What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Usage  (Read 2576 times)

matthewc

Chemical Usage
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:17:59 am »
I though I would actually make a post with some advice rather than always asking questions. I just hope it is factually correct.

Since I brought my tub some 5 months ago now, I have been using a very large amount of PH minus and TA plus to balance my tub. On several posts I had read it mentioned that you should never take a reading when the jets are on as this raises the PH. Well this got me thinking, if the air in the jets increases the PH would it save me chemicals if I turned off the air when I am not in the tub. On my tube it is possible to have the pumps ruuning with no air introduced and as the filter cycle runs for 8 hours a day, I though it would be worth a try.

So for the last two weeks I have been turning the air off everytime I leave the tub, so that during the two 4 hour filter cylces I add very little air to the water.

The result is that I have not had to add any PH minus or TA plus for the whole two weeks, whereas I would normally have to add chemicals on a daily basis.

Saves me money and is good for the environment.

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Usage
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:17:59 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Chemical Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 02:14:53 pm »
Also, I bet that the heater doesn't kick on as often since there's no air to cool the water - an added benefit!

matthewc

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 02:40:00 pm »
Just thought I would give you guys an update on my chemical usage since I turned off the air when leaving the tub.
Well, I am amazed, Since mid Jan I have only had to add one dose of TA Plus and a very small dose of PH minus. I have saved an absolute fortune on chemical compared to my old usage. Am I missing something or is it this simple?

Matt

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 06:17:48 pm »
I always turn off the air when closing the tub. I did it to conserve heat and didn't realize it would affect the PH. I don't add chemicals, except dichlor , hardly at all and the air off may be a factor. Thanks for the info...... Bobhol

Winnsome

• I love Hot Tubbbing and Boating.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 07:12:46 pm »
I knew that the air would lower the temperature and cause the heater to work more, but didn't realize the chemical aspect.  Thanks for the information.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 07:12:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42