What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Granite vs. Marble  (Read 4755 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Granite vs. Marble
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:52:18 pm »
Well!  Heh-heh  :D,

That leads to ANOTHER question  :o.  What are the pros and cons of granite (textured) vs. marble (smooth) finishes?

Common sense tells me that the smooth surface would be more slippery and probably show dirt more BUT easier to keep clean?

From the tubs I've seen, I really think the lights are so much prettier on the smooth surfaces.
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

Granite vs. Marble
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:52:18 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Granite vs. Marble
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 01:56:06 pm »
The lights are better on the lighter colored surfaces ...the granite style will show less wear and tear over the years ..both are fine..for us many of our customers who have children opt for the granite .....

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 01:56:50 pm »
I have a pearl finish (smooth) and do not find it any more slippery than the granite finish.

I haven't had any issues with my surface, I love it, the light reflects nicely and still looks brand new!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 01:58:32 pm »
good question ??? ??? ???....

Most consumers feel that if the surface is shiny, or marblized, it would be slippery. Not True, if your water chemistry is proper, both surfaces will be non slippery. If you don't take care of water chemistry, they will both be slippery.

Cast acrylic has been around since the late 70's, it is marble finish and smooth, the shiny one. Quarite or textured acrylic is relatively new, 1988. Both surfaces will react the same in similar water conditions. I do agree on one thing; DARK cast acrylic shells tend to show scratches more... ;D
I love the Silver Marble or Platinum Marble color, the water glistens in it... ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:02:17 pm by hottubber »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 02:03:02 pm »
When this topic has come in the past, I echoed Lori's comments above. These tubs are filled with water. Water makes things slippery.

That said many here took exception to my statement.

Mendo hit the nail on the head regarding colour/lighting and granite and children.

One thing I would add is that I do find calcium water marks show more on smooth finishes. The darker the finish the greater the contrast. On a white pearl or silvery type finish the calcium marks are not very obvious. I have had customers who loved darker smooth finishes (blues, greys, blacks)in the showroom only to find that they are constantly removing the unsightly water marks.

Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 02:16:19 pm »
I have a pearl finish (smooth) and do not find it any more slippery than the granite finish.

I think this is a function of water quality to some extent. If you go in most dealers who have water in thier tubs and put runs your hands on the surface below the water line I think you will see what I mean.  I have a granite type surface. Why? Because the wife wanted it. (Wait, I forgot she is in this forum now,  make that because my lovely life wanted it and I do what I can to please her.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 02:17:33 pm »
good question ??? ??? ???....

. Not True, if your water chemistry is proper, both surfaces will be non slippery. If you don't take care of water chemistry, they will both be slippery.

Well said, had I read your post firsts, I would have had to add my 3 cents
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:36:26 pm »
the topic Smooth or pebble type finish covered this pretty well.

if you have common sense, listen to it
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:38:33 pm by empolgation »
e

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
;DRe: Granite vs. Marble
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 02:47:20 pm »
Slippery surfaces...,

This morning, going into my marble-ized spa, I slipped on the ice before I got into my non slippery spa. I could have broke my neck had I not non slipped in the spa.

try that on for size ;D

hottubber... ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:47:41 pm by hottubber »

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 02:49:32 pm »
But is one easier to clean than the other?

You could squeegee a smooth surface . . .
'06 Majesta

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 02:59:07 pm »
But is one easier to clean than the other?

You could squeegee a smooth surface . . .

If you have a scum problem the textured surface may be slightly harder to clean. (not much, but I haven't had that problem since my spa was a couple months old.)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 04:24:02 pm »
The smooth surface is not slippery if the chemical levels are properly maintained. It is very slippery if it gets a little slime or algae growth on it.

The pebble finish, on the other hand, is not slippery if the chemical levels are properly maintained. It is very slippery if it gets a little slime or algae growth on it.

Keep in mind that I have sold textured "Rovel" / "Endurol" tubs for two decades now, and we have just brought the Acrylics in five or six years ago. There was some resistance on the part of dealers, myself included. And my fist shiny spa got amazingly slippery. Until I got the chems in line. Then it was fine.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mhraracing

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 07:45:43 pm »
As stated - the lights show better on light/smooth finishes.....and they are also smoother on your 'bottom' - in your birthday suit.  :o
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 07:45:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42