What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: question regarding chemicals.  (Read 2684 times)

boxer95

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
question regarding chemicals.
« on: March 15, 2005, 08:18:22 am »
Hello I am loving my caldera spa, its awesome... I have the martinque.. great spa.

it's so easy to maintain the chemcials, its been up and running for a month now and they water is beatiful.

the dealer reccomened I add a shock treatment each week. is this necessary? the water is perfect. with my previous tub, a coleman, I only added the shock treatment when the water was yucky. this one I am supposed to add regardless? that seems odd to me. could anyone advice? I am using chlorine,  and scale remover weekly. the chlorine I add each time I use the tub.

thanks so much!

Hot Tub Forum

question regarding chemicals.
« on: March 15, 2005, 08:18:22 am »

salesdvl

Re: question regarding chemicals.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 08:55:29 am »
Your dealers suggestion of adding shock once a week is meant to be a precaution against anything happening.  It will give the water a good zap and make it easier to maintain.  I wont bore you with the micro reasons to do it.
Neccessary: no....  Good idea: yes.
Measure once, cut twice.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:55:49 am »
If you are shocking once a week and you are measuring what is happening you will notice that after shock your total chlorine value is closer to your free chlorine value.  What happens without shock is that the free chlorine gets combined with amines and the the resultant chloramine is not an effective sanitizer.  Also it is the chloramines that give off the chlorine smell.  Shocking gets rid of chloramines, well it minimizes them.

Also, after shocking you should check Ph as it could drop.  You might need to adjust either total alkalinity or Ph or both after shocking.  Chlorine is actually more effective with lower Ph, but if Ph falls much below 7.2 or so it could result in pump seal failures, or heater corrosion and so on.

Regards,

Bill

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:01:36 am »
with my previous tub, a coleman, I only added the shock treatment when the water was yucky. this one I am supposed to add regardless?

I always try to get people to care for their tub in a PROACTIVE manner rather than a REACTIVE one. Why wait until the water has turned on you?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:05:04 am »
Yep, kinda like waiting until your oil light comes on before checking your oil. I don't recommend that either! ;D

Steve

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 03:06:36 pm »
Clear water does not mean you have good balance water. Battery acid is very clear but I would not recommend sitting in it.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 03:41:14 pm »
[glb]HEY...THAT'S MY LINE!![/glb] ;)

zzaphod42

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 04:50:01 pm »
Good advice Gary!

I always wondered where you stole that line from Steve. ;D ;D ;D

;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 04:50:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42