What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cash, Check, or Charge...Dealers ? ? ?  (Read 2984 times)

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Cash, Check, or Charge...Dealers ? ? ?
« on: March 19, 2005, 11:58:01 pm »
Hi all!!!!

Just a question for you all Dealers that is....or folks who have experience with this....

Would you be willing to come down on the price if the customer paid by Check or Cash/Money Order???

Thanks,

:)

Hot Tub Forum

Cash, Check, or Charge...Dealers ? ? ?
« on: March 19, 2005, 11:58:01 pm »

poolboy34

Re: Cash, Check, or Charge...Dealers ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 12:39:48 am »
we don't.  Cash, credit, check......makes no difference, price is price.  Having a set price, as well as a package price helps make it fair for everyone.  It muight be different for those dealers who only sell spas.  We sell above and in-ground pools, In-ground replacement liners, safety coverspatio furniture, spa and pool accessories, spa and pool care products, do water analysis, and we have a full service dept.  It might also depend on how much business a dealer does too.  also should be noted that the number of cash sales these deals is very few when compared to the number of credit card and debit card transactions

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 07:38:23 am »
As a consumer, I would say pay for it by credit card ... just in case. If for any reason you don't get the spa or it comes to you damaged and the dealer won't do anything then you may have a recourse through the card.

I would consider it a little safety net and the 3% you might get from the dealer for paying cash would be worth it.

Just my opinion.

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 08:40:39 am »
Vinny,

I would think that the dealer's here (so far that I have seen) are very reputable.  I am not sure how paying with the CC would give us more leverage.....I guess I could just refute the charge is that what you are getting at?  Never really thought of that before.

On the other hand,  all our vehicles, major purchases (appliances), etc we pay in cash and have had great successes in leaving more in our pocket.

If you are talking a 10000 spa...2-3% would be 2-300 bucks that I could spend on rubber duckies for the tub..... ;D

I will keep what you said in mind Vinny!

Regards,

Mike :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 09:02:47 am »
Mike,

I once dealt with a retailer via a 800 number that claimed to ship me a product, I never received it and they charged my credit card. I tried to work with them and got nowhere so I called the credit card company and had them resolve the issue - either give me the merchandise or refund the money. They refunded the money.

I agree that $300 in your pocket is better than theirs and I believe you that the dealers are reputable but I'm a New Yorker and we don't trust anybody! ;D

I'm sure if you pay cash you won't have a problem - keep in mind that most cards charge 3% to the retailer and I think American Express charges 4%.

Vinny

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 09:34:54 am »
I pay 1.65% discount rate on card purchases. If I don't have the card in my hand, it jumps to over 3% - so I invested in a portable credit card machine to send out with the delivery crew. Every once in a while the cardholder is not there when we deliver - they have to come into the store with their credit card in hand to finish the transaction.

We paid well over $12,000 in credit card fees last year alone. I wish some of these companies would give me miles!

:(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 10:05:23 am »
First off, it is a breech of contract (contract with the CC company) for any retailer to offer a discount for cash or cheque.

It is one of those rules that is seldom enforced. We do offer a 2% discount. We offer an additional 1% if the customer pays up front on a custom order. This is because we get an additional discount for paying up front on an order.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 03:01:36 pm »
ALWAYS pay by credit card, if possible, for a major purchase like a hot tub.  You won't be sorry if you do, but you might be sorry if you don't.  Take this from someone who is getting a new tub replaced ONLY because she paid originally by credit card.

Elle

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 04:03:13 pm »
Reputable dealers? I cannot deal with the dealers that are on this board. They won't sell to me. None of them are my area, state, and some out of the country.

If there is no price break, why not use plastic?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 04:27:45 pm »
Interestingly enough, we didn't allow full payment by CC. As Chas mentioned, the cost can certainly add up over the period of a year and to be honest, it was rarely a problem. This also eliminated the 2 or 3 % discount conversation. We would take up to $1500 on CC with final payment by check or financing options.

The number Chas mentioned was also very conservative. We sold over 350 spas per year and at an average of $7500 per spa, 2% could easily equate to over $50,000 annually. A "cost of doing business" we chose not to accept.

Steve

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 09:47:13 pm »
that policy seems to vary. i just put the $8100 for my new niagra on a CC and had no problem, but when i bought a new conversion van last fall, the car dealer told me they limit CC pament to $3k, so i had to write a check for the down payment.
i would agree though, if you can use CC you should..... not only is it peace of mind, we use ours for almost everything, but you get the perks and rewards....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:48:33 pm by kent »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 10:00:46 pm »
That is not in keeping with the car dealer's contract. Most likely, if you really want to buy a car on a card, you can do it by calling the card company and verifiying that the dealer should not be limiting the purchase price - or they risk losing the opportunity to process cards at all.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 06:53:38 am »
Reality struck this morning!

Get a card with cash back rewards - I have one that gives you 1% back on all your purchases. That'll be $71 for my tub, I received a promotion for another card for the first 60 (?) days I would get back 3% on all purchases (not going for it).

I totally forgot about my cash back card!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 06:53:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42