What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My search continues  (Read 3249 times)

drprwnap

My search continues
« on: March 05, 2005, 08:49:31 pm »
Hi gang,

Visited the local D1 dealer today and came away very impressed. Looked mainly at the Chariman II.  He also had a Lotus Bay that was dry because it had just been sold. That tub was great but too big for what we need. Anyway the Chairman was very nice with lots of features that both my wife a I liked. The salesman was good, answering our quiestions, and no hard sell.  The one thing he told us that made sense was to narrow our search down to about 3 or 4 different brands so we don't go crazy looking. From my time looking on- line, this seems to make sense.  We have looked at HS, Sundance, Jacuzzi, and D1 so far. The only other brand  I plan to look at is Marquis.  That dealer won't have any new tubs in unitl a week or two.  :'(
At the top of the list so far are HS and D1. One of the (many) things I liked about the D1 was the lifetime warranty on the shell. Also, this dealer had something worked out with D1 that if major warranty work needs to be preformed, that they will bring it back to their shop at no cost to me. I haven't head that from anyone else, so far.  :o
That's it for now. I'll let you know how the Marquis shopping goes.
 :D

drprwnap
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

My search continues
« on: March 05, 2005, 08:49:31 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: My search continues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:48:20 am »
At the top of the list so far are HS and D1. One of the (many) things I liked about the D1 was the lifetime warranty on the shell. Also, this dealer had something worked out with D1 that if major warranty work needs to be preformed, that they will bring it back to their shop at no cost to me.

D1 is excellent and on my list of top choices but that "lifetime" warranty is misunderstood by most or poorly explained by your salesperson. The first 7 years it is all inclusive as you are expecting and overall its a good warrnty. However, past that there are exlusions so that you may have to send it back to them, at your cost. Make sure you check out th D1 warranty and any others you are considering so you are informed.
http://www.d1spas.com/images/documents/2005BayReflectionsDomesticWarrantyDoc-1288RevBPN01533-0041.pdf

As far as them sending the spa back to the manufacturer for major warranty. This is something VERY seldom done and in fact if your dealer has a good service crew they should be able to handle it so this is not something I'd pay much attention to. Most all the major manufacturers end up doing this on RARE occasions but I'm not sure why the dealer even mentions it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 08:27:09 am »
What STUO has said is a very important point about the 'lifetime' warranty. It's still a good warranty - neither of us is trying to take anything away from that - but isn't a complete lifetime warranty in the normal sense of the word. However, if the dealer is willing to put in writing that they will transport your tub back to the factory after the first seven years, you've got a good thing going! Assuming they are still around, of course, but with that type of thinking, I think they would be doing fine.

I assume it means that they are running their own truck to the factory to pick up spas and are willing to simply put your tub on the trailer. That is exactly what I have done for the few tubs I have ever had to send back to HS. It's a nice gesture on the part of your dealer, and if they will put it in writing, it's worth even more.

Keep in mind that, as has been said, this seldom ever happens.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drprwnap

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 09:20:01 am »
Thanks guys for the info. I printed out the D1 warranty. When I go back to the dealer, I'll be sure to ask him about this. Also, I noticed the neck jet pillows are not under any kind of warranty. I wonder why ???
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 09:25:38 am »
Most pillows have very little or no warranty. Too easy for you to damage them by abuse or chem problems.

Beachcomber doesn't put them in at all for that reason, and HotSpring recently switched to a more durable, less comfortable pillow.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 11:19:09 am »
Thanks guys for the info. I printed out the D1 warranty. When I go back to the dealer, I'll be sure to ask him about this. Also, I noticed the neck jet pillows are not under any kind of warranty. I wonder why ???

It is only the pillow that is not covered. The neckflex jet assembly is covered the full five years.

As Chas pointed out, most pillows are warranted less than a year, usually 3 months.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 11:46:07 am »
It should also be pointed out that many manufacturers & Dealers will go above and beyond what the warranty states and replace items that get abnormal damage.  And the warranty on the Ultralife shell is a "Limited Lifetime Warranty."  The reason for this is because under many sate laws a Lifetime warranty consists of the first 7 years of ownership of the product.  I can also say that the dealership i work for has been selling D-1 spas for over 15 years, and has had only one instance of problems with the ultra-life shell that involved having to send it back to D-1 for repairs.  Yes, this did occur after the first 7 years of ownership, and the customer paid to have it shipped back to D-1 where D-1 not only fixed the shell but also fully refurbished the rest of the spa and sent it back to the customer at no extra charge (freight, delivery, etc...).  Out of the 4000 or so spas we have sold over the years, the majority of the Spas we have sold  have had the ultralife shell.  problems with that shell are extremely UNCOMMON.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 02:31:12 pm »
HotSpring has a product which was first called "Rovel," and later "Endurol," and the Ultra Life is very similar to it.

We have had great results with it over the almost 20 years we have sold it.

mowgli1

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 04:22:40 pm »
Is there any discoloration or  graying of the ultra life shell over time?

poolboy34

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 05:17:33 pm »
No, it look as good ten years from now as it does the day it's wrapped and shipped from the factory.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 10:00:52 am »
I'll vouch for our version of it: here is a spa which is now close to fifteen years old and still looks white and fresh.

The older tubs ( I have two neighbors who are enjoying tubs in the two-decade range) were Ivory, and that tended to bleach to white from the wateline down.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 10:00:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42