What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How much is delivery and setup worth?  (Read 3919 times)

Mike134

How much is delivery and setup worth?
« on: February 08, 2005, 09:56:27 pm »
I'm buying a hot tub that's a 04 model here in Chicago and hauling it myself to Upper Michigan. The dealer's closeout price included cover chemicals steps setup and delivery. Since I'm doing the delivery myself how much more in savings would be fair to expect?  The electrical hookup will be the easy part (I'm an electrician) reniforcing the elevated deck to a 100 PSF rating and getting a crane will be the challenge

Hot Tub Forum

How much is delivery and setup worth?
« on: February 08, 2005, 09:56:27 pm »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Re: How much is delivery and setup worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 10:35:56 pm »
Since I'm doing the delivery myself how much more in savings would be fair to expect?

This is somewhat of a trick question. In most cases, the spa is priced with delivery included. Most dealers I've dealt with, have had a $200.00 allowance for delivery costs. Realistically though, the delivery charge is proportionate to the difficulty, distance and duration that the actual installation requires. Crane services often drastically increase the charges as most companies have a two hour minimum at rates topping $100 an hour. Mileage also plays a factor...

But if you want to pat yourself on the back, just credit yourself for a $500.00 'virtual' savings. Whether you actual saved real dollars though in my opinion is debatable, because the guys that deliver spas for a living dont sweat nearly as much as 'Joe Customer' does delivering their own. ::)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:19:09 am »
I'd guess $200 easy.  For context, I'm paying $275 to have my pool table re assembled.  Not moved anywhere, just put back together.  It will take 2 people just to lift the slate into position.
Brewman
Brewman

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 08:53:31 am »
I just wrote the check for delivery for $200. I did the setup.

Would highly recommend that the actual tub you buy be filled with water at dealer and operated. Shows you that it works and holds water. After you handle it and it leaks, maybe not their problem?

I can see self delivery for long distances or buying from factory direct.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 09:55:39 am »
Even if you do you own delivery, I'd expect any factory defects to be covered by the warranty.  
Of course, any damage caused by you wouldn't be a factory defect, and not covered under warranty.
Prefessional delivery people worth their salt would be bonded or insured and would be liable to fix their screw ups.  Something to check on if your are arranging your own delivery.  
As for hookup, same applies.  If you goof it up, it's not under warranty.  
My spa came from the dealers warehouse, not the dealer's show floor.
I wouldn't want them to set it up and test it prior to delivery, and I doubt they'd want to, either.  
Brewman
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 10:41:08 am »
When I was in retail, we added delivery costs over and above the final total for this very reason. We charged $299 for delivery and set up within one hour of the store.

If the customer wanted to pick it up themselves, that cost obviously wasn't added. If a dealer wants to add to the confusion of total costs and have delivery as part of their total on all sales, they should also have a figure they're willing to deduct if the spa is picked up. This is usually discussed at the time of writing up the deal to prevent further negotiations like this.

There's costs to delivering a spa such as manpower, vehicle, insurance and the time involved. Our $299 price basically just covered our costs and in no way was a profit making aspect of our business. I disagree with the fact that many dealers include this in the price of the spa.

Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 10:47:24 am »
I think what we're trying to say is that delivery of the spa is often included in the spa price.  Not that the dealer did or didn't add a cost factor.
In my case, I paid $XXXX.XX for my spa, and that figure inculded delivery, startup chems, steps, cover, etc..
In any case, it stands to reason that a dealer makes their needed margin on the sale, covering all expenses, and hopefully a profit.
Brewman

Brewman

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 10:49:06 am »
The biggest concern that I would have is after the fact. Is there a service center that will cover the warrantees of the manufacturer? It really doesn't matter how much you spend on delivery, if you can't get it serviced at a later date, if needed.
You may have covered this already with the dealer or service center, I didn't see it in the thread so this is just a precaution for you.
Good luck... ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 10:49:40 am by hottubber »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 12:03:12 pm »
We cost out to the store $125 to $150 per hour for two men, a Truck, a spa dolly, all the tools, gas and insurance....That may be high in some cases and low in some cases but I feel that if you don't figure it that way you lose money.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 12:28:46 am »
I don't give discounts for picking up the spa. It always costs me more in time and aggravation when customers pick up their own spa.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 08:57:03 am »
We take 150.00 off if they pick it up at the store. I try to discourage a cash and carry on a spa unless they've had a spa before and the new one is going in the same place.

The farmers and ranchers up here are quite resourceful. Last summer I was the only one at the store when a rancher came to pick his spa up. Instead  of waiting for manpower, he used a series of steel pipes and wood blocks to jack up and roll the spa from our trailor to his.

All I did was hand him the next pipe or wood block and helped push the spa over to his trailor. Soon as he got it tied down the install crew showed up ;D

Spahappy :D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 09:37:29 am »
I don't give discounts for picking up the spa. It always costs me more in time and aggravation when customers pick up their own spa.

Believe me, we don't discount what we charge! I will give about $100 if they pick it up....I know that I will have extra trips and many, many phone calls because they chose to do it themselves.

Years ago I had a labor rate sheet in the shop that said;

In shop labor $40 per hour
If you watch  $60 per hour
If you help     $80 per hour

I don't discourage a customer from learning to do it themselves but not at my expense. One way or another I have to be paid for my services and those services include taking the time to share what I've paid dearly to learn. :)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 09:10:02 pm »
Our rates are as follows:

$70/hour to troubleshoot and the first hour.
$80 if you watch
$90 if you help
$100 if you have worked on it before
$110 if I discover you have been working on it before.
$500 if you stand there and tell me why it should be covered under warranty:

Dog's been a sleepin' on that lid since he was a pup, taint never hurt a thing afore now......

Or -

I only used the chemicals y'all gave us!

Or -

I ALWAYS keep the pH just exactly right. That's the purple one, right?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 09:58:51 pm »
$500 discount if they do it themselves and don't ask questions. $500 fee if they call with a single question. No charge if they let it be delivered. Makes it a two way deal... Could cost you more or less depending on what happens during the installation. I'm not a spa dealer and don't play on line (anymore).

We have a line in our business.
It's $150/hour if we do the work.
It's $250 hour if the client "helps"
Have to charge for that training...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Mike134

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 11:37:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I'd gladly let the dealer deliver but it's 400 miles away where it's going.  Same tub from a local dealer up north runs 1500 to 2 grand more.  Not worrried about handling 700 lb tub. Rig and move 3000 lb transformers all the time..

thank again....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 11:37:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42