What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman Spas  (Read 8494 times)

BAMMspa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Coleman Spas
« on: March 02, 2005, 09:25:44 pm »
(1) Anyone care to comment on the new 2005 line of Coleman spas? ÊThere is a home show in my community that has a dozen spa sellers and I kind of liked the Coleman but see so little comments about it? Ê

(2) Also, why would the dealer who also sells Hot Springs show me only his Coleman line?

(3)  I'm looking at the Coleman Model C 481 at $7495.00 includes their CleanZone ozone system, Locking cover with cover lifter, Steps, No proration or deductible, 100% coverage warranties, Two 3.0Hp/5.9bHp pumps running 42 jets, a 1.5hp blower, in tub lighting.

(4)  Also looked at EMERALD Cygnus 2009 -- didn't really like it compared to the Coleman and the Sweetwater (a Sundance product) 780 Series....second choice to Coleman.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 09:45:52 pm by BAMMspa »

Hot Tub Forum

Coleman Spas
« on: March 02, 2005, 09:25:44 pm »

rick

Re: Coleman Spas
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:26:27 am »
Bamm, I am a Coleman C480 owner and can tell you that Coleman has a fantastic line of spas.   (MAXX, I'm still waiting for the residuals for standing up for your spas on this full foam forum!)

Are you telling me that you have talked to a dealer who carries HotSprings and Coleman?  Wow!  
I guess it makes sense really, to have to totally different designed spas for the consumer to choose.  

I have no idea why he only wanted to show you the Coleman but in case you don't already know, one of the biggest differences between the two are there insulating designs.  HotSprings uses a full foam design and Coleman uses a Thermopane as well as a metal frame vs. wood.  

I won't go into technical descriptions of the two designs as you can read much about both by searching this forum but I can attest that my Coleman's insulation is top notch as my electric bill runs about $20 a month to keep my spa running at 104 degrees.  

The Coleman is also THE quietest spa I have ran across when I did my searching last year.   And the filtration is top notch.  They use a cloth like thin round filter on top of the skimmer that collects the majority of debris, including oils and lotions, before this stuff can get down into the filter itself.  It is so cool watching this thing catch all the crap that gets in a spa and extends the life of your filter itself.  You just pull it out and rinse it off when it gets real dirty.   I hear many companies are now using this in their designs now.  And yes, Coleman has 1 big filter,  not 5  like that dealer's other spa.  My water is crystal clean and don't see how 5 filters could make it much cleaner.    (Baiting Chas and company.....hahaha).

You need to sit in them full of water and get a feel for the comfort of the spa to make your smartest choice in the end.  

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:01:41 am »

I have no idea why he only wanted to show you the Coleman but in case you don't already know, one of the biggest differences between the two are there insulating designs.  HotSprings uses a full foam design and Coleman uses a Thermopane as well as a metal frame vs. wood.]

Because theres more mark up on the Coleman and he makes more profit. In other words he gets them from the manufacturer for less money that the HS product and he can mark the price up higher to make a bigger profit. Economics man.

Retired

Bigbender

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:37:04 am »
Bamm,
We purchased a Coleman 471 Deluxe in December for $6360 installed. That's $6000 plus tax... It came with the ozinator, steps, cover, cover lifter, and three months worth of chemicals. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the 471 and the 481 and everyone loves our tub so I'm sure you will too. My wife's favorite seat is the lounge but every seat is comfortable and we don't float around in it.

We told every dealer about our price limit when we walked in the store. Except for their smallest tubs, Hot Springs and Sundance spas were out of our price range. If you mentioned price limits, he may not be showing the other tubs to you because of that ?

Every tub manufacturer that we looked at were marking their prices up in December for the 2005 models.  My opinion... If they can sell a tub that was manufactured in November for $6000, (and still make a profit) they can't justify a 25% cost increase three months later.

I'd press him for a discount and if he doesn't go for it, keep looking...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 08:53:36 am »
Every tub manufacturer that we looked at were marking their prices up in December for the 2005 models.  My opinion... If they can sell a tub that was manufactured in November for $6000, (and still make a profit) they can't justify a 25% cost increase three months later.

Well at least as far as HotSpring goes - they seldom, if ever, have a price increase mid-year. They generally set the price at the beginning of the year and are able to hold that price all year. They can do that for a lot of reasons, one of which is the sheer size of the orders they put in, another is the fact that they have learned a thing or two about projecting costs in the 27 years they have been doing this.

But as a result I, as a dealer, can also set my price at the beginning of the year and hold it. So every year we sell off our floor models starting in late December, try to deliver them in late Jan or early Feb when the new models become available, and then we hold last year's prices for a month until everything settles. Then there is a price increase. This year it was $500 on most models, and that is just over 6% on an $8000 spa. If I offered a tub at $2995, and I had to raise the price say $400, that would be a 13% increase...

I know it seems like some sort of huge profit-grab, and we all hate it when prices go up at all, but the cost of manufacturing does escalate. Fuel prices, plastic prices, EPA regualtions, cost of living (labor force), insurance, even advertising costs all go up.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:52:27 am »
BigBender & BAMMspa;

I can think of 3 reasons why BAMMspas quote is higher than what BigBender paid.
1) BigBender has a Deluxe BAMM is looking at a Premium. A premium is 5% more than a Deluxe.
2) BigBender got an '04 and BAMM is looking at a '05. Price increase of 8% on Coleman this year
3) A 481 costs more than a 471. 5% difference

Of corse there are various other possible explainations such as profit margins, shipping cost, over head etc.

I am not saying BAMM should not try to negotiate a better price, I am just pointing out that this comparison is not apples to apples even if it is Coleman to Coleman.

As for why you were shown the Coleman over HS..Tman may be correct. It may also be a salespersons preference because the person enjoys the feel/expereince of Coleman better. I like the Colemans better than the D-1's sometimes because they are an easier sell (more sizzle, less technical).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 01:21:58 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

OHspaDealer

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 02:17:01 pm »
Well, Im not a Coleman dealer, but I can say Ive heard good reports on their products. Lots of satisfied customers.

BAMMspa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 09:02:29 pm »
I'm grateful for everyone's comments and input.  We have a Pool/Outdoor Show going on in our area so I will make another trip back with more knowledge from you folks and what I have read elsewhere on the WEB.   will probably double check about 7 different brands to make sure of my comfort level with the Coleman and than do a wet test.  

Anyone care to comment on the Dealers claiming to have sll these "Show Discounts?"   I have a feeling even once the show is gone I'd be able to get similar deals.

Might look at the Hot Springs becasue my father-in-law is an electrician and is doing the custom home of the Hot Springs dealer in another Market 90 miles away.  So, I guess if I can get a really, really good deal from him maybe I'll go with Hot Springs.  But, certainly i don't want to sacrifice quality or satisfaction for a cheap price.  But I hear some Hot Spring tubs are nice, too.  Like the Grandee that is discussed on this site.

:D

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 06:10:01 am »
Anyone care to comment on the Dealers claiming to have sll these "Show Discounts?"   I have a feeling even once the show is gone I'd be able to get similar deals.

I'll comment, The booth in the show cost mooney to rent, the product won't materialize in the booth, it cost alot to truck it down and set it up. Most shows run extended hours and staffing cost money, after all you still have to run your store during the running of the show. All these things add up to extra cost's for the dealer, that he has to offset somehow. I am sure he is hoping for an increase in sales but to rely on that would be a bad business decision. Shows are a great place to look because there is multiple brands in the same place. But in my opinion a bad place to buy. You get an even better deal after the show when they find out they didn't sell as many as they thought. But of course let them know that after the show you would like a closer inspection in there showroom.
Retired

fatman

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 05:06:44 pm »
My wife and I just got back from a Coleman dealership and we were both impressed. The dealer was impressive in that she did not give an overbearing sales pitch and did not appear to be starved to make a commission. She simply and politely did a demonstration of the pumps, chemicals, filter and answered all questions. Not pushy at all. The hot tubs themselves were hands down the quietest I have seen so far. Even with all 3 pumps running at top speed it was very quiet. The steel frame was what I was most concerned about, but not any more.  It isn't flimsy and I am not worried about it "rusting out". Now that I have seen the construction, insulation and ergonomics(another company where the pics on the website do not do the tubs justice) of the seats, I can say with certainty that Coleman will be in the running come purchase time later this year.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 11:09:40 am »
That's music to my ears. I love to hear things like that to start my day!!

Let us know how the wet tests go!

Spahappy :D

spahappy

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 11:32:12 am »
That's music to my ears. I love to hear things like that to start my day!!

Let us know how the wet tests go!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 11:46:56 am »
Deja Vu  

???

spahappy

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 05:27:08 pm »
It's my age I'm starting to repeat myself :-/

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 06:09:21 pm »
 Deja Vu  

???

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 06:09:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42