What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can I get a decent spa for ~$4k  (Read 4812 times)

Brookenstein

Can I get a decent spa for ~$4k
« on: March 16, 2005, 12:57:19 am »
I have just started my spa search.  I've spent a few weeks reading boards and trying to educate myself.  I know who the main top brands are, but they also seem to come with a price.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to find something in that price range that is still a quality spa.  We don't need a Merecedes, more like a Honda Civic.  I'm just not sure if that is possible in our price range.

Also, I looked at a Caldera Martinique (04 floor model) and could get it for $5100 including delivery, steps, cover lifter, but not tax.  Is it worth going over my budget for it or can I find something comprable in the 4k range.

My husband won't, but my 5yr old and I will wet test when we find something in our price range.

Any advice appreciated.  BTW, I'm in SoCal if that matters.  Thanks again.

Brooke

Hot Tub Forum

Can I get a decent spa for ~$4k
« on: March 16, 2005, 12:57:19 am »

rgreiner

• forever tubbin
Re: Can I get a decent spa for ~$4k
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 01:14:06 am »
That is a very good price for that spa! If you can get it, I'd take it in a minute!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 06:46:21 am »
Brooke,

I ended up wet testing without my hubby, so I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Caldera is a great brand!  For me, it was better to go a bit above my budget and get the tub I truly loved, than save a few bucks!!!

Good luck!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

tlc

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 08:40:51 am »
I too went thru this recently, I had a very hard time with a 9 and 10 K price tag! I looked at hot springs, tiger river and bullfrog, I actually bought the bullfrog against most recommendations bought a 6 person tub, actually will easily fit 8 . approx 450 gallons. paid only $6300. They have smaller ones also. I would wet test this brand if you can. Make sure you get a 2 pump tub. Jets are really powerful! We love ours!!  Don't get wrapped up in sales people wet test and check your warranty!!
Tlc

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:45:49 am »
brooke,

I understand that there is a budget for the spa purchase. Remember one thing, you will own the spa for a long, long time, it might be better to spend a little more upfront to get the spa of your dreams.
good luck,

hottubber... ;D

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:14:38 am »
Nordic Spas are a great value, you get a high quality spa at a very affordable price.  Many of their models will fit your price range!!!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 12:00:51 pm »
I know some people don't like buying used, but if I could have done it paying cash (not financing) I definitely would have looked at a used

Hot Springs
Tiger River
Sundance
Dimension One
Marquis

(Jacuzzi is brand new here)

For example, a person is selling a Marquis SA Reward for $ 8K canadian as they won it in a draw.  This tub sells for $ 12K brand new and they say it's never been used.  Also, as I was looking (this killed me that I couldn't snap it up) a guy was sellling his 2 year old HS Grandee for $ 5500 Canadian which is less than half of what it would sell for brand new.  These are just 2 examples.  

Either at your dealer or through a "bargain finder" type of publication.  If you're worried about delivery, find out where the tub was purchased and ask the dealer what they'd charge.  I'm sure they'd be  interested as you'll probably end up buying chemicals from them.

Trust me, this is a great route.  You can get the tub you really want and stay in your budget.

Good luck.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 12:01:48 pm by golferm »

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 02:02:06 pm »
I agree with the others here who say maybe you should spend a little more. Think about this, your spa should last you 7-8 years or more. Even if you spend $1,500 more that comes out to only $187.50 per year or $15.62 more  per month. I realize you have a budget but you should think in those terms. Maybe consider getting a home equity loan to finance it. When I bought my house(new construction) I was trying to keep within a budget. I turned down adding the 3rd car garage because I didn't want to spend another 7,500. Now I regret it! Best of Luck!

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 02:16:11 pm »
My problem is we really don't have any money for a spa, but my body is hurting and I think this will help as much or more than the chiropractor is.  This will go on credit, and my husbands online poker hobby will be responsible for paying for it.   ;D

I had looked at spas at the LA County fair 2 summers ago and my memory could be faulty, but I thought I could find something around $3500.  Well, when I started looking again mid 6's seemed like the norm.  My mom swears she paid $3700 on a Sundance last year (she's in OR), so then I began to think maybe my 4k budget was doable and I was just looking at spendy dealers or all high end spas.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 02:23:20 pm »
Instead of buying a pool, the wife and I decided to join a pool club down the road.  

But we did have the money for a hot tub. If you find a good tub, let the hubby play a few extra hands of texas hold'em and until then, find a nearby gym or club with a hot tub and see if that helps with the aches and pains. Depending on membership prices, it might be an economical way to get some therapy while saving the $$ for a tub.

You don't want to be in the situation of buying a $4k or more tub, but having it not be the model you wanted, and then finding out that it didn't help your specific aches and pains!

-Ed

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 02:23:33 pm »
Another Nordic vote in that price range. Also in that range but wonder about the service are those from Sam's or Costco. They are usually Hydro Spa I think. Not sure about service for them.  Have not read any hate mail from unhappy Hydro Spa owners. Just big retailers really don't like them.

The big boys have some decent small tubs that are probably in the price range and they are 2-3 man units.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 02:32:34 pm »
You can find a spa from Hot Springs... Marquis....D-1.....Sundance...they all make lines that are still quality but with less bells and whistles than what you might say is on  their premiere line ... somewhat like a Toyota and a Lexus many of the same parts are used on both...

Brookenstein

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 06:23:20 pm »
The same place that offered me the 04 floor model Caldera Martinique for $5100, has a Cumberland for $3895 and a Cascade for $2995.  Both of them are 04's.  They were employee owned and are sold as used with a 1 yr warranty.  Any thoughts on either of these?  I may go check out Marquis spas tomorrow, but not sure f they would have anything in my price range.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 07:56:07 pm »
If you have an Artesian dealer near you, see if they carry the Promo class. The dealer I went to had 4 of the Artesian lines at her showroom and I believe the Promo class is in the $3,000 to $5000 range. Not all dealers carry Artesian's lower line, but it doesn't hurt to check!

boxer95

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 08:31:25 pm »
I just bought a caldera Martinque for 6,100.00 I love it. I say that price is awesome for the caldera!!! you will love it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 08:31:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42