What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: AquaFlow vs. G.E. vs. A.O. Smith vs.........  (Read 5088 times)

fatman

AquaFlow vs. G.E. vs. A.O. Smith vs.........
« on: March 12, 2005, 05:00:06 pm »
Any dealers or consumers have any idea which company makes the best pump? I spoke with a Marquis dealer today and he said for reasons unknown to him, G.E. started making their pumps with less copper but Marquis switched to AquaFlow anyway. He didn't state specifically but thought the contract had probably expired with G.E.  I know Coleman uses A.O. Smith motors and their tubs are very quiet.  56 frame motors seem to get lots of mention by any dealer I talk to but overall I do not know which company makes the best motor.

Hot Tub Forum

AquaFlow vs. G.E. vs. A.O. Smith vs.........
« on: March 12, 2005, 05:00:06 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: AquaFlow vs. G.E. vs. A.O. Smith vs.........
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 05:56:43 pm »
Doesn't really matter. If you buy a new tub, the tub maker covers the motors for whatever their warranty is.

For a HotSpring, that is five years.

I have been around these things long enough to know: the motor make doesn't matter. You will get a good service out of just about any motor, and with AO Smith's recent purchase of Magnatech/Century there are really only three brands in the industry now anyway.

Besides, the pump maker usually picks the motor, not the tub maker.

As long as this has come up - I would love to know why folks are convinced that a 56 frame motor is more energy efficient than a 48 frame.

???

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 12:28:56 am »
As long as this has come up - I would love to know why folks are convinced that a 56 frame motor is more energy efficient than a 48 frame.

???

Chas,

I do not know about them being more energy efficient but they will dissipate heat better and should run cooler ....since heat is something that does shorten a motors life they should last longer...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:49:37 am »

Chas,

I do not know about them being more energy efficient but they will dissipate heat better and should run cooler ....since heat is something that does shorten a motors life they should last longer...

Well, I've heard that a bit as well, but I have no support for it.  Both motors have vents and fans, specified and designed by the motor maker, which move the appropriate amount of air through the motor to keep them from overheating. I guess what I'm saying is simply this:

Put two motors in the same situation, and run the exact same amount of wattage through them, and they will both operate within the design parameters of the motor maker. If either one overheats or runs hotter than the other, it would indicate a problem with the individual motor in question, not the design of either one.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:04:43 am »
Chas,

Unfortunately that is from what I know not accurate.....the larger motor simply runs cooler as it can dissipate heat better, that is not to say that 48 frame will not run within the manufacture tolerances ...just that in the same environment the 56 will, by its ability to dissipate heat better simply runs cooler ....how much of a difference in the life of the motor ..that I do not really know nor would I even guess at it...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 01:07:14 am by Mendocino101 »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 01:09:58 am »
Just to add as an example in racing some engines are machined with added ridges in internal parts to help provide more of a surface to again dissipate heat ....

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 10:09:36 am »
I think people feel that 56 frame motors are better because a certain unmentionable spa builder from another sight says so.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 12:07:29 pm »
Any dealers or consumers have any idea which company makes the best pump? I spoke with a Marquis dealer today and he said for reasons unknown to him, G.E. started making their pumps with less copper but Marquis switched to AquaFlow anyway. He didn't state specifically but thought the contract had probably expired with G.E.  I know Coleman uses A.O. Smith motors and their tubs are very quiet.  56 frame motors seem to get lots of mention by any dealer I talk to but overall I do not know which company makes the best motor.

Coleman uses StaRite pumps that feature AO Smith motors. AquaFlow pumps also use AO Smith motors. WaterWay, Pentair and Hayward all use AO Smith motors. It gets confusing, but when most refer to a pump they are referring to the pump&motor as neither is much good to you without the other, at least on a hot tub.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 02:55:25 pm »
I have one word for G.E. but I am not allowed to post profanity here.

G.E. motors do make good boat anchors.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 05:11:46 pm »

Chas,

The more copper you have in an electric motor the more efficient it will be. A 56F motor has more coper than a 48F. But motor technology has increased and there are some very good and efficient 48F motor out there.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 05:11:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42