What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: used hot tubs  (Read 2572 times)

stevemokay

used hot tubs
« on: July 15, 2000, 03:30:15 pm »
am thinking about buying a used tub.
what tips can anyone give me.
a friend has a 6 year old cal spa, 7X7.
any suggestions?

thanx

Hot Tub Forum

used hot tubs
« on: July 15, 2000, 03:30:15 pm »

Spa Tech

Re:used hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2000, 05:04:54 pm »

Tips on looking over that used Cal Spa--

-Check to see if its fully foamed on the underside...Full insulation was an option and did not come standard. Still doesnt.

-Pull the filters on the tub. A tub that size probably has two... one up in a fitting on the tub side and the other located in a pressure fitting in the motor compartment. If both of these are very dirty-reconsider. Clogged filters generally force most of the water throught the filter bypass and sedimentation and debris can harm the jet pump/s.
Basic test to see if they are bad filters-Place them in the tub to see if they float...If they sink ask to have them replaced if youre buying the tub.

-Check the motor compartment floor- Its usually plywood on a Cal Spa- Look for moisture and rot... both are signs of leakage.

-Look for white powdery residure on the equipment. This is a sign of hard water [calcification] or a possible hypersanitation problem. If it is present there could be more problems that you cant see...like below.

-Run the spa-The jet pump should run smoothly-If it sounds like its pumping gravel and not water its time for new bearings and a shaft seal...Make sure they run it hot for you so you can see it heats.

-Ask the "friend" if delivery is included in sale price. If not- look up a dealer that moves spas. Unless youve done it before dont experiment...better to pay someone to move it professionally that to get hurt or break the spa

Happy Hot Tubbin'

SpaSalesMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re:used hot tubs
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2000, 05:06:59 pm »
buying a used spa can be difficult if you dont know how well the water was maintained.  Water causes the problems with spas and poor water chemistry can kill a spa.  Does it have ozone? when was the bulb replaced, do you know what repairs have been made? that brand is not known for lasting much longer than six years and I wouldnt buy it for more than $500.00-$750.00 but you can if you want..

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: used hot tubs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 05:34:35 pm »
Another oldy-but-goody.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 10:11:19 pm »
Geeze, Chas, you dredge up a simple 5 year old post and make me feel like I dont have anything better to do and feel like an old geezer with four words...Promise me you wont send me any Birthday cards, Okay? ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 01:44:25 am »
A birthday card I could handle. Its the candles for your birthday cake I don't know if I could afford....

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 01:44:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42