What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: effervescence  (Read 4705 times)

txwillie

effervescence
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:54:50 am »
Is it normal for the water to be really cloudy with the pumps on high and air induction on? My tub looks like a glass with alka seltzer in it with everything going, but is crystal clear within a minute or so after everything shuts off and the little bubbles dissipate.

Just wondering.

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

effervescence
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:54:50 am »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: effervescence
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:59:44 am »
It is called turbidity and it is unusually caused by the total dissolved solids (TSD) being too high. It is a good sign to do a drain.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:06:24 pm »
It is called turbidity and it is unusually caused by the total dissolved solids (TSD) being too high. It is a good sign to do a drain.

Gary

Gary is dead on. After about 3 months (currently) my water does the same. I might get good enough weather to change it .
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 01:56:19 am »
It's like your water feels heavy when you're in your tub.

And the first soak with fresh water, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Spahappy :D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:06:11 am »
It's like your water feels heavy when you're in your tub.

And the first soak with fresh water, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Spahappy :D

Your right about noticing the difference when you change. However, I don't have to wonder why I waited. This winter weather has been the main reason. I start draining tonight after our soak and clean and refill in the morning
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

steve771

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:36 am »
Now wait a sec...  There has to be some "cloudiness" when the bubbles are passing thru the water.  That's just what happens.  I suppose there could be an excess at some point though.  Are you guys telling me that you have crystal clear water even when your jets are on?  ???

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:55:37 am »
Now wait a sec...  There has to be some "cloudiness" when the bubbles are passing thru the water.  That's just what happens.  I suppose there could be an excess at some point though.  Are you guys telling me that you have crystal clear water even when your jets are on?  ???

You are right, to an extent.  With fresh water, and the jets on it is less clear, but its a major difference between how it looks with new water vs 3 month old water.  And there is a huge difference in how long it takes to clear again once the jets are turned off. With new water its almost instantaneous, and with old water it can take a minute or two and you definitely notice the lack of effervesence as TX noted.  The next time you change water, take real notice of this before and after you change. It will help give you a better idea of when you need to change.  Once you get good with chem maintenance and you don't have scum, foam, or santitation problems, this is the easiest thing to look for.

steve771

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 06:08:54 pm »
Oh great... I thought I had just figured out the chemical balance/scum/foam/sanitation and now you throw the effervesence into the mix!  ;) ;D

Does this hot tub challenge never end? ! ?   ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 06:09:36 pm by steve771 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 06:08:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42