What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Inspections on hot tub installations  (Read 4114 times)

ProfMark

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Inspections on hot tub installations
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:59:35 pm »
I made a decision last week and went ahead and purchased a Coleman 705.  Good price, dealer with an excellent rep (I checked), wet tested, etc.

A close friend of mine is an electrician.  He is doing the work running the lines and doing everything exactly according to code.   Because of the power of this unit, I needed a 60 amp circuit.   He has also encouraged me to get the installation inspected by our local electrical inspector.
I don't have a problem with this as I want everything to be correct.  Also, he mentioned that if everything is installed exactly to code and I have evidence of the building inspector approval, it would give the manufacturer one less possible reason to deny a warranty issue.

It is interesting that when I talked to my dealer and various other dealers, they all told me that, since it is not required, probably 90% of hot tubs are not inspected after installation.

I visited several friend who had spas from a few dealers.  Just from what my electrician friend told me, I could tell that every one of these was not to code.  One had the outside breaker box about 2 feet from the hot tub and another did not install an outside breaker box at all!  

Just curious on others opinions.  Have many people on this board had their installations inspected and approved?  I'd also like to hear from dealers and even some manufacturers, if any manufacturers follow this forum

Hot Tub Forum

Inspections on hot tub installations
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:59:35 pm »

JPKeirstead

Re: Inspections on hot tub installations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 08:17:49 pm »
My hot tub was inspected and I recommend it to anyone installing a spa.  If something were to happen, which starts at the electrical either at the spa or going to the spa.  Your home owner's insurance policy may not be honoured.  I personally wouldn't take the chance.  I don't believe in giving those insurance guys any chance to get out of their obligations.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 09:52:19 pm »
My township requires an inspection - you need a building permit for the tub.

You can run into trouble latter if the installation wasn't inspected.  If nothing happens electrically as JPK stated great, but if you go to sell your house you may have to fix all the problems. I think it's worth the price of the permit and inspection to C over Y our A $$ets.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 06:48:48 am »
Problem is if you had the electrical installed without a building permit you can get fined for that even if you do have it inspected.
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 01:00:37 pm »
Problem is if you had the electrical installed without a building permit you can get fined for that even if you do have it inspected.

In our town people who get 'caught' get fined about half the time - and it's just double the permit fee. The rest of the time,  everyone is happy if they simply get the permit and inspections after the fact.

Sometimes the inspector wants to really check the installation out and will ask to have all the electrical boxes and panels open when they arrive - primarily so they can see what size wire was used and how well grounded everything is. Also, they will ask to see how deep the conduit was burried ( a bunch of photos is a great idea here..) and the customer will have to dig some holes.

I try to encourage permits and inspections every time. If I suspect they are going to do a less than perfect wiring job, or if I see an unsafe situation, I will generally work with them to get it right, and occasionally I have to go out and just correct it myself. Easier by far than trying to talk them into a redo sometimes.

But the truth is that most of my customers make that decision while working with the electrician and not me, and most don't bother to get permits.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 02:15:30 pm »
I ain't saying nothin on the grounds it may incriminate me.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 08:35:07 am »
It varies by location.  Where I live, electrical inspectons, and a permit prior to starting work is required.  The state electrical board runs the inspections for electric, the city does all the other building, plumbing, etc. inspectons.
According to the person who inspected my spa, he orders corrections on spa installations more often than any other thing he inspects.  According to him, even the pro's need corrections often.  So unless you are absolutely sure your installation meets code, I'd suggest having it checked.  Why would you not want something this potentially dangerous checked out.  
It's a very small cost to pay, when you take the entire spa and insulation costs into consideration.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
There are other things to consider aside from the electrical. Here in the land of fruit and nuts, the inspection covers a few other items:
Five foot high fencing around the spa area or the yard.
Self-closing and latching gates.
Gate latch must be five feet from the ground.
Hose spigots in the area must have a vacuum-breaker on them.
No high-voltage power lines directly overhead.
A GFI-protected courtesy outlet in the vicinity of the tub: I can't recall just now the diemsions, but its something like more than 7 feet but less than 20 feet.
No electrical stuff within five feet - measured from the actual water.
Cold beverage waiting for the inspector.....
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 12:34:10 pm »
I had a "new construction" situation when my electrical was installed. The contractor ran a circuit from the main panel to an outside breaker box, along with installing a 50 AMP GFI. Everything was pre-wired and inspected to the box ($700 option in case you wondered).  I buried a cable to the tub 18" underground in 1.5" flex conduit, hooked up both ends and DIDN'T call the inspector....  It exceeds code, however....

Drewski

8)  
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 01:01:20 pm »
and DIDN'T call the inspector....  
Drewski

8)  

hmm....where do you live again? What's the number to regional there..?? ??? ;) ;D ;D

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 01:30:07 am »
NOW, NOW, behave yo'self R, otherwise no more chocolate...

:-X :-X :-X  ;D ;D ;D
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 01:30:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42