What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi 345 vs Coleman 471  (Read 6211 times)

owenst

Jacuzzi 345 vs Coleman 471
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:39:49 pm »
Please help!! We have made a deposit on a Jacuzzi 345 and while attending a recent Home and Garden show we found a Coleman 471 that we were really impressed with. The Coleman is only about $200 higher.  Which would be the best decision???

Thank You,
OwensT

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi 345 vs Coleman 471
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:39:49 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Jacuzzi 345 vs Coleman 471
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:44:58 pm »
Have you wet tested the Jacuzzi?

I am assuming (I know, big mistake) that you haven't wet tested the Coleman?

Get in them wet!  $200 is not much money, when comfort is at stake!!!

WET TEST!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Greenraisin

• See you down life's highway!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 10:10:59 pm »
I agree with Lori. I tested both of the ones you are looking at and liked them, but also tested several others, including the Caldera Tahitian Utopea and that's what we went with. Dealer had a lot to do with it, but the Caldera just "fit" us better. Liked the others, too, but went with what fit best. Check them out and whichever one trips your trigger the most is the one to go with!

It's your trigger and your money!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:17 pm »
As a Jacuzzi owner, thought I should chime in  here.  I haven't really had much experience with Coleman (seen them once in a very unfriendly showroom), so all I will talk about is Jacuzzi.  

Pro's - great jetting - the air injectors are brilliant - allows for a water only or water / air mix

Good variety of seats - not barrier free, but still good seating options

Foot Blaster Jets - great - use them almost every time in the tub, and sometimes they're the only jets I use

Looks - great synthetic skirt (coastal gray) and sahara interior

Filtering - cool filter compartment

Manufacturer - now that Sundance and Jacuzzi are sister companies, I felt very confident in the quality of the tub.  

Con's

Filter compartment - yes its a pro and con, as most filter compartment tops can double as a cup holder (eg. Beachcomber).  While Jacuzzi's looks cool, it doesn't have weir door either (which is a Hot Springs feature amongst other manufacturers)

Jet noise - somewhat noisy jets - however you get the plus of a great massage

Warranty - doesn't have quite the warranty of Sundance or Hot Springs but I didn't pay as much either

Good luck, and above all, wet test and get to know the dealer - ask for referrals from other customers who they've dealt with .

MArk

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 11:10:43 pm »
Cannot go wrong with jacuzzi.......But maybe you should get a J-355 - J-385 at least they have a few Sundance features in them.When you get a J-345 and lower you are likely getting a Sweetwater spa with sweetwater parts and control panel.Jt :o

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 09:35:24 am »
Owenst;

Just curious, the 471 you looked at, is it a Standard, Deluxe or Premium? Also are you comparing two '04's or two '05's or ....

Some pro's on Coleman:
Well engineered hydrotherapy-the comnfort collar seats and the lounge are what I would clasify as "hot seats" with a great jet count and good variety of jet size. The seats are doctor engineered to provide hydrotherapy to zones that pysiotherapists deal with on a regular basis.
One innovation they came up with is the FOot Releif Zone in the lounge that provides massage to the top and bottom of the feet.

Warranty- 5 years on all pumps, plumbing, electronics, jets, heater. Lifetime on the frame (for what its worth). 10/7 on the fiberglass/acrylic.

Energy efficiency- recognized by most here as a leader in thermalpane (they call it Thermo-Lock) insulation method. 56 frame motors are used instead of the less efficient 48 frame.

Reliability- Although they have a great warranty, we need to employ it less than any brand that I have sold.

Comfort Collar - Neck massage is tough to get on a lot of spas. The 471 has two seats with comfort collars to provide excellent neck/shoulder therapy to two different heights.

Quiet Operation Colemans are the quiestest tubs I have encountered when the pumps are on high speed. In my showroom, you cannot hear the dual 2.5/4.8bHP pumps on high. The sound of the water in the spa actually drowns out the pumps.

If spahappy was not at a show this week she could compare/contrast for you as she sells both.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 11:41:15 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 11:05:58 am »
Cannot go wrong with jacuzzi.......But maybe you should get a J-355 - J-385 at least they have a few Sundance features in them.When you get a J-345 and lower you are likely getting a Sweetwater spa with sweetwater parts and control panel.Jt :o

From my understanding, and looking at both Sweetwater and Jacuzzi before I bought, the Jacuzzi has the power pro jets and air injectors which Sweetwater doesn't.  I think the only thing you're getting by going to the 355-385 is the nicer control panel.

Also, you'll have a big decision to make with regards to a full foam spa vs. Thermopane.  I couldn't even tell you (and wouldn't want to start this again) the differences, but do your own research and listen to the pitches, and you'll get a feel for what you're comfortable with.

My 2 cents...

Mark

Mike134

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 04:46:12 pm »
I wet tested a 355 and kept kicking off the filter cover when in the lounge seat My new 345 is being delivered in 2 weeks  :-)

Mike

owenst

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 10:31:38 pm »
Thank You for all replies.  Please keep all pros and cons coming.  We will be testing a Jacuzzi next week, not the exact model we are looking at but a 365 I think.  It is the only one in the show room with water.  The dealer said it is about the same just a little larger. We are also wet testing the Coleman Deluxe 471 next week.
We are trying to get the best deal for the money but want a spa with a good reputation and warranty.
Thanks again,
OwensT.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 09:14:32 am »
owenst,

Definately wet test the spa that you are thinking about purchasing. If the Jacuzzi dealer wants to EARN your business, he or she WILL make the neccessary arrangements to fire up the spa YOU may want to buy from HIM or HER. ;)
I know I would do it, it may take an extra day, but isn't that what the dealers are supposed to do, take care of the customer. In this case it may seal the deal.

good luck in your decision...

hottubber... ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 09:15:09 am by hottubber »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 09:58:28 am »
Energy efficiency- 56 frame motors are used instead of the less efficient 48 frame.
I hear this all the time. I haven't found it to be true though. There are energy efficient 48 frame motors, and there are non-energy efficient 56 frame motors out there. The 48 frame motors are more compact, easier to build around, and have the same type of fan-forced cooling system as found on the 56 frame motor. Only a direct comparison of the rating plates will reveal which is more or less efficient - and frankly I doubt that any major manufacturer is going to ship tubs with some sort of "energy-hog" motors on board.

The efficiency of a motor is the ratio of mechanical output to electrical input. It represents the effectiveness with which the motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. NEMA has set up codes which correlate to specific nominal efficiencies. Both 48 frame and 56 frame motors may have the same NEMA efficiency codes, and often do.

As to longevity: I have sold spas with both types of motors, and a few other types of motors as well. They all last the same length of time: basically as long as you own the tub and as long as the pump doesn't put water into the motor.

I worked in a motor shop for a summer, as a young man. The windings on both of these motors may very well be the same - as in - same amount of copper. The shaft and bearings are smaller on the 48 frame, and that makes for a great selling point. But spa motors just don't have frequent bearing or shaft problems regardless of frame type, so it's really nothing more than a selling story.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 09:58:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42