What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Read and be wise!  (Read 3915 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Read and be wise!
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:33:49 am »
Not because I have any wisdom to give, but just experience. We've had several typical questions lately 110/220, effervence, foam, and water changes so, her I am up early sharing my experience with you.

Today is the 2 year anniversary of our tub, so I decided to give it new water. I last filled it Nov1.  I've done one partial dump in mid jan when we had a thaw.  I started draining it last night at 11 when we got out, using only its supplied drain.  Got up this morning near 9, and there was still about a foot of water left.  A 5 gallon, then a 1 gallon bucket had the rest out in 5 minutes. Two new filters in, the tub wiped down and a towell removing the sediment and little bit of water left in the bottom. I started to refill.  Word to the wise before you start to refill, put the cap back on the drain. I found I can fill the tub faster with two hoses that the drain can take it away.  (Add 15 minutes to the refill time :)) When the tub is half full I added about 1/8 the normal chlorine I usually do. (Doesn't have to be that high for the first soak. When the tub was full I added about 2 ounces of baking soda as I know with that my ph and alkalinity will be perfect when I test it.   Applied power, and we have a new low!  44 degrees! at 1030am!  Hopefully I will be soaking by about 11pm tonight.  IF you have any problem with inflammation, come get in my tub now!  I'll be busy today and will check it occasionally.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Read and be wise!
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:33:49 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Read and be wise!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 10:44:27 am »
Word to the wise before you start to refill, put the cap back on the drain. I found I can fill the tub faster with two hoses that the drain can take it away.

Bill,

Every so often you DO need to flush that drain opening with fresh water in my experience (which is none) - LOL ;D

Vinny

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 03:33:36 pm »
64 at 3:30 so it has only come up 20 degrees in 6 hours. But once it gets above 60 it seems to go about 5 degrees and hours, so I expect to be soaking at 104 around 11 tonight.

FWLIW
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:34:47 pm »

Bill,

Every so often you DO need to flush that drain opening with fresh water in my experience (which is none) - LOL ;D

Vinny

Not to diminish my own stupidity, but how about a great feature that would cost the manufacturer about a penny a tub.  You know, those things like on your gas caps that prvent you from losing them.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:26:19 pm »

Not to diminish my own stupidity, but how about a great feature that would cost the manufacturer about a penny a tub.  You know, those things like on your gas caps that prvent you from losing them.

You got me worried now - you mean their not attached, heck whenever I do projects I'll put something down and can't find it for a while. I'm sure once I get the tub I'll be giving all of you chuckles out of my stupidity!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 06:30:17 pm »
Word to the wise before you start to refill, put the cap back on the drain.

Id like to take a moment to point out to all the do-it-yourself people out there that these "words of wisdom" from Bill relate to draining and refilling the oil in your automobile as well!! ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 10:24:14 pm »

Id like to take a moment to point out to all the do-it-yourself people out there that these "words of wisdom" from Bill relate to draining and refilling the oil in your automobile as well!! ;D

;D lol  ;D
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 09:44:07 am »

Except I'm not so sure the part about the garden hoses applies...

I have left the drain cap off of spas in the showroom floor before. The first time it happened (over 14 years ago now) the spa was sitting up on a deck a few inched above the slab in the back 'mood room' area. So I didn't see the water draining out until the lady from the suntan salon next door came over screaming. Went right under the wall into her store and soaked the carpet.

It happened again recently, but I was right there with the cap in my hand trying to get bent down (I'm a slow bender)  to put it in place just as the water started to flow out - small wet spot on the carpet that time.

HotSpring ships tubs with the caps off - so that any extra water can drain out onto the shoes of the delivery crew or the carpet of the showroom floor. . .
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 09:20:06 pm »
Its great to be in fresh water again!  It took about 15 hours to come up the full 60 degrees, so that averages out to 4 degrees per hour.  44 was my coldest starting temp so far.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 09:20:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42