this regardless of what brand of spa you own....

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 01:40:01 pm »
There are a couple major factors that will determine how often you will need to drain your spa.

First is the TDS (total dissolved solids) of your water. Depending on your source water and your what your starting point is, TDS will slowly increase with usage and the addition of chemicals, etc. At approx 1500 TDS, your water is saturated and can no longer "hold" product or sanitize effectively. Some might recommend a slightly higher number but you certainly open the door for cloudy, foamy, or smelly water at this point as well as the inability to balance your water effectively. No one can tell you exactly how often without knowing the readings of your water and the TDS starting point, but as Mendo stated, 3-4 times annually is standard.

The number of people and frequency of use will also determine when you will need to drain. TDS isn't something generally that people test for but your dealer will most likely have a TDS meter and they can give you recommendations as you go along.

Also, for the first and possibly second fill, you will be in a learning curve and your water should be drained more frequently (possibly 1st or 2nd month) as you will experience some difficulties initially balancing your water. This is common.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:43:10 pm by Steve »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 11:26:03 am »
I agree .....Your sales person may be over stating something to make it seem a bit more easy ...for most people 3 to 4 times is more the norm and at times can be more than that ....this regardless of what brand of spa you own....

I lost a sale to Sundance on this issue recently. The extra bummer part was that it was a long-time friend who chose not to buy from us because the they told him he would only have to change the water twice per year.

The 300 gallons an average spa holds is a fraction of a 'hundred cubic foot' unit of water: so it adds pennies to a monthly water bill. And it's so much easier to maintain water which is only a couple of months old - I say change and change often.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 12:35:17 pm »
We could all sell our spas and tell people that you should change your water annually. Heck, you don't really need to ever change it 'till it gets really bad right?
These dealers are doing n injustice to their customers and their product by telling them this.

The same could be said if we were selling cars. You don't really need to ever change your oil either. There's a reason why we do. Water quality and extending the life of your components is the reason why.

Steve

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 01:43:39 pm »
  Also, consumers need to realize that things like monthy energy quotes,  # of times you need to change your water,  how much money or percentage of money in chemicals a ozone system will save them. Are numbers and words usually just made up to sound good.  I have had similar situations, where I had people come back and tell me what another place told them, and in situations like this, I ask them will the dealer that told you this put it in writing, and if it doesn't happen compensate you for bills higher than quoted, or go out and change your water if it needs to be done more than twice, give you free chemicals if the ozone system is not saving you money on chemical usage!!  

Chas,  from reading your posts and respecting your opinions on most issues you address, I am shocked you lost a sale over that, with someone you knew???  LOL

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 02:39:38 pm »
  Chas,  from reading your posts and respecting your opinions on most issues you address, I am shocked you lost a sale over that, with someone you knew???  LOL

I was bummed, to say the least.

:'(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 06:31:59 pm »
I was bummed, to say the least.

:'(

Well...I say they didn't know you very well!  If I may say so...they were dumb!  Not for buying a Sundance, because it is a great tub, but for using the water change frequency as an excuse!

Tsk tsk tsk!!!   :P
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

h20bill

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 10:57:21 pm »
first off you will not regret buying a watkins product, dealership and manufacturer are key in a spa purchase.
The draining and refill twice a year is wishfull thinking!
If you are going to use dichlor chlorine which is most common and in most cases a better choice than bromine, then the measuring stick for drain and refill should be cyanuric acid levels not TDS. I have seen TDS at 400ppm and cyanuric acid at 200 ppm. the water becomes very acidic and balancing anything becomes difficult. your dealer can test for this if you don't have a
good test kit. Even with ozone when using dichlor and average use, stabilizer will build faster than any of us would like to think

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 10:57:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42