What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: L.A. and other tub comparisons  (Read 7386 times)

Bigbender

L.A. and other tub comparisons
« on: December 10, 2004, 02:02:30 pm »
Hello everybody. I'm the new guy here so be easy on me...:) I hope I'm not starting off here by repeating an old question, but looking over past posts didn't reveal much info about L.A. spas. I looked at some this week and I'm wondering if they're any good ???

My wife's long-time desire to own one, her hard work as a nurse and a lot of good home cooked meals convinced me to make a trip to one of the two local tub dealers this week. It must be the Christmas spirit... My first stop sold L.A spas and Deer something (I forget the name). The dealer I'm visiting in a day or two will have Hot Springs and Tiger River spas.

I'll have to admit that I was impressed with what a new spa consisted of. Because I've only seen a few older tubs, I was under the assumption that spas were nothing but a miniature swimming pool with swirling water. I thought people were nuts for sitting outside in the water on a winter day. What I saw in the showroom shed a whole new light on the massaging effects they provide and that got my attention. Because of discounts on last year's models being available now, I believe I might try to get her (us) one for Christmas.

Since I don't know much about a hot tub, I've read about everything in this forum and looked at a lot of manufacturer webpages. The webpages seem to get blurry after a while but from what's been said in here, Hot Springs and Caldera seem to be the most popular. I didn't find anything on L.A. spas though. Would someone please share your opinions on this manufacturer.

Our tub preferences: Since two of our kids have moved out of the house, I don't think we need a hot tub that seats seven people. My deck layout and pocketbook aren't really set up for a large tub either.

If I were to choose one of the L.A. spas, it would be the "Natural" (link below) because of its size and the amount of jets it provides.
http://www.laspas.com/Data/NaturalData.html

The model they had was the N6939. My cost would be $5299 with a set of steps, manual lift bracket, set-up and delivery and tax is extra of course. All I need to do is get some wire run to a new outlet.

The Hot Springs website shows the Prodigy model and it seems to compare in size to the L.A. tub, but from the looks of it, there are only 19 jets in that model. The L.A. has 39 jets. To me, that's a big difference, but I feel that my biggest concerns should be how they are constructed, how the company stands behind their product, the amount of and type of insulation, and the quality and size of the pumps. Although a large amount of jets seems to be the key "massage quality" difference, I'm not sure if an extra $2000 is worth paying for a few more jets and a little more seating room ??

Please advise and thanks for your help,
Bigbender

Hot Tub Forum

L.A. and other tub comparisons
« on: December 10, 2004, 02:02:30 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: L.A. and other tub comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 02:09:30 pm »
There are a lot of other spas in that price range....

Believe me, your comparing more than size and jets between LA and HS! That would be like comparing a Mercedes to Saturn!

LA had a large buy out this year and I would hold off a bit to see what shakes out from that before jumping on board with that spa.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 02:10:44 pm »
Hi Bigbender and welcome!

I has LA Spas as my second choice when considering what to buy!  I think they make a great tub.  Please, be sure and wet test (even if you have to tell your wife that you are looking) because it can really make a difference.  Jet numbers aside, only a wet test can truly show you what therapy you are going to get from a tub!

The jet number is a little deceiving with the LA brand, though.  Be sure and look carefully, last year they counted every opening as a jet.  That meant the little spinning jets, that have 2 openings, is counted as 2 jets, not one.  (It would be like HotSpring's Prodigy counting the Soothing Seven jet as 7).  Or at least, that was the way they counted last year.

Anyway, they are a good tub!  Be sure and wet test!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 02:38:51 pm »
I would take Lori's very good advice and wet test. The (Tiger River) Caspian might be available for a little more, but it has two jet pumps, tons of jets and is backed by HotSpring.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 04:18:54 pm »
If you liked the LA spas - take a look at Artesian Island series. Their designs are similar to the LA spas, I was told by my dealer that a designer from LA went over to Artesian.

Bigbender

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 04:36:56 pm »
Wet testing is a very good suggestion, but there's only a few dealers around here and the one I went to only had two tubs with water in them. The tubs I liked were dry. The Hot Springs/ Tiger River dealer said she had 19 models on the floor. How many are filled with water ???

I may have to do some long distance traveling to find tubs with water in them.

Another question... Does a lounge create a massage effect for your legs and feet that is unique ? They basically take up one whole side of the tub and I'm not sure if they're worth the seating space loss. If a lounge is a valuable addition, what jet positions should you look for ?

wetone

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 06:47:03 pm »
Another question... Does a lounge create a massage effect for your legs and feet that is unique ? They basically take up one whole side of the tub and I'm not sure if they're worth the seating space loss. If a lounge is a valuable addition, what jet positions should you look for ?

I believe a lounge to be a personal preference thing; you either love them or don't care for them. The seating style varies from brand to brand. Only way to find out... wet test ;D

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 08:33:36 pm »
Bigbender,

Did the dealer offer to fill the tubs you are looking at?  When I went to wet test for the second time (I was debating between the Vanguard and the Fiji), the LA dealer filled about 3-4 tubs for me to try!  The HotSpring guy had just gotten a new Prodigy in and had to fill it for me to test!

P.S.  I found a lounge to be a non-necessity for me.  Of course, I would have never realized this until I wet tested.  I was pretty set on having one until I got in them wet!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

steve771

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 01:37:23 am »
We bought a LA Spa.  We are happy with it so far.  Of course, being our first tub, I really don't have a lot to compare it to.  I do like their filter system over the pleated filters.  Pleated filters seem like such a pain.  The LA Spa's filter is cloth and you just toss it in the washing machine.  But of course, you don't just buy a spa for the filter.  I would recommend going a little bigger than you think.  It is nice to have extra room, and how anyone could fit 6 or 8 people in a tub so rated and be comfortable is beyond me!  Just IMHO, good luck!

chaz

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 05:51:20 pm »
Big,

I have had my LA for about 9 months now and have been very happy with it.  I have a HEET which is a lot bigger than what you are looking for, but have been pleased with it and all its flexibility.  I am not sure about pricing for yours, but I paid around $6k for tub, steps, umbrella, Ozone + an extra $200 for the lifter.  I did wet test against other tubs including HS, but preferred what I got for the $ with LA.

Stuart, what are you referring to, buy out?  I have not heard anything related to this.  And IMHO the difference is no where near a Mercedes vs a Saturn unless you mean as far as price?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 06:46:55 pm »
Big,

I have had my LA for about 9 months now and have been very happy with it.  I have a HEET which is a lot bigger than what you are looking for, but have been pleased with it and all its flexibility.  I am not sure about pricing for yours, but I paid around $6k for tub, steps, umbrella, Ozone + an extra $200 for the lifter.  I did wet test against other tubs including HS, but preferred what I got for the $ with LA.

Stuart, what are you referring to, buy out?  I have not heard anything related to this.  And IMHO the difference is no where near a Mercedes vs a Saturn unless you mean as far as price?

We have another Chas...er, I mean Chaz...?

I would love for you to convince my wife that there is no differance between the Mercedes and the Saturn! You could save me a bunch of money! I'm sure that most Mercedes owners would adamently dissagree with you.

Yes, LA Spas was sold this year to an investment group outside of the spa industry. From what I've heard they are a group that buys companies to resell them and are out of Denver, CO.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 07:36:01 pm »
You're getting some good advice.  Test soaking is key.
However, if a dealer isn't willing to fill the tub that you have an interest in, this may say something about their commitment to your overall satisfaction.  Especially future service concerns.

Please be sure to read all of the fine print in the warranty.  The LA warranty has quite a bit which would concern me.

Take a look at the Everyday Hot Tub by Marquis if available.

Happy Shopping ;D ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 08:16:42 pm »
Lounges with leg jets can be nice, but only if the jets happen to hit you in the right place. And what is the right place today may not be the right place tomorrow. So HotSpring, and others, put larger jets at the foot of the lounger. That way, if you want to massage the legs, you simply rasie them a bit - one at a time is easiest - and the jet can work the leg from foot all the way up.

The JetStream jet is like a firehose underwater, and several of the HS tubs and one Tiger River tub have a JetStream at the foot of the lounger.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

chaz

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 03:41:21 pm »
Stu,

Did not mean to suggest that your wife is wrong.  Would never agree that Mercedes and Saturn are any alike, so can't get you off the hook.  However, in my test of the HS and LA I would not agree they are that far apart, in fact I and my somewhat height challenged (that ones for you too Lori) wife felt the LA fit better and was a better value for the dollar.  Just my opinion though as I know HS is a good builder.

As for the Chaz/Chas thing I have no solution.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 08:59:06 pm »
I started in this business with LA and have followed them throughout their history from A & H Equipment to the new owners group and although I'm happy that you have had a good experience with your spa I will adamantly stand behind the fact that other than they both have hot water and jets, there is no comparison between the two for engineering, performance, reliability, history and many other things.

Just so you know, I don't sell HotSpring nor do I like them as much as what I do sell however it's my opinion that they are leaps and bounds above LA. So you also know, my opinion is based off of many, many years of dealing with both brands, owning both brands, selling both brands and servicing both brands. Now that I sell neither it matters little to me what most people think of them, I just can't feel good about the comparison being anywhere close......

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 08:59:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42