What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Germs, Infections  (Read 3135 times)

aloof

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Germs, Infections
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:23:01 pm »
Found this web site a few days ago and have been checking it out several times a day.

We had hoped to checkout numerous dealers, do some wet testing and have a spa in our backyard by the springtime.

However, I am very concerned about the spreading of infections. Not aids, or herpes, but such things as athlete's foot or related "rash" type infections.

A member of my family suffers from "yellow (or green) nail syndrome", which has led to the removal of a big toe nail on more than on occassion. I know, this condition thrives on wet, warm surroundings.

This is an ongoing condition..... meaning the toe nail stays rough and discolored. They continue to put medicine on it daily, but the "infection" continues to be there. This has actually gone on for several years.

Before dropping several thousand dollars for a spa that we want the entire family to use, we need to know if this person would be able to use the spa. We've read there are all kinds of fancy chemicals available...... but have been unable to determine if they would protect others in the spa from contracting the same problem.
(I should note I do not know for sure that the condition is contagious..... but just in case.).

Maybe I'm being too cautious, 'cause - if we get a tub we hope to have lots of people use it. Not sure it would be neighborly to "checkout" everyone's rashes, infections and cuts before we allowed the to jump in.

I did an extensive search of the current forum and found nothing on what I've outlined above.

Am I being too cautious? Once I get some answers we will either head to the dealerships..... or forget it and buy the family a boat instead.

thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Germs, Infections
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:23:01 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Germs, Infections
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:31:00 pm »
Chlorine is a great sanitizer and IMO it’s the best way to assure your water remains clean and clear. While I'm inclined to say that should do the trick for you I really think you are in need of advice from a PODIATRIST on this one. They deal with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases of the human foot and can address your specific fears so you can sleep at night knowing you can enjoy your spa without fear that your family will awaken one morning the issue you're describing.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 02:52:49 pm »
I agree with Spatech t.u.o. regarding Chlorine, and consulting your Dr. on the possibility of the condition spreading.

I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on T.V., but my husband had something similar to this. After several persciptions and months with no change in the nail condition we tried an old home remedy and it worked like a charm.

He put vicks vapor rub on his toe at night and covered it with a old wool sock.(I don't think the type of sock matters) He started seeing improvement within two weeks and within three months the nail was totally back to normal.

Our Dr. was even open minded enough to suggest this for other patients after seeing the results Mr. Spahappy had. Might be worth a try ;)

While this was going on he still used our tub and no one else in the family came down with it. I'd still consult your Dr. to be sure.

Spahappy :D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:03:18 pm »
I agree with Spa Happy, who agrees with Spatech Tuo. Does this person use your bathtub/shower?  The hot tub is more sanitary than either of those.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

cebever

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:07:55 pm »
Thanks to both you and Spatech t.u.o. for the info.

That's one remedy I will definitely pass on.

I believe we were told there was very little danger of catching it via a shower stall, but I'm thinking a spa filled with circulating water could be another story. Spatech t.u.o. is right, we need to find out for sure for the peace of mind.

aloof

shoemaker

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 03:15:16 pm »
I agree with the others about seeing a Doctor first.

But I have to tell you that about 15 years ago I broke my foot in the middle of the summer. We had a swimming pool and I wanted to go in it even tho I had a cast from my toes to just below my knee. My Doctor told me to go to my local pharmacy and get a cast "BOOT" . This was a thick clear rubberized boot that covered my entire cast and had an elastic closure at the top.

This allowed me to use the swimming pool for as long as I wanted and the cast never got wet.

Perhaps this is a solution to your problem?

Just trying to help.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:17:26 pm by shoemaker »

aloof

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 03:42:20 pm »
Thanks Shoemaker.

Hope we don't have to go that far, but it's at least worth considering.

wmccall makes a good point.

Yes, the shower has been "communal" for years, ever since the condition started. Surely a "properly maintained/chemicaled spa" would be more sanitary....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 03:46:47 pm »
Who knows, maybe exposure to that sanitizer would help?  Of course your MD should be consulted first.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 08:02:25 pm »
I read about a medication which you can take which will cause all your toenails to drop off. New ones grow and you don't have the fungus any more. Takes several months for the whole cycle, but seems to be getting permanent results. Painless.

Ask your doctor.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 08:02:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42