What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Tri-x filters.. any opinions  (Read 12016 times)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
Hot Springs Tri-x filters.. any opinions
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:41:15 pm »
Hi We are looking at the HS Envoy and the Sundance Cameo. One big selling point from the HS salesperson is the filters. He says the only maintance on the filters is to put them in the dishwasher...no soaking in anything , no scrubbing, no work. That is a big advantage over the sundance which has to be either replaced at 89.00 per 6-8months or soaked and cleaned with solution if you choose the regular filter, at a cost of 6-8 dollars every 1-2 months and replaced after 2yrs cost 69.00. That sounds like about $150.00 per year with the disposable or $75.00 or so (plus the time) with the regular Sundance filter.  The HS salesperson says the HS filters  collect down to 5 micron size and last 5-8yrs. Is all that info correct or close??  We are close to buying after 7 weeks of shopping and wet testing.  Thanks this site has helped very much!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Tri-x filters.. any opinions
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:41:15 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Hot Springs Tri-x filters.. any opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:51:29 pm »
We can't keep the Tri-X Filters in stock.  Everyone is replacing their old paper cartridges with the new filters.  I've been told by the folks at Watkins that the Tri-X Filters should last 10 years easy and maybe up to 20 years.  They do still need to be degreased every so often.

Our customers LOVE them! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:59:16 pm »
How much is a set of Tri-x filters. Does a person need a extra set when they are out for a 1/2 hour or so for cleaning. Also what is the procedure for the degreasing of these filters, and how often is that step needed. Thanks

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:04:55 pm »
The HS guy quoted us...and this is kinda blurry...about $65.00 per filter.  I am not 100% sure but will probably see him this week to ask.

Regards,

Mike

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 04:10:13 pm »
$60-70 is the going rate.  They need to have a filter cleaner sprayed on them about every 2-3 months.  You can also soak them in a bucket if you prefer.

It is easy as pie to clean them.  I have 3 spas in my showroom that have Tri-X filters in them.  I take them out and spray them with a water hose once a month.  It takes me a total of about 30 minutes to clean them all (13 filters).

I would just get one extra filter, not a whole set.

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 04:11:03 pm by East_TX_Spa »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 04:12:53 pm »
You can turn the spa off while cleaning the Tri-x filters.  I've been using filter cleaner but this time I'll try the dishwasher.  If you want to leave the spa on remove the 4 pump filters and leave the circulation filter in place. Then replace the 4 swapping one with the circulation filter.  Clean that 1 and you're done.

I rotate my filters at every cleaning anyways.  I can't imagine using paper filters.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 05:11:49 pm »
I have an Envoy and clean my filters weekly with a hose.  It takes maybe 15 minutes to rinse them off with a hard water spray from a nozzle.  They are then rotated when they are reinstalled.  Last weekend I changed the water and put the filters in the dishwasher, no soap, no dry cycle.  

In accordance with the Operation and Maintenance Manual, I always shut off the power at the circuit breaker before removing the filters to clean them.  

This is in fact very easy to do.  Only time will tell how long that last, but they look like they should last indefinitely with proper maintenance.

Regards,

Bill

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 05:43:32 pm »
jsimo,
If you have more than one filter I'm sure having a complete spare set is convenient but not absolutely necessary. What I would do is to simply have one spare filter. Clean the dirty filters one at a time rotating in a clean one for a dirty one,  etc. This saves you from having to have a full backup set. BTW, if you use a soak type filter cleaner (rinse, soak and give a VERY thorough final rinse) you can soak one and when finished use that same cleaner for a second one to soak in as it'll be effective for more than one filter (I like the soak method).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 06:02:00 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 05:58:10 pm »
  I think the HS filters are great, and HS has a good filtering system no matter what the filters.  I have a huge problem personally with cleaning my spa filter in the same place I clean my dishes.  Everything that comes OFF or OUT of your body (or anyone else that uses your tub) is in that filter. That is what you are cleaning off).   Plus, is spraying off a filter outside by your spa, or soaking it in a bucket,  much more of a hassle than bringing them in your house and running them through the dishwasher.  The fact that they last so long is very nice and affordable. Also, a 5 micron filter is much better than a 40 to 50 micron paper filter, which decreases in filter quality as it is used and cleaned  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 06:04:58 pm by stabone »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 06:01:07 pm »
I agree with stabone, it's a lot less hassle to just rinse them off with the water hose.  The only time I might consider putting them in the dishwasher is if the spa were in a very cold climate.  It's not much fun rinsing filters in freezing weather!

Terminator

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 06:07:38 pm »
  East Texas, what do you know about cleaning filters in cold weather!!!  LOL

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 07:07:11 pm »
Believe it or not, it does get pretty chilly down here from time to time.  When that north wind blows on my bald head, I think about calling the Hair Club for Men for price quotes! 8)

Terminator

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 08:45:58 pm »
 I have a huge problem personally with cleaning my spa filter in the same place I clean my dishes.  Everything that comes OFF or OUT of your body (or anyone else that uses your tub) is in that filter. That is what you are cleaning off).    

LOL :D :D :D

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Putty helped Kramer put the garbage disposal in his shower...then he prepared the entire meal for the germaphobe, Elaine, and Putty in the Shower!!!!!

No slam at all on anyone...just that episode was on late last night and I was laughing so hard I woke the wife up!!!!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 01:07:37 pm »
>I have a huge problem personally with cleaning my spa filter in the same place I clean my dishes.<  

Why?  Clearly you would only wash the filters alone, not with the dishes.  The dishwasher is designed to clean off and sanitize your dishes.  Bacteria from you mouth is on the dirty flatware and on the plates and dishes.  There are no more germs anywhere on or in your body than in your mouth.  The dishwasher is safe for your dishes, there is absolutely nothing that is in your spa filters that can't be taken care of.

The water should be hot enough to neutralize anything that could be on a filter.  In addition to using hot water, presumably you use sanitizer in your spa.  Dichlor or bromine would kill any bacteria in the water and hence on the filters anyway.  So the reality is the dishwasher is just super cleaning the filter to remove any accumulated oils or particulates that have been trapped in the filter media.  Bacteria should be minimal to non-existent.  There is no reason to have this concern.

Rinsing with a hose is not going to be as effective as a thorough cleaning in the dishwasher.  I rinse my filters with the hose every week, but intend to use the dishwasher about every other month when I change my water.  Have done it once already with no problem of any kind.

Regards,

Bill  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 01:07:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42