What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagara owners question  (Read 3024 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Caldera Niagara owners question
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:16:54 am »
We are pulling the trigger today, decided on Caldera. We have been quoted on the Hawaiian, which we chose due to size concerns, but now know we can fit in a Niagara also.

Can anyone comment on the dual-purpose seat with two headrests? Is it a compromise between a standard seat and a lounger, or something else?  There are quite a few other upgrades from the Hawaiian that I know I will like, such as the second panel control and exterior lights.

Thanks
John

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagara owners question
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:16:54 am »

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Re: Caldera Niagara owners question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:41:23 am »
John,

Go back and look at my review this week on the Caldera Niagra and the Tahitian.

For us personally we did not like the Niagra.  The "swivel" seat did absolutely nothing for either of us and it was a struggle to use it (get comfortable).

Based on that seat we ruled out the Niagra for us.

Good Luck!

:)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:32:16 am »
 So have you bought the Sundance yet?

We are debating whether we should even wet test the Optima; due solely on the impression our local dealer had on my wife, I haven't even seen the tubs in person yet.

Sometimes it's good to deal with a "Mom and Pop" organization, sometimes not. They may be able to give us a better deal then Caldera, just don’t know if I even want to go there.

We didn't care for any of the true lounger models either; disregarding your dislike, can you comment on exactly what Caldera is trying to accomplish with this "swivel seat"?

PS: I modified this thread because after posting it, I decided to drive out to the Sundance dealer myself. Not as bad as my wife portrayed it. The dealer was knowledgeable and friendly.

So we will wet test the Optima this afternoon and compare it with the Niagara. Pretty close apples to apples. It seems the Optima has two of what they call "swivel seats", but without the side mounted foot jets.

BTW, My Caldera dealer just quoted me a price of $8814 for a new 2005 Niagara, turn key/ delivery, etc. Sound like a good deal to me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 12:11:13 pm by johnvb »

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 11:43:05 am »
John,

The swivel seat basically allows for one to get a foot massage.  I would not call it a lounger.  BTW - I am 6'3" and for the short time I use the foot massage jets, it is not bad.  Of course, when this seat is used as a "corner" seat, it is a lower back massager.  For what it is worth, I hardly use it for the foot massage option.

My favorite seat in my Niagara is the one that lies at the SE corner (or 5:00) if you are looking at the spa (from the outside), facing the control panel.  This seat (in the Geneva) is incorporated in the lounger.  I wet-tested the Geneva and really could not utilize the lounger to its full potential.  What I am stating is that I really was not able to utilize the foot massage while taking advantage of the back jets.  Maybe it is because most of my length comes from my torso?  That being said, if one is of smaller stature, I am not really sure how he/she would truly be able to utilize the lounger.  Also, I only spent about 10 minutes wet-testing the Geneva, so maybe I did not spend enough time trying to acclimate myself to this seat.

If I have confused you, and you need further clarification, please let me know.  I do own the Niagara and certainly do not regret the decision.

All the best with your purchase!

Jeff

smartymose

• Finally got our Grandee!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:29:56 pm »
John --
I personally liked the foot jet massage seat in the Niagra. It was comfortable and I received a nice foot massage. It was nice to get this and not float in the loungers that we tried. This was a plus feature for us in the Caldera Niagra.  I also enjoyed the option of sitting diferently in the seat, using the other headrest, and getting a back massage.

Smartymose

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:13:27 pm »
John,

We didnt like the swivel seat in the niagra because  when you are in the position using the foot massage jets you are pretty "scrunched up".  When we were sitting facing the center it felt uncomfortable to us as well.

No havent bought the Sundance yet...LOL....going to test some artesian and others in Austin this  weekend first.

Good Luck!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 04:12:50 pm »
If you're not a lounge person (I'm not) then those swivel seats seem like a decent compromise but you should wet test first. Just like lounges I'd expect that they fit some people well and others not (as attested by Guttboy). Getting feedback from others is great on spas except in the area of wet testing you can only take this info to mean so much as one person's experience does necessarily carry over to another person. So if someone loves the wet test for one spa don't take that as a cue that you've found your spa any more than you should drop a spa from your choices just because a friend didn't appreciate his wet test.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 04:45:12 pm »
We are pulling the trigger today, decided on Caldera.

Hold the phone! We just wet tested the Optima and now it's our "new favorite"

Actually it was very close to the Calderas, but we did like the Sundance whirlpool and leg/foot jets better and the waterfall will be better orientated to be viewed from the house (nick-picking, I know)

OK, real reason is it was $1400 cheaper than the Niagara, same price as quoted for the Hawaiian, with basically the same features as the former.

Three days ago I said a disposal filter would be a deal breaker...oh, well, pass the crow!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 04:51:28 pm by johnvb »

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 08:54:18 pm »
just come out of the first real soak in my niagra. was delivered 2 days ago, and in between the rain. i managed to get it hooked up, and added onto the deck to go around 2 sides.
LOVIN' IT!!!
we are not lounger fans, thats why no geneva...
wet tested many others. settled on the niagra. the swivel seat is great for intense(but short) foot massage. my favorite 2 seats (standing in front) are r front corner= very intense deep tissue back rub, and the l rear corner, with the neck collar and full back massage. after working all afternoon on the deck addition, let me tell you. I WAS READY TO SOAK!
very happy an dnow relaxed.....
ours was an '04 model with all the toys, got it for $8100 with extra filter, extra jets, store credit and some other small stuff...
thought it was a fair price, and i am very pleased with everything ( except for the off/on rain we're still getting. spent almost an hour and a half in the tub earlier, and planning to go back in with the wife later for some "pm testing".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 08:54:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42