What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Swim Spas  (Read 19029 times)

Jakeman

Swim Spas
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:07:07 pm »
Anybody have any info on swimspas? I know d1 has some & Hydropool has one. Has anybody ever tried any of these? Looking for some excercise & hot tub, what are the benefits? of drawbacks of having them built in the same unit?

Hot Tub Forum

Swim Spas
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:07:07 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Swim Spas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:34:25 am »
Anybody have any info on swimspas? I know d1 has some & Hydropool has one. Has anybody ever tried any of these? Looking for some excercise & hot tub, what are the benefits? of drawbacks of having them built in the same unit?

The D1 incorporates a lot more than just swimming so they call their units Aquatic Fitness Systems. I looked at just about everything before bringing them on my showroom floor and originally took on the D1 line because I was so impressed with the AFS. I would be happy to send you a DVD on the benefits and they only drawback I can think of is the sheer amount of time you will ignore your television because you have one of these! (Oh, and the need to buy a new wardrobe from the great exercise!) ;) ;) 8)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 10:14:25 am »
In my grand opinion, the only type of swimspa worth owning is the type which moves the entire body of water, to actually make you swim.  The ones which use a hydro jet or group of hydro jets simply move too little water to do what should be considered 'swimming.' They are more like jogging in place or leaning against a breeze.

I have seen many of these types of units on display at trade shows being demonstrated by one person all day. They use a very slow crawl stroke with no flutter kick and can easily out swim the 'current.'  

But then you get to another display, this time a unit which moves the entire body of water via a paddlewheel or something similar, and you see a demonstrator actually working hard with a full stroke and flutter kick just to keep  in the middle of the unit. And you also see a group of demonstrators puffing and blowing, walking around wrapped cooling off from their short demos.... the difference is obvious.

There are a couple of brands with which I am familiar, but there may be others available where you live.

Swimex has a return channel built in under the floor so the water makes one pass through the swimming area and then returns to the other end of the unit. Very controlable, very safe, very fast if you want it to be.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:13:40 pm »
Chas buddy! You really should try an AFS out! I would be happy to set you up with a demo knowing that it's just for curiosity! Your pretty close to one of the stores that have a couple full will all the exercise attachments. If you ever get a spare moment I would love to get you to hope in one and then post the outcome.

Heck I would even buy dinner for you and your lovely wife that night for your trouble and might even be tempted to fly out for the honor of showing it to you myself!

The sheer level of fitness that you can achieve in an AFS is unequaled by anything else in the industry. It is the only spa I know that is allows the ability to circuit train and swim both with that much variety of different exercises. I think that these units are the forerunners to what we will see many companies attempt in the future.

The swimex unit would most certainly be easier for the beginner but pretty limited in what you can do. With very little practice the AFS can help you become a very good swimmer and extremely fit with no impact on your joints!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:39:50 pm »
In my grand opinion, the only type of swimspa worth owning is the type which moves the entire body of water, to actually make you swim.  The ones which use a hydro jet or group of hydro jets simply move too little water to do what should be considered 'swimming.' They are more like jogging in place or leaning against a breeze.

Though I don't expect you to be totally aware of the operation and function of these swim spas as you don't sell them Chas, your perception of what is needed is incorrect. It lends itself to the same philosophy as a spa needing 80 jets in order to be therapeutic. Let me explain;

The act of swimming for exercise is something we would want in a way that allows us to maintain a strong, steady stroke. One of the largest complaints in some of these swim spas is the amount of turbulence they generate. A properly designed swim spa will offer a powerful stream designed at hitting you at each shoulder and under your chest and divert the water to the massage seats and eliminating the backwash that many paddlewheel swim spas have. It will give the water the ability to move in a way that doesn't inhibit the swimmers stroke and allows them to stay centered in the spa. I don't blame you for being unaware of the principles as I was to prior to becoming a Hydropool Rep.

I have seen many of these types of units on display at trade shows being demonstrated by one person all day. They use a very slow crawl stroke with no flutter kick and can easily out swim the 'current.'

A very strong swimmer could out-swim any swim spa initially. That's not the point. These are designed for exercise and if I put you in a Hydropool swim spa and you swam for 10 minutes, you would be exhausted by the end of it as most of us couldn't last longer than 15 or 20 minutes. After 5 minutes, you couldn't out swim them if you tried unless you were an athlete of sorts. Hydropool has many units that are used by professional sports teams (2-Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Nicks) and are used by a number of Olympic athletes for training purposes. If what you had mentioned was true in any way, these professionals wouldn't be indorsing them nor using them in the capacity in which they are.

But then you get to another display, this time a unit which moves the entire body of water via a paddlewheel or something similar, and you see a demonstrator actually working hard with a full stroke and flutter kick just to keep  in the middle of the unit.

Exactly my point. This exercise should be no different than swimming laps in a pool and not similar to swimming in a tsunami.

To give a true comparison to the swimex model, I’ll give you this.
-Hydropool has 2 therapy seats in the back corners of the swim spa with 8 therapy jets each. Swimex does not though it is optional.
- Our amp draw requires a 50 amp service. Swimex is either 85, 105 or 135. Ouch…
- Hydropool has a topload pressurized filtration system used by all swimming pools today. Swimex does not.
- Hydropool offers a complete cedar cabinet for above ground installations. Swimex does not.
- Hydropool comes standard with an underwater light. Swimex does not.
- Hydropool has an optional insulated, lockable hardcover. Swimex does not.
- The base price of a Hydropool starts at $15,700 US. Swimex base model is $21,900.

It’s interesting when you really get fully trained on these things and though it has similarities to what we know in spas, the technology is much different and the concept of creating a true swim lane can really be misunderstood. Thanks for bringing this topic up Jakeman and if there’s anything I can do to help, please let me know. I’m in the business of swim spas and can provide the information you will need to make this a great purchase. I look forward to hearing from you.

Learn even more about Hydropool’s Swim Spas

Steve

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 02:05:15 pm by Steve »

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 01:28:15 pm »
Endless Pools makes a good product from what I've seen but I can tell you this when you look at one of these you really have to consider the installation price. I know from posts on other boards the cost of installation can easily exceed the cost of the unit, which is surprising since they are priced 20k and up. My thought is for the total investment you could have a regular pool put in and get your self a membership to a local indoor pool for the off season months. Besides I'm a competitive swimmer and swimming in one place couldn't be more boring. You don't want to spend 40k and then 3 months later be treating it like the exercise bike that now clutters up your basement! ;D

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:58:19 pm »
Good point Drifter. I know that many put them on a concrete pad and build a deck around them. Others will dig a hole and backfill to have them inground. Some are inside a solarium and to be honest, that's the only application that could see being $20 G's that I could imagine.

There's many choices including just a cedar skirt as well but I think most applications are quite reasonable. I've seen some amazing spa applications as well and like those, it just depends on the person and what they want. Keep in mind that these are basically the size of 2 hot tubs and can be installed in a similar to fashion. Installations costs would represent maybe a 1/4 of the total cost on average.

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 02:24:18 pm »
Hydropool has many units that are used by professional sports teams (2-Toronto Maple Leafs)

Steve

These 2 might be available on eBay pretty soon.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 02:31:16 pm »
One should not discount the benefits of other exercises in these "swim spas".

One can swim a far greater distance in water than one can run. In a swim spa you can get some high impact resitance while standing/running. This also releives a great deal of the stress on the back and kness that running on pavement/concrete gives.

Some like D-1's AFS also have places to attach apparatice for resistence training for the whole body.

Steve & Chas....Play nice ;)
Homeworks Financing Representative

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 02:55:04 pm »
That's right HTM. Our Aquaplay units have a harness which allows all aspects of resistance.

As far as "playing nice", I'm mearly pointing out that there are factors that Chas may not be aware of when it comes to swim spas. I'm not saying that he can't share his opinions as we all know Chas has a great deal of knowledge in spas. I don't question that for second and I think he knows that.
The fact remains that I do have the knowledge with swim spas which extends to most models available and this was my reason for the comparison. That's all...nothing else... :-/

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 03:00:25 pm »
Steve & Chas....Play nice ;)

Is a pay per view event in the works.....I here the odds are 3 to 1 for Steve the "Younger Buck" to take the title from the" Wiley old vet King Chas"....there going to both do a few laps in the swim spa and than see who can drag themselves into Grandee first with no step....

poolboy34

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 03:05:50 pm »
are you sure it's gonna be a grandee????  I heard it was a Beachcomber 750 or something..........

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 03:10:11 pm »
are you sure it's gonna be a grandee????  I heard it was a Beachcomber 750 or something..........

My sources tell me that they will be soaking in a Fallsburg after the competition..... :) ;) :D ;D
Homeworks Financing Representative

poolboy34

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 03:14:13 pm »
Custom....SUPER custom....or the brand spankin new for 2005 "Ultra Snoop dog pimped out tricked out Version???"

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 08:07:28 pm »
Look at these guys trying to provoke something here. Ya bunch of goons!  ;D

YOUNG BUCK? I'm turning 40 on Apr.17 and feel anything BUT! I know that's younger than most of you 'ol fogies here though... ;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 08:07:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42