What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Cover - lifting up in Wind  (Read 4047 times)

CaliforniaDave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Spa Cover - lifting up in Wind
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:28:22 pm »
Ok, twice we had high winds in Riverside CA, and both times I found my spa cover in the up position. I thought I had just left it up once, but my wife said she was sure she closed it the last time.

Anyone have experience in them opening by themselves in wind?

I know, I should lock it down, but no young kids (18+ years old now) home, fenced yard with locked gates. Next to bedroom door on back patio. Then add the fact that one of my older daughters didn't know how to uphook the strap, so they are broken and need replacement. Maybe I will....

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Cover - lifting up in Wind
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:28:22 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Spa Cover - lifting up in Wind
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:33:14 pm »
Latch it, even if you don't have kids.  One of my hot tub friends lives on a large "block" that is nearly a mile around. EVeryone's back yard faces each other's .  On windy days you can find out who didn't latch their covers as they will sail away. The record is nearly a mile away and they can cause damage! Even if you latch one side, these things have a tremendous wind load and a good wind can rip the 2 remaining latches right off the spa.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 03:34:17 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 03:58:15 pm »
Neighborhood spa covers got slammed good a while back when we had high winds right after Xmas.  One person told of having his cover latched on all four sides, came home to find it missing.  It was on the neighbor's roof!

If Mother Nature wants to tear it off, she will. But its better to error on side of caution, and button it all up.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 04:44:57 pm »
I would add a cover wind strap from Doc's site and he can send you new latchs also...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 04:45:16 pm by stuart »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:23:02 pm »
Thanks for the plug stuart....... speaking of which..... where's the bill for my sauna heater????? Or should I just consider it a gift....... NO problem there ole buddy ole pal  ;D

and remember the foam replacement I want to send you?

Weak tie-downs are probably the most prevalent problem with many, if not most brands of covers. The problem is due to the straps not being sewn into the cover in enough places and solidly enough. Fortunately, I was aware of this "problem" when I designed our covers and easily found a "fix" for it..Actually it's one many  of the reason we started making covers....

LEAVE me alone.... I had minor surgery yesterday and am still on vicodin....... is the text dancing on your screen like it is on mine?? It sure is pretty
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 05:23:34 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 11:41:30 pm »
Thanks for the plug stuart....... speaking of which..... where's the bill for my sauna heater????? Or should I just consider it a gift....... NO problem there ole buddy ole pal  ;D

and remember the foam replacement I want to send you?

Weak tie-downs are probably the most prevalent problem with many, if not most brands of covers. The problem is due to the straps not being sewn into the cover in enough places and solidly enough. Fortunately, I was aware of this "problem" when I designed our covers and easily found a "fix" for it..Actually it's one many  of the reason we started making covers....

LEAVE me alone.... I had minor surgery yesterday and am still on vicodin....... is the text dancing on your screen like it is on mine?? It sure is pretty

Yeah,
I'll get it out this week sometime, I'm so busy trying to make more money that I don't have time to collect on what I have already delivered!! ;)

How's that Suana Heater working?

Surgery? Did you get an "Eye-ectaomy"? (you know, where they sever the tube that goes from your but to your eye's because you have such a crappy outlook?) :)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:19:43 am »
"I'm so busy trying to make more money that I don't have time to collect"

| had a friend that was always broke yet worked 14 hours a day... as a contractor.. never had time to bill people for the outstanding $100k he was due.

"How's that Suana Heater working? "

AWESOME!!!! I re-stacked the rocks, took out about 1/3, and it works perfectly now. Hope to get the benches done this weekend..... finally get rid on the plastic milk crates and the plaid marking on my you-know-what....... though the girlfriend looks kinda cute  ;D

"Surgery? Did you get an "Eye-ectaomy"?"

Actually, a reverse Eye-ectaomy. Doc said I was just too dang happy all the time and he could cure it....... naaaa, had to have a major infection in my finger drained.... no big deal, though it was one of the 2 most painful (physical) experiences I can remember having.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 10:07:47 am »
Had that same thing happen once: arm got infected and the doc said he couldn't use a local because he was afraid of spreading the infection to my blood if he stuck a needle in me.

I think he just got his kicks watching people squirm as he dug around with that red-hot poker...

I guess everyone needs a hobby...

Heal fast Doc !

Thanks for the samples, BTW. Looks cool !
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 10:07:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42