What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa in a box  (Read 7155 times)

reynaldo2000

spa in a box
« on: February 11, 2005, 10:44:52 pm »
We just moved and had to give up a Hot Springs in the deal, and would like to put in a "cheapie" portable spa in our new house, in a small room in the basement that we will use as an exercise room. We cannot fit even a soft tub down the stairs and through the doorway, so I am looking at a portable model, something cheap and simple that we will use simply to soak in. At some point, we will get another HS   to put on our back deck, since we loved our previous one and had virtually no trouble with it.

My question is this, do you guys have any advice or words of wisdom on these cheap, less than $1500 models that are either inflatable or "spa in a box" setups? That is our only option for this room due to doorways and stairs.

Thanks from a newbie to the board !

Hot Tub Forum

spa in a box
« on: February 11, 2005, 10:44:52 pm »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Re: spa in a box
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 01:46:35 am »
Well, maybe more than $1,500, but try RHtubs for some nice small wood ovals. They come "in a box" and seem small...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 02:36:18 am »
I saw a spa at the aqua show....unsure if it was in the box or not...but it I think it was...it comes ready and is small enough to fit though most door ways..and unlike a soft tub it is actually a bit more molded.....should retail for close to 1500.00.....actually thought of carrying them....but unsure about the reliability...it may in fact be fine...but not really knowing...means you do know what you are getting into....

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 08:34:31 am »
Is there really such an animal? A $1500.00 spa that works ???
If so, for how long ???

reynaldo2000

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 10:49:42 am »
I'd keep the box and throw out the spa.  ;D

OK Steve, so what is the problem with these? Do they not heat well? Do they leak? Are they unsafe? Do you have experience selling these and found they are not reliable? As I mentioned in my post, we loved our Hot Springs model and will be buying one for our outdoor deck at some point, we just want a cheap, small, indoor model to put in the excercise room.

I am not looking for something with 35 jets and cost 8K.

Does anyone have any REAL EXPERIENCE with these? I am not looking for smartass comments but some real info based on data and experience.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:12:12 pm by ht-mod »

Q

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 11:22:44 am »
We cannot fit even a soft tub down the stairs and through the doorway, so I am looking at a portable model, something cheap and simple that we will use simply to soak in.

You can't even fit a Softub 140 in there?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:02:31 pm by ht-mod »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 12:14:53 pm »
what do you want to spend and are you looking for something very inexpenexive....If you are willing to spend about 3000.00 Marquis "Hideaway Spa" is designed to fit in 30" door opening.....it used to be known as the 212...and it is a very popular spa for us because of its shape and size....while being small it still offers great therapy and excellent filtration as well as ease of maintience...plugs into a standard 110 outlet...certianly not a disposable spa...

reynaldo2000

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 12:49:49 pm »
I understand that this is not a "real hot tub" and I tried to explain my dilemma with our staircase (which has a 90 degree bend) into the basement.  I have a 5 bedroom house with rooms to spare, a finished basement, a media room, a heated inground pool and 1.5 acres of prime land. It is in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city. I am also looking for some option for my two young children to enjoy water indoors during the cold midwest winter.

As far as what I will do when it is time for a new hot tub, I will shop around, go to several dealers in the area, and buy a quality product that lasts, most likely from the same dealer as last time, they treated me well last time and supported the sale with great service.

Take a look at your other threads here on this board, and read the posts regarding dealers jacking up prices, giving false quotes, ("make sure you get it in writing" is a common comment), not supporting the sale with service afterwords, etc. I would put many of the hot tub salesman in the same category as used car salesman, so if you think I am being paranoid you need to read the comments from other customers here on these same boards.

Thanks to those of you who provided positive feedback and suggestions.  

« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:06:34 pm by ht-mod »

Max78

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 01:24:45 pm »
I have yet to jump in on a thread that takes a turn such as this one did but this time I felt like I should.  I've not been on this board as long as some of you have but have been around for the last 8 months or so and ended up purchasing a spa 4 months ago based on all of the research I did, most of it from this particular messageboard.  I, myself, was treated with respect and received the answers I was seeking.  On the otherhand, I can see Reynaldo's frustration in this particular instance.  I think it started out with a legitimate question but most of the responses were enough to put anyone off.  I believe Reynaldo is just looking for a temporary fix until a new Hot Springs (which is a highly regarded brand on this board and was hailed so by Reynaldo) can be purchased.  Just because someone is not looking to purchase a high end spa (I have a Sundance) doesn't mean they don't deserve the same respect as those who are.  For what it's worth, that is my opinion.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 01:40:50 pm »
outside of Steve whose remark was more of smart a-- way saying what you will be getting for 1500....is not going to be worth the box it came in....who else posted anything that was insulting....I did not do so....I commented on the fact that I saw the spa at a industry show and thought about it, but questioned its quality.....and never said it was bad but only I was unsure about it.....I than pointed to something that from a size standpoint might work but would be more money and is not a disposal type of a spa...other posters pointed out to their own skepticism about something that can be sold for 1500.00 and be worth selling....I am sure most retailers here will tell you they would love to offer something that could be sold for that....it could be good business but also know that weather you spend 1500.00 or 15000.00 people are going to except the same thing as far as reliability and service and most dealers do not have the faith in that 1500.00 spa to put it on the floor knowing the headaches and trouble it may bring....a great line that reps often come in with who represent this type of spas is yeah its not as good as.....but hey you can sell it for only....xxx.....forgeting that the person who spends.....xxx.....still wants thier spa to be like the one who spent xxxxxxxxxxxx......so it is tough....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 01:51:46 pm by Mendocino101 »

Max78

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 02:11:57 pm »
I was not referring to you Mendocino.  I did not say all of the responses were enough to put anyone off.  I said most of the responses, but in retrospect, I guess I should have said some of the responses.  Those who gave a smartass response know who they are and those who didn't shouldn't feel defensive.  I'm sure the type of spa that Reynaldo is looking for isn't even sold by dealers so worries of demands for premium service after the sale shouldn't even be a concern.  That type of spa (I am guessing) would probably be sold by "big box" stores such as Lowe's, Sam's (although I believe they no longer handle spas), etc.. and would have no dealer to fall back on once there was a problem.  You get what you pay for and I think anyone who previously owned a Hot Springs (such as Reynaldo did) would now this better than anyone.  I didn't respond to start anything with anyone.  I just think if someone asks a legitimate question they deserve a legitimate response.  I agree there can be some questions that may not be legitimate but I think in this situation it was.

Q

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 02:13:20 pm »
Pardon me for being jocular. I was merely trying to point out that a Softub 140 could be your solution. It is only 60 inches in diameter and retails for $2995. The kids would be safe playing in it too because it's... well... soft! If you can't get it in there then I have no other solution for you.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:09:07 pm by ht-mod »

ht-mod

Lighten Up...
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 10:17:32 pm »
Thread has been edited for surly, sarcastic, and abusive content. Play nice.

There's no room here for pissing contests, regardless of how righteous you think you are.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 10:38:25 pm »
Ive worked on one of these.

The principle behind the Voyager, is a spa that comes in 8 UPS acceptable boxes and is assembled by putting together side modules that are held together by compression bands and covered with a vinyl liner. The equipment package slips over the side of the spa and has like 5 or 6 jets that move the water-- since they are on the pack itself, all the jets are on the same side. The 'cover' is inflatable and has a skirt that slips down over the edge of the tub.

The problems I see are--

* Inadequate filtration- (It's teensy.)
* Inadequate insulation (Including the spa cover filled with air.)
*Seating is limited to upright postions- there is no lumbar support.
* While it may fit 4 people, only one or two will get to use the jets.
* The vinyl liner is pretty easy to puncture- not what Id want in the basement, or in any indoor location.

nicker

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 03:57:57 pm »
ok here is the thing that would concern me before what tub will fit where.  What about the moisture hot tubs produce.  You have owned one so you have seen with your own eyes the steam coming off.  Well it has to go somewhere and into your walls and floor above it will do.  Then what, MOLD and lots of it.  I can't see this being a good idea.  That is unless your room was designed for to get rid of all that moisture.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 03:57:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42