What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My First Horror Story..... :-(  (Read 7809 times)

georgiapeach

My First Horror Story..... :-(
« on: March 21, 2005, 11:38:51 am »
I came to the conclusion this weekend that no children will be allowed in my hot tub EVER AGAIN!!!!  OMG!  My brother and his wife and 2 kids stopped in to spend the night on Saturday (used us as a hotel) on their to FL from TN.  Wasn't too thrilled about it in the first place because my nephew is a wild boy!  Anyway, my brother and the kids get in the hot tub early in the afternoon.  After dinner, we all get in it.  Of course my nephew is using the hot tub like a swimming pool, i.e., dunking his head in, etc.  This was not a calm, soothing, soak for me.  They leave on Sunday morning....YEA!  Sorry, couldn't help myself!  Anyway, I go out shopping for a bit and my husband calls me on my cell phone to give me advanced warning that he opened up the hot tub and it was in bad shape!  I said, what kind of "bad shape"?  He said, looks like we're going to have to drain and refill (we just did that 2 weeks ago).  I said....well, I won't repeat what I said on here.  I came home and looked and I almost cried!  Boy, words came out of my mouth (not nice words either) It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my life!  My perfectly clean hot tub had this nasty, nasty, brown scum all around the edge of the tub.  I had to literally get in the tub and scrub it, and then use my handy dandy spa vac (that I had just gotten in the mail on Sat) and suck stuff from the bottom.  It was so gross!!!!!  I also took the filters out and cleaned them AGAIN....I got it cleaned up, added chlorline and let it run for about 45 minutes.  And to top it off, I got foam.... :-(  I was so upset!  After letting it run for 45 minutes, I turned it off and it looked pretty good, but I'll check it when I get home, cause it's had time to settle and we'll see how it looks.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to drain and refill again...:-(  Next time they come, the tub is OFF LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!   >:(

Hot Tub Forum

My First Horror Story..... :-(
« on: March 21, 2005, 11:38:51 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: My First Horror Story..... :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 11:51:51 am »
I don't let anyone under 30 use my tub anymore.

Except for son and daughter, and they know if they gunk it up they have to clean it out.

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

georgiapeach

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 11:59:51 am »
I don't let anyone under 30 use my tub anymore.

Except for son and daughter, and they know if they gunk it up they have to clean it out.

Well, I've learned my first lesson about that, believe me you....I'm still PO'd about it....got my blood pressure up as I was posting this.... >:(

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 12:48:32 pm »
I'm so sorry, Peachy!!

:'(

I wish you  and your water a speedy recovery!   :) ;D ;)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

georgiapeach

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 01:00:53 pm »
I'm so sorry, Peachy!!

:'(

I wish you  and your water a speedy recovery!   :) ;D ;)

Thanks Lori!!!!  :-)  
I'll let ya know how it looks when I get home.  
Do you suggest anything else I can do besides starting all over again?  

Peachy

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 01:07:39 pm »
I can relate!

I worked untill 1:00pm on Saturaday, and then did my weekly grocery shopping for my family of 5 after that. :o

I came home to my 17 year old son and 4 of his friends in my hottub. They had been snowboarding all day and had come back to our house to use the spa. Even though they were all sweated up from boarding, I'm glad they have the opportunity to enjoy the spa after all that outdoor activity.  After all, it's nothing some extra bromine won't take care of.

The problem was they ordered pizza and pop and ate and drank it while in the hottub. ( you know how lazy teenagers are, too much work to get out and eat)

On Sunday I tested the water and aside from it being soap foamy, and low in PH it was pretty clear. Sunday is the day I shock, so I just did my regular steps and put in the first filter for a little extra post teenager filtration.

Then something shiny caught my eye. It was pieces of glass. Someone had brought the glass glasses, instead of plastic out to the tub and apparently broke one in my hottub.( now my blood pressure is starting to go up typing this >:()

Of course no one bothered to give up this bit of information to me. I still shutter to think what may have happened if I had decided to jump in.

So I have to wait for a nice day and drain and wipe out and wetvac as much of the tub as I can. And not use it in the meantime >:( >:(

Anyone else ever have any experience with broken glass in your hottub ???

Spahappy :D

Lori

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 01:10:09 pm »
It sounds like you already did what I would suggest (super chlorinate and run the jets, cleaning the filters).  You may want to do that again, but I have a feeling that it will work itself out.  

Let's see what it looks like this evening, and go from there!

georgiapeach

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 07:27:34 pm »
I can relate!

I worked untill 1:00pm on Saturaday, and then did my weekly grocery shopping for my family of 5 after that. :o

I came home to my 17 year old son and 4 of his friends in my hottub. They had been snowboarding all day and had come back to our house to use the spa. Even though they were all sweated up from boarding, I'm glad they have the opportunity to enjoy the spa after all that outdoor activity.  After all, it's nothing some extra bromine won't take care of.

The problem was they ordered pizza and pop and ate and drank it while in the hottub. ( you know how lazy teenagers are, too much work to get out and eat)

On Sunday I tested the water and aside from it being soap foamy, and low in PH it was pretty clear. Sunday is the day I shock, so I just did my regular steps and put in the first filter for a little extra post teenager filtration.

Then something shiny caught my eye. It was pieces of glass. Someone had brought the glass glasses, instead of plastic out to the tub and apparently broke one in my hottub.( now my blood pressure is starting to go up typing this >:()

Of course no one bothered to give up this bit of information to me. I still shutter to think what may have happened if I had decided to jump in.

So I have to wait for a nice day and drain and wipe out and wetvac as much of the tub as I can. And not use it in the meantime >:( >:(

If you could have seen my tub, you'd rather have the glass!  Although I'd hate to have to drain and make sure I got all the glass out... :-(  

Came home and checked the tub....didn't look bad, but still foamy after turning on jets....but I think I'm going to drain and refill this weekend, more so for peace of mind....just can't see myself getting in it after seeing what it looked like yesterday!   :'(
YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Peachy

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 07:44:55 pm »
Only 2 steadfast rules for our tub:
Plastic only.
No kids that are not potty trained.
(Now if I could somehow make sure all the adults are potty trained....... :P)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 08:24:30 pm »
OMG....sorry to hear Georgia!!!

Yeah I would say that they are permanently BANNED from your Spa....No Ifs Ands or Buttttttts!!!!

Good luck in getting it back to its prisinte condition again!

Regards,

Lori

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 08:32:33 pm »
I can relate!

Ooh, that is perfect grounds for bannishment!  No glass goes near my spa!

Russ

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 09:46:27 am »
I came to the conclusion this weekend that no children will be allowed in my hot tub EVER AGAIN!!!!  OMG!  My brother and his wife and 2 kids stopped in to spend the night on Saturday (used us as a hotel) on their to FL from TN.  Wasn't too thrilled about it in the first place because my nephew is a wild boy!  Anyway, my brother and the kids get in the hot tub early in the afternoon.  After dinner, we all get in it.  Of course my nephew is using the hot tub like a swimming pool, i.e., dunking his head in, etc.  This was not a calm, soothing, soak for me.  They leave on Sunday morning....YEA!  Sorry, couldn't help myself!  Anyway, I go out shopping for a bit and my husband calls me on my cell phone to give me advanced warning that he opened up the hot tub and it was in bad shape!  I said, what kind of "bad shape"?  He said, looks like we're going to have to drain and refill (we just did that 2 weeks ago).  I said....well, I won't repeat what I said on here.  I came home and looked and I almost cried!  Boy, words came out of my mouth (not nice words either) It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my life!  My perfectly clean hot tub had this nasty, nasty, brown scum all around the edge of the tub.  I had to literally get in the tub and scrub it, and then use my handy dandy spa vac (that I had just gotten in the mail on Sat) and suck stuff from the bottom.  It was so gross!!!!!  I also took the filters out and cleaned them AGAIN....I got it cleaned up, added chlorline and let it run for about 45 minutes.  And to top it off, I got foam.... :-(  I was so upset!  After letting it run for 45 minutes, I turned it off and it looked pretty good, but I'll check it when I get home, cause it's had time to settle and we'll see how it looks.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to drain and refill again...:-(  Next time they come, the tub is OFF LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!   >:(

There is a bright side to all this...

Those two kids have probably never been cleaner!  ;D

georgiapeach

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 12:15:45 pm »

There is a bright side to all this...

Those two kids have probably never been cleaner!  ;D

LMAO...yea and probably never will be again!  I think most of it came from my nephew...The more I think about it, the closer I'm coming to draining and refilling this weekend....just can't get that gross stuff around the tub out of my mind, even though the tub looks pretty now....still....Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww...

georgiapeach

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 12:17:37 pm »
OMG....sorry to hear Georgia!!!

Yeah I would say that they are permanently BANNED from your Spa....No Ifs Ands or Buttttttts!!!!

Good luck in getting it back to its prisinte condition again!

Regards,

Thanks Guttboy!  Thank god they rarely visit....in less than 24 hours, I was so stressed out....I guess I'm just used to peace and quiet around the house and that was definitely not the situation this weekend!  

Westchester

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 01:11:57 pm »
This discussion reality struck a chord with me.  I am about to order my first spa (probably either Hot Spring or Caldera) and I‘ve been getting a lot of good info from this forum.  Thanks everyone!

I have a 7-yr. old girl & a 13-yr. old boy, with lots of neighborhood kids that come over & play in my backyard.  I kinda shudder to think what they would be bringing into the hot tub and I really can’t see banning kids because my daughter loves being in a hot tub.  I was thinking of keeping a bucket of water for foot rinsing.  Am I being silly?

Would anyone comment on your “rules of the house” for kids (or adults for that matter)?
I would appreciate your comments.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 01:11:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42