What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: service calls  (Read 2266 times)

ffreeus

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
service calls
« on: February 16, 2005, 10:58:35 am »
I am pricing a envoy at a local dealer who is about $700 more than  a dealer who is about 30 miles away. the only difference is the cheaper dealer charges $75 dollors for service calls even if warranty work, after the first year,  the closer dealer does not. I Like both places What should I do is it common for dealers to charge for service calls

Hot Tub Forum

service calls
« on: February 16, 2005, 10:58:35 am »

Chris_H

Re: service calls
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 11:12:39 am »
Usually, there are major differences between the two prices you just received, not just the per-trip charge.  

The first difference is going to be a coverlift.  What type are you getting?  A Covermate I retails for about 200 bucks, where as the Hotspring Cover Cradle retails for about 500 bucks.  

Are you getting ozone?  If so, the Hotspring Freshwater III retails for about 400 bucks whereas a generic ozone system costs about 150 bucks.  

Are you getting steps? If so, maybe the more expensive dealer is using Hotspring’s Everwood Steps that retail for 400 bucks versus a generic plastic step that retails for 100 bucks.  

Just because they say they are included doesn’t mean you are getting the same thing.  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

75 dollars is a reasonable per-trip charge.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 11:36:51 am »
Another thing to consider is what if you need service for some reason from the close dealer.  Who do you think they'll give priority to, a customer with a relationship with them or one who bought from the guy out of town?
Maybe you don't care either way, but it's something to consider.
Brewman
Brewman

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 12:24:46 pm »
My opinion is to tell the dealer closest to you that they are $700 more expensive than the next guy.

It is very important as mentioned that you make sure you are comparing apples to apples (lifter, steps, ozonator).

Although I don’t agree with paying any service fee or trip charge when a product is under warranty it would take 9 service calls to equal that $700.

If you are calling for service 9 times after buying a HS than most likely you have a bought a lemon!

I would also look at who has been in business longer and what reputation they have.

I had the exact same problem with my HS dealer and they own 9 stores so they own the HS market in my area. I told them that I was aware it would not be smart to buy from another HS dealer so far away so I would just buy another type of spa instead (Caldera, D1)

My dealer came down and I will be buying my 05 Vanguard from them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 12:26:20 pm by drober30 »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 12:45:44 pm »
I had the exact same problem with my HS dealer and they own 9 stores so they own the HS market in my area. I told them that I was aware it would not be smart to buy from another HS dealer so far away so I would just buy another type of spa instead (Caldera, D1)

My dealer came down and I will be buying my 05 Vanguard from them.

The same situation with me. After visiting the Sundance dealer closest to me I had the opportunity to go to another a little further out in the other direction. Although not owned by the same individuals and with slightly different quotes, it was $1,130 cheaper. I went back to my original dealer and we settled on $1,000 reduction in his original quote. Six and a half weeks later my Optima arrived via a crane (like the stork really, 'cause it's my baby) over my house and voila.

I find that most dealers are reasonable when it comes down to negotiating a lower price for you. As long as you remain reasonable in what you think is fair, unlike others who would love a much lower price (now who am I thinking of here?) ;)

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:57:25 pm »
I was in a similar situation.  The dealer 30 minutes away had the envoy available to wet test.  It turns out that he was also $700 cheaper for essentially the same package.  I asked my local dealer if they would negotiate and they said "no" without even asking what the better price was.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 03:03:48 pm by tonyp »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:57:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42