What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: RIP OFF!  (Read 5679 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
RIP OFF!
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:48:13 am »
I just received a phone call from a lady in Kilgore, TX who was waiting to receive a "Sundance" spa she bought out of Dallas.  It is a brand new spa, 7' x 7', and only cost $3,700.  She bought it from a lady named "Stacy" who speaks "fluent Spanish and seems to know what she's talking about."

I asked a few questions as this seemed very fishy.  When she told me the lady even showed her the building out back where the "Sundance" spas were built, I told here she was being conned.

With her still on the phone, I got on the net and found some information about these guys.  They go by the name Sunco, Sundaze, Sunseeker, etc. and there are a lot of unhappy people wanting to talk to them.  I did my best to help the lady contact the BBB in Dallas.  She has already given them a check for $1200 that has cleared and was going to pay the rest on delivery at 3:00 pm.

Any advice on how else I can help this lady?  She seems like a nice person who is being taken advantage of.  Crooks like this Stacy and her crew make us all look bad.

CEO
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

RIP OFF!
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:48:13 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: RIP OFF!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:17:13 am »
I have run into a few folks who have been scammed in this manner. Not many, but a few over the years. The best I can offer is a discount to offset some of the loss, and then follow up with the best service I can give them to help get the bad taste out of their mouth for the spa industry.

If I hear of them trying it around the SoCal area I'll post it.
These type of folks tend to go from spas to roofing to siding to other high-ticket items and then blow town and start elsewhere.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 11:25:12 am »
Unfortunately, the lady being scammed was far too trusting (as is usually the case) and these guys are trying to sell her a piece of junk.  The info I've read on these guys indicate that they like to pull the old bait-n-switch or don't even deliver the spa at all.  She thought she was buying a top of the line Sundance.

CEO

Russ

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:24:16 pm »
I think she should contact the local police. If this "stacy" has done this before she may be wanted by the state police.

Russ

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:31:48 pm »
Over at JA's website (always good for a laugh) there are quite a few people looking for "Stacy". Someone even suggested calling the Attorney Generals office in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 12:38:11 pm »
I'd also try to get in touch with the local TV station and their "troubleshooter". If you can get them interested in such a story (especially scamming an old lady) it's amazing what they can do as the scam artists hate the publicity it can bring.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

69_dude

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 03:19:14 pm »
East Tx,
Is this "Stacy" the one that has the ads in the local American Classifieds (Thrifty Nickel) every week?  There's a lady that has been advertising in there at least 6 months with an ad for tubs that says "closeouts--only 7 remaining" ever week.  It is a Dallas area code and I heard from a local dealer that the Sherriff's office was wanting to have a visit with her, as there has been over 6 incidents so far!!!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 03:19:55 pm »
I dealt with a customer here in California that had a very similar thing happen to them....basicaly a place that runs ads in the paper that looks like a private party selling a spa..only to find out that it is a builder direct thing......this woman tried to cancel her sale the next day and they refused....she is now in court with them...it just points to why it is so much wiser to work with a real local dealer who represents a nationally well known respected brand......

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 03:33:45 pm »
East Tx,
Is this "Stacy" the one that has the ads in the local American Classifieds (Thrifty Nickel) every week?

Evidently so.  I never paid much attention to it until this morning when the lady from Kilgore called and asked me what chemicals she should use for her new spa that was being delivered today.  I asked her where she bought it and why weren't they providing her with the startup kit as we have done for our customers for 20 years.  That's when the story unfolded.

I have had a couple of other people recently ask me about people selling spas out of rented storage buildings in Tyler.  I'll bet it's the same outfit.

CEO
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 03:34:38 pm by East_TX_Spa »

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 09:36:33 pm »
Hey east texas spa

I to called this ladies phone number last year before i bought my spa from you. i to saw her add in the thrifty nickle. glad i could smell her as a rat.
She told me they were new spas  and she was a building contractor that had left over spas from homes she didnt end up building. Gues the storie changes as she rips people off.    

t6 texan

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 06:06:39 am »
Yo...Quido, get your sorry A## down to TX take care ob some bidness fer me.
Retired

steve771

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:16 pm »
Well, it's really nice that you guys want to help this person.

Personally, I think it's the old "buyer beware" or "if it sounds too good to be true, it is".  She didn't do her homework.  Doing just basic research will tell you that you can't buy any Sundance model for $3700!  The reason these cons work is that someone is trying to get a ridiculously low price on a spa (or anything for that matter) and that's how the con gets your money.  It comes down to greed, pure and simple.  Sorry to hear they got her just the same, and I won't go so far as to say it's her fault, but she could have protected herself with just a few phone calls.   :(

A tough way to learn a lesson, for sure.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 09:01:09 pm by steve771 »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 09:14:54 pm »
Steve,

You old softie....man....just be straight with her....don;t sugar coat it....and why was it Sun-dance and not  a Hydro Pool she was hoping to get....hummmmmmmmm..... ;)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 07:01:35 am »
Steve,

You old softie....man....just be straight with her....don;t sugar coat it....and why was it Sun-dance and not  a Hydro Pool she was hoping to get....hummmmmmmmm..... ;)

Mendo,

Wrong Steve!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 09:45:38 am »
I agree 100% with Steve! I followed this thread and even looked over at JA's site to see what was being said over there. I fail to see how people can honestly think they are getting a 8k spa for 2-3k? I mean really. All it takes is 2 minutes on the web to see that Sundance spas are @8k. Even easier would be 1 call to a local dealer. I mean I'm all for looking for a good deal but at some point doesn't your BS alarm go off? The old saying is so true......"if it sounds too good to be true ...it probably is"......and also  ......"basically you get what  you pay for". Not to suggest you can't get good deals out there but wake up!
       Reminds me of the scam where you see some guys selling speakers out of the back of a van? They claim that they are installers and they had a big job but have some left over. "These are high quality night club speakers" "They usually sell for 1k a pair" "you can have them for $250.00"  I saw a magazine get a pair of these and test them. They came back and said if they sold them for more than $40.00 you were getting ripped off. They were absolute junk. But people hear 1k and you can have them for between 250-150 and people will pull money out of their wallets fast!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 09:45:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42