What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Euphoria First Fill  (Read 2292 times)

spanewbe

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Euphoria First Fill
« on: March 09, 2005, 08:12:48 am »
Electician was here yesterday and spa is now ready for water.  Any tips or insights as to things to do prior to or as part of the first fill?  Between a board search and dealer advice, I know the following:

- open all in-line valves in plumbing system
- use plain hose water, not soft water
- unscrew filter and insert hose into filter opening to fill plumbing first
- shock when tub is full
- turn on power only after tub is full

How much shock is recommended initially?

Is is likely that I will need to add chemicals other than shock to balance the new water?

Should I clean the shell with anything special before filling?

Should I plan on draining and refilling after one month regardless of apparent water clarity?

Hot Tub Forum

Euphoria First Fill
« on: March 09, 2005, 08:12:48 am »

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
Re: Euphoria First Fill
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
Here we go...

Those on the board may not agree completely, but I always wait until the water heats up to at least 80 degrees before I put any chemicals in the spa.

Once your spa is filled to the proper water level;

Hold off on putting in your spa frog cartridges at this time.

Test and adjust your total alkalinity and calcium hardness first.

Once adjusted, add 8 ounces of a mineral sequestering agent, usually in a liquid form. (I use Metal-X)

Then 2 ounces of DiChlor shock, a granular material,  directly into the water while spa is circulating.

Wait an hour, then install your spa frog Bromine and Mineral cartridges. (adjust the flow dial on the cartridges according to the manufacturers specs.)

That is my rendition of start up...

Having used spas for a long time, I really don't go according to the exact measurements, but as a newbe, you'll want to.

Good Luck... ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:13:01 am »
- turn on power only after tub is full

If anyone doesn't understand why, ask me, I learned the hard way.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:42:57 am »
Follow Hot tuber's advice and you should be fine...the thing we do different is add 2 teaspoons of Dichlor about an hour after adding the shock and we wait until the spa is up to full temp to add the frog....both would do fine....

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:37:10 pm »
Regarding the question about draining and filling after the first month, no matter the water clarity--

It is Chas' Law.

It will really help.  My water was clear, and in the proper ranges, but I don't think I would have had as many issues with foam.  Mind you, it wasn't that bad, but it probably would have been a lot better.  I didn't have the issues with the second fill.

Also, you will get a chance to remember what that fresh water feels like!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:40:40 pm »

If anyone doesn't understand why, ask me, I learned the hard way.

OK... Why?  I always turn on the power once the water is above the filter so I can get the heater going.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 01:20:03 pm »

OK... Why?  I always turn on the power once the water is above the filter so I can get the heater going.

Thats close enough to fill. The problem arises if you turn the power on before the skimmer is submersed.

I had one customer install themselves, they had to have it next day and we were booked, turned on the power once the footwell was full (1' below the skimmer) and the strangest thing happanned.......he burned out the primary pump......odd  ;) $600 later, his tub was like new.

This is more for the fella's: If you are going to install it yourself, read the manual.
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 01:20:37 pm »
Follow Hot tuber's advice and you should be fine...the thing we do different is add 2 teaspoons of Dichlor about an hour after adding the shock and we wait until the spa is up to full temp to add the frog....both would do fine....

Mendo,
Why add another 2 teaspoons of dichlor after adding 2 oz. (4 tbsp.) of dichlor as hotubber suggested?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 01:20:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42